Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:55 AM
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Series 3 electrical issues

Hi all

Yesterday my indicators and hazards failed simultaneously. The fuses look good and I am wondering if anyone knows anything more about this issue. They were working perfectly fine and failed while not in use.

Incidentally my interior fan has suffered the same fate, it was working fine and suddenly has died, again while not in use. The demisting shutters sometimes work, however they are the only shutters that appear to be working.

Cheers

Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

"good-looking" fuses are not always "working" fuses.

Replace the fuse with a new one and try again, if the problem is not resolved by replacing the fuse or gently tightening the brass, fuse holder "springs", the next check is to substitute the Flasher Relay.

the interior Fan: which one? Driver's side or Passenger's side? or Both? (there are two fans).

with those, start with the same check: Replace the proper fuse and/or tighten the fuse holder springs.

Warning: disconnect the battery before using a metal tool at the fuse box, it's easy to cause a short circuit.

The following users liked this post:
NathanDD6 (08-15-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Many thanks Jose.
Indeed you have a point about the fuses, however the two items failing at the same time is what worries me, seeing as they are on separate fuses, however I shall definitely check them.

With regard to the fans it is both. They did not labour or sound jammed at any time while in use. I also cannot hear the vents adjusting themselves anymore when the temperature selection dial is turned (don't know if this helps).

Old 08-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by NathanDD6
Hi all

Yesterday my indicators and hazards failed simultaneously. The fuses look good and I am wondering if anyone knows anything more about this issue. They were working perfectly fine and failed while not in use.

Good idea to check fuse as mentioned....but two fuse failing at once seems slightly odd.

More likely the problem is with the flasher (as mentioned) or the hazard switch itself. Supply voltage for the signals and the hazard lights goes *thru* the hazard switch. Sometimes just a slightly vigorous exercising of the hazard switch will clear dirty contacts and bring both circuits back to life

Incidentally my interior fan has suffered the same fate, it was working fine and suddenly has died, again while not in use. The demisting shutters sometimes work, however they are the only shutters that appear to be working.

Cheers

When checking the climate control fuses (there are 4) don't forget the one hidden behind the RH side "cheek panel"....the panel that has the footwell air outlet. You'll see the fuse clipped to the side of the heater case on brown and brown/yellow wires

Behind the LH cheek panel is the climate control amplifier and it has a hidden fuse as well....on the black ground wire of all places. You'll see it if you root around in there.

Cheers
DD

NathanDD6 (08-16-2015)
Old 08-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

if not any of the fuses, then the next check would be the Blowers Relay, a large black relay with many wires connected to it. Not sure if your car is RHD or LHD, but on LHD cars, the large relay is behind the driver's side floor vent panel.

Attached Thumbnails Series 3 electrical issues-xj-lucas-ac-relay.jpg  
NathanDD6 (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 05:05 AM

Many thanks Jose and Doug, I shall check the above mentioned items, my car by the way is a RHD model.

Incidentally I have worked the hazard switch rather vigorously, sadly to no avail.

I shall report back on what I find.

Thanks again

Old 08-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

those Hazard switches are a pain, they break contact without warning, exercising them does not help, I would substitute it with a new one and be super-extremely careful when reconnecting the nearly one-thousand wires behind them. (just kidding, but there are a bunch of wires that need to be connected correctly).

If you decide to replace the Hazard Switch, once you remove the two tiny phillips screws that hold it in place, take a few pictures of the wire connections at the rear, you will not regret it.

NathanDD6 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 AM

Hi all

I have managed to find the problems

The indicator and hazard problem was due to bad (they are perfectly clean and shiny) connection on the flasher relay itself.

The problem with the interior fans must also be a bad connection as I took her for a drive and the problem went away.

Thanks again Doug and Jose.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:32 AM

Hi again

I spoke too soon it seems, the interior fans have died again, I have managed to verify that there is no power to the fuse in the fuse box under the drivers side (I'm RHD)...

Any ideas what the trouble might be?

Many thanks
Nathan

Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

have you checked the large Relay box connections?

one of the wire connections, the one in the center of the relay, has a screw which tightens the connector to the terminal. Is it tight? (disconnect the battery before trying to tighten it).

NathanDD6 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks Jose, I'll check that. Does power go through this relay before it reaches the fuse-box?

Thanks
Nathan

Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Supply voltage for the load side of the relays (the relay box is 4 relays in one box, actually) comes from the 50-amp fuse in the Aux fuse box....fuse #16 (35 amp in USA speak).

Control voltage to the relays gets tricky

Just check/clean/replace all four climate control fuses to be sure. There are two in the Aux fuse box. A third is behind the RH cheek panel, clipped t the side of the heater case. It's in a white fuse holder on some brown/yellow wires. The fourth is behind the LH cheek panel on the black ground wire to the climate control amplifier. This last one is least likely to be a problem so begin with the others.

Cheers
DD

NathanDD6 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Nathan, yes, assuming the fuses are allowing power to go through.

NathanDD6 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
Nathan, yes, assuming the fuses are allowing power to go through.

It does?

The original question was:

"Does power go through this relay before it reaches the fuse-box?"

Please look at the diagrams and tell us how voltage comes *from* the relay pack and goes * to * the fuses.

Cheers
DD

NathanDD6 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Many thanks Doug and Jose, I'll check and report back.

Nathan

Old 09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Nathan,

if any fuse is bad / blown, there will be no 12 volt power to the fans.

NathanDD6 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:27 AM

Hi again

I checked all the fuses, all are good and making a good contact. There is 12V to the relay box. I'm RHD so my fuses are located in the main fuse box, #6 fuse is not getting 12V delivered to it, however #3 is.

Doug you mentioned a fuse holder on brown/yellow wires. This fuse is good, however with the fuse removed, both ends of the fuse holder go to ground... Seems strange, is this correct?

As mentioned Jose, this is my problem, the fans have no power to them (no power at the #6 fuse which runs the fans) where does the power come from before it reaches the fuse box?

Many thanks

Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again

I checked all the fuses, all are good and making a good contact. There is 12V to the relay box. I'm RHD so my fuses are located in the main fuse box, #6 fuse is not getting 12V delivered to it, however #3 is.

LHD vs RHD might present some differences....

#6 fuse provides supply voltage to the mode control switch. #6 is fed by the "ignition load relay" which powers-up several circuits. Is anything else on the car not working?

As far as the climate control goes, is it just the fans that are inoperative? Or is the entire system dead? In other words, with the mode switch in 'auto' can you hear the servo whirring if you adjust the temp knob?

#16 fuse (your #3 fuse, I reckon) fuse provides supply voltage to the relays. This 50-amp fuse is direct battery feed. But the relays also need 'trigger' voltage.

Doug you mentioned a fuse holder on brown/yellow wires. This fuse is good, however with the fuse removed, both ends of the fuse holder go to ground... Seems strange, is this correct?

In this case specifically I'm not sure.... but it isn't unusual for an 'at rest' circuit to show ground.

As mentioned Jose, this is my problem, the fans have no power to them (no power at the #6 fuse which runs the fans) where does the power come from before it reaches the fuse box?

From the ignition load relay.

But, it sounds like your relay pack does have supply voltage. What is might be lacking is control voltage to trip the relays inside. This comes from the servo. As I see it, the servo cannot operate without the mode switch being powered up, which brings us back to your #3 fuse.

Cheers
DD

NathanDD6 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Everything else that I'm aware of works, nothing has stopped working at the same time as the fans. I cannot hear the servo's whirring anymore though, but they whirr when the fans do work, (which hasn't been at all lately, I'm thinking it's a bad connector though as after they first died they came back to life and then died again and haven't worked since) the windscreen demist vents (vacuum operated?) still work though, I can hear them move as well as see the little vacuum mechanism (?) that operates them move, under the cheek panel. I'll see if I can locate the ignition load relay and check the contacts.

Many thanks

Old 09-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Everything else that I'm aware of works, nothing has stopped working at the same time as the fans.

Which suggests that the load relay itself is OK

I cannot hear the servo's whirring anymore though, but they whirr when the fans do work,

Which suggests that the mode switch.....which also might be described as a master on-off switch as well....is not getting powered -up, due to lack of voltage from the fuse.

(which hasn't been at all lately, I'm thinking it's a bad connector though as after they first died they came back to life and then died again and haven't worked since)

A poor connection is very likely, yes

the windscreen demist vents (vacuum operated?) still work though, I can hear them move as well as see the little vacuum mechanism (?) that operates them move, under the cheek panel.

Not surprising. The demist function is partially divorced from the rest of the system, almost a stand-alone thing.

Cheers
DD

NathanDD6 (09-08-2015)

Quick Reply: Series 3 electrical issues