XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

series 3 xj6 oil leak.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:31 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I would drain the oil. That teturn pipe is below oil level where it meets the sump.

I have not done that task on a S3, but that manifold fairly blocks any top access from memory.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I jacked her up, put the axle stands under her. nice and stable. First obstacle beaten. Next obstacle was to remove oil filter. Failed. I tried and tried. went and got a filter wrench with teeth, still wont budge. Nothing I tried worked. As it is a fairly new filter, I was going to re-use it. Now have to buy a new one and do the screwcdriver through the old one to try and get it off.

Give up, move onto trying to fix the oil pressure sender. Add a grounding wire to the blade that was missing one. Gauge now reads below 0 mark. swap them over, blade reads below 0 mark. Scratch head, have another look. Realize that the wire I was using to temporally connect to the ground on the battery was connected to the positive. Change wire. Gauge now shoots over to the other end of the gauge when key turned on. Swap wires on sender, same result. Pull earthing wire off and give up. need new sender.

While I was at it, I thought I would try and fix the horn, which sounds like it should be on barbies toy car. Long story short, need a new horn.

Next, try and fix the passenger door outside lock. It sometimes pops out. Long story short, failed, gave up.

Theeen I tried to get the aerial to go up. I know the electric motor and relay are buggered. Pull the unit apart, manage to get the cable drive partially disconnected, about 6 inches sticking out, then it snapped. Bugger. Pushed it and lo and behold, the aerial rose about 3 inches. Grabbed it and pulled it up about 10 inches. The radio suddenly got perfect reception (Yay). Right, finally something sort of worked. Need new aerial.

Gave up, went inside and had whiskey...........

Result of a days tinkering, one tiny task sort of accomplished but not properly fixed, many failed tasks, and a big dent in a bottle of whiskey. Typical Jag owners day ain't it?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Default series 3 xj6 oil leak.....

ok. managed to source the parts. I emailed Renno jag, got great and fast service. very happy with them. the parts arrived the next day. very happy. i did notice on the invoice that came with the parts that they came from Rodney Jag. would've been a bit cheaper to buy direct from them, but no matter. (this is in New Zealand )

Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM

Quick update.
Oil leak is FIXED!!!!!!
I got a friends son who has recently finished a mecanics course to have a go at it for me. 1) because he has more tools than me and 2) he has the patience of a saint compaired to me.
He managed to get the oil filter off, after bending 2 different filter removers, driving a FBS (F***ing Big Screwdriver) through the middle, and getting a truck chain style oil filter remover on to it. I saw the results of it. totally mangled, but it was OFF. then it was just the *simple* task of removing bolts that have being there for 30 years. we all know that story.......
End result, the leak was defanently from the o rings on the oil cooler fitting to the filter block head thinggy. I got that gasket replaced at the same time.
I paid the guy, and after he told me the fun he had, I gave him a bottle of home made 100 proof Jamacan style rum for his Birthday. He deserved it after that :-)

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Learned a lot from this thread, including that my budget sheet needs a new column to allow for plenty of medicinal liquid...never mind

Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by jagent
Learned a lot from this thread, including that my budget sheet needs a new column to allow for plenty of medicinal liquid...never mind
HELL YES.

Bandaids also need to be purchased in BULK.

Spanners (wrenches for some markets) need duplicates. That way the ones you throw across the garage are readily replaceable.

Vocabulary, oh my, that will get a hiding, trust me.

FUN HAD, absolutely PRICELESS.

Do it all again, IN A HEART BEAT.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Daf11e (07-26-2015), jagent (07-26-2015), o1xjr (07-26-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM

That column could get quite pricey. Thankfully I brew my own spirits. WAY cheeper.

Grant, couldn't agree more to that whole statement

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_gib:
Grant Francis (07-26-2015), jagent (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
HELL YES.

Bandaids also need to be purchased in BULK.

Spanners (wrenches for some markets) need duplicates. That way the ones you throw across the garage are readily replaceable.

Vocabulary, oh my, that will get a hiding, trust me.

FUN HAD, absolutely PRICELESS.

Do it all again, IN A HEART BEAT.
LOL!

Grant Francis (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Richard_gib
That column could get quite pricey. Thankfully I brew my own spirits. WAY cheeper.

Grant, couldn't agree more to that whole statement

Looks like home brewing is my next hobby then. I dunno, what a dedicated lot we are..

Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Looks like home brewing is my next hobby then. I dunno, what a dedicated lot we are..
Yep, we are are all devoted to the cause here.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:03 AM

Dedicated is the optimum word here.

This is the next project, found in a container, and I have been tasked with sorting it. Apparently the rest of it is in the same container, SOMEWHERE, and its a 40ft container, and its also full of of other car "junk".

Supposed to be a 1941 Singer 9. HAHAHA. NO manuals., nothing.

I reckon my retirement is going to be busy.

series 3 xj6 oil leak.....-ssa42137.jpg

Much JD will be consumed FOR SURE.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Attachment 116102

I reckon there are a few bits missing, here are some pics of a 1949 Singer I came across on the Sunshine Coast earlier this year...Good luck

series 3 xj6 oil leak.....-dsc_8161.jpgseries 3 xj6 oil leak.....-dsc_8162.jpgseries 3 xj6 oil leak.....-dsc_8163.jpgseries 3 xj6 oil leak.....-dsc_8164.jpg

Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 AM

HAHAHA.

I have saved those snaps, it is more than I currently got.

Google will get used when I eventually get to it.

NICE looking car at the end.

The owner (Trevor, Ex Blue Goose) has a manual on its way from the UK, so maybe a tad easier than the P3 Rover I just sorted.

I suggested a V12 install would be a sensible upgrade, NO sense of humour from him at all.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Grant:

That Singer or parts thereof looks alike a barrel of fun. and, it appears that some one with a sense of distorted humour threw in at least one part that had no relation to the sort of car in question.

At one time, I had the idea of setting up a home brew facility ionthe buyildiog that was my old office. it is fallow.

But, the local markets seem to have a contest of selling really nice crafts beers at a bargain price.

Was wondering what IPA was. Checked. India Pale Ale. A slightly more hoppy ale than usual. Once prepared for export to India. Didn't like it particularly.

Now, I know.

Carl

Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Dedicated is the optimum word here.

This is the next project, found in a container, and I have been tasked with sorting it. Apparently the rest of it is in the same container, SOMEWHERE, and its a 40ft container, and its also full of of other car "junk".

Attachment 116102

Good luck, but I suspect you'll revel in it! (the car, not the JD)

Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 AM

Ahunt this is the thread i was talking about

Old 06-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xj6 oil leak

While you venture underthere for that sender, have a GOOD look at the oil return hose coming off the rear of the oil filter alloy housing. It is abut 40mm long, 1/2" (12.5mm) internal diameter, and held in place by 2 clamps. It by-passes oil back to the sump when the engine is cold (pressure is highest), and dribbles oil back when hotter.

It is a very common leaker on the S2 engines, mainly coz you can see it from above.

The hose goes rock hard over time, and simply leaks.

Changing it is a laugh a minute. You will need to drain the engine oil, and purchase the SPECIFIC GENUINE JAGUAR o/ring for the pipe at the top face of the sump bowl, then consume much alcohol, and go for it.

The hose is simply standard hydraulic hose, and 2 good quality clamps.
Thanks for the information. My XJ6 Series 85 model has a major leak and leaves a trail of oil wherever I park the car and I'm concerned I will loose the engine soon if I don't get this I'm resolved.

I'm gonna follow the steps as recommended here to try and identify the source of this leak as I miss driving this beautiful car. It's parked at the moment while I source parts. I'm driving the xk8 4.2 in the meantime.

Thanks for the advice,

Njanji
South Africa