XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 2 new owner, lot of troubles ( idle speed , starting )

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 2 new owner, lot of troubles ( idle speed , starting )

hallo guys!
This is JPS from italy! 25 years after my granfather i bought a series 2 xj6 , european 1978 , i love it, it's smell the same of the gf one!
I got little trouble.

As son i picked the car , it was starting immediately , as a charm, topped up fuel , and afeter some km , the car started running badly like on 3 cylinder or something like it.

Well today i tryed to cranck the car, but nothing, car cranck , got spark (little spark ) fuel it's coming , spark plugs are ok and cleaned.. i removed air filter and carburettors bells ( su hif7) everything seems to be ok ( i'm not skilled on SU carburettor , but i'm good hanymen on vintage cars) i've added some atx fluid in the piston and tryed to crank... well car won't start and i see fuel coming out from air filter support! ( filter element and cover are removed).
Also i tried to manually pull up a little bit the piston of the carburettor , the inside one (near windshield) squirted out fuel , the outside (right one) squirted nothing or just little fuel.

After a little of working misteriously car started but was not running too good , also it was idling too low and die.

so now please:

how can tune up carburettors ? ( a friend with some england car suggested to look the float bowl needle , maybe it's stuck on the right carburettor , how to do this)

how can i raise the idle rpm ? ( when working car idle too low like 500 rpm and was stalling) i checked for screw and other things on the levering, only thing i could see are the two stop screw (one per carburettor) near the butterly housing.. any clue?

Please any help appreciated.

i want to run the car, and make a big suprise to my grandmother

CIAO DALL'ITALIA!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

SU carburettor spares here : -

List Vehicles - SU Carburetters

It will be a good idea to strip and clean the carburettors if the car has been standing for a long time. Excess fuel at the carbs indicates maybe the float valve, or a hole in the float. The ignition is pretty standard Lucas non-electronic stuff, and could probably do with a new set of points, and some lube down the centre post. Check the mechanical advance-retard mechanism is not rusted up. A new set of plug and coil leads could be useful.

One troublesome component is the cold start carburettor. Again, spares can be obtained from the above firm, (they make the carbs).

Old 01-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ditto Fraser's comments.

Fuel coming out of the air filter support is a classic sign that the float valve in the float chamber is stuck. Was the car sitting in storage before you bought it? Likely cause. Good news: easy fix. Pull the carbies and replace the float valve.

Got to fix the carbies before you try to re-set the idle.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Series1fan
Ditto Fraser's comments.

Fuel coming out of the air filter support is a classic sign that the float valve in the float chamber is stuck. Was the car sitting in storage before you bought it? Likely cause. Good news: easy fix. Pull the carbies and replace the float valve.

Got to fix the carbies before you try to re-set the idle.

Good luck!

yes car was unused, or used a little bit in the past, i will do this next week.