XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

series 1 driver door fit and clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts
Default series 1 driver door fit and clearance question

When I originally bought my S1 it had an issue with the driver door catching on the front wing, which had caused a pretty big crease. I finally got round to start tackling this today but wasn't quite sure what to make of what seems to be going on. It seems as though the front wing is standing proud of the door, which is why it catches on it.

I just fitted a parts car wing (shown above) to make sure it wasn't just the original wing having issues, same result. The two vertical bolts between the hinges are not fitted here but even if they were it would still stand proud. You can see in the photo above where the door was damaged snagging on the other original wing.

There's definitely room to move the door back a bit based on the fit shown above at the rear of the door, and there's a bit of sag in the door when open. I have spare hinges and was thinking of taking the door off this weekend - it's never been off judging by the underseal on the top hinge - and seeing if I can finesse it a bit to get it tidied up. I'm painting the whole car when done so want to get the fit right...

Goal is to get the door opening cleanly without catching the front wing. Anyone else had this issue or have any ideas?

Last edited by olivermarks; 10-18-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

Years ago when I was doing body work on one of my Series 3s, a friend of mine who works at a body shop told me that the sequence for proper body panel fitment should be as follows if the rear quarter panel was not tampered with.
Rear door properly spaced with rear quarter and rocker panel.
Front door properly spaced with rear door and rocker panel.
Finally, the front fender since this is where most of the adjustment can be made, in, out, up or down.
Because the Jag is a unibody, adjustments should be made with the weight of the car on the suspension and level.
Unless the body has been reinforced like some members have done, not having the car level will cause the body to flex and if any panel adjustments are made with the body flexed, when the full weight of the car is on the suspension, the panel spacing between the front fender and the front door will be askew. Narrow at the top, wide at the bottom or vice versa.
Also, there is not a lot of adjustment on the hinge. Adjustment 'in' or 'out' is done on the door side of the hinge. 'front' and 'back' on the body side of the hinge.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks!
I've got the car up on the lift with no rear end in it (again...exhaust fit issues...) so I'll fine tune body when it's back on all fours. I don't think it has ever been hit but I cannot get my head around why that wing (and other ones too) are sticking out. I even thought of cutting and bringing the vertical bracket in a bit (The weird thing to me is that the front wing panel bulges in the middle but fits top and bottom) but there has to be something else going on.

Last edited by olivermarks; 10-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

See if these pics help

Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

oops! will try again. Trying to upload some pics with measurements from body structure to door panel at various points. Attached pics not uploading. Will try again later

Old 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ugh!!!

Another lost post, this one in the middle of compasition.

Distillewd version:

!. new scroll is clumsy and confusing,at least to me.

2. Quck reply unreliable

3. sanchez descrition is the best I've seen on panel adjustment

4. do ht edoor a bt first.

5. That wing is msshpen, somethong badlywrong there

6.Apologies for the lousy typing. Do not want ths post to vaporizw!!
Carl

Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My two bits, one only partly related:

1. The "new" scroll system is clumsy, at least to me. I was just catching on to the way it was....

2. Sanchez descriotion of where to begin panel adjustment is just so logical, I am amazed…