XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series II part out what’s it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series II part out what’s it worth?

Hi all! I’m pretty new to jags. I kind of fell into a couple. I have a 1976 xj12-L with 35,000 original miles on it that I want to part out. It was parked in a barn in 1985 with a bad brake line. The new brake lines were purchased and set it the back seat. And that’s how I acquired it, sunk into the dirt floor barn with the new brake lines still laying in the back seat. The barn was home to a steady line of cats, so there is no mouse damage. It only took two hours of simple prep and I had the engine running no problem. Sounds great. Issues are, the underside of the car rotted away from sinking into the dirt floor of the barn and the title holder is since passed away and the kids don’t want bothered with getting a replacement title. So I want to part it out to fund my custom jag project of putting a 1974 v-12/ borgwarner gear box into my 1999 x308 xj8 L.

My question is, what’s the parts worth? What should I ask for the various components? What if someone wants the whole car for parts? Obviously I want to get a good price especially since I’ll probably to the work getting the stuff out, but I also want to get the stuff sold and give everyone a reasonable deal to help with their projects. Also, the 1974 v-12 I have, I plan on selling the carbs and intake system, as I plan to build a custom intake and carb system for it. Any idea what that chunk is worth? Thanks in advance for any help or constructive criticism!

Old 07-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts

A lot of work and you'll still have stuff leftover for the scrap yard. I would suggest putting an ad in the Forum classifieds and sell it all at once cash and carry. I once bought a pickup, took the transmission out for my project, sold the bed cap on Craigslist and sold the rest to a guy that needed a bunch of parts. He came with a trailer and cash and off it went. In other words I got my transmission for free.

If you live on the east coast, David at everydayxj.com buys cars and parts them out so he might be interested. He is in North Carolina. Also, Welsh Jaguar in Stubenville Ohio.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Skramer
...My question is, what’s the parts worth?...
Mostly, whatever you can get for them.
Some prospective buyers will sniff at whatever price you ask, no matter how reasonable, and others will jump at whatever you ask no matter how outrageous it may seem.

It all boils down to if your part and the person who Needs it collide in the same Cosmic String at the same Instant of Time.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Doug (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup.

Sell it whole for whatever you can get. if it get's 'cherry picked" disposing of the 'carcass can be an issue. A possible buyer might just be a person with a similar car as a parts car.

Not every one has a means of hauling derelict cars. Truck and trailer, etc...

I oft refer to a concept as Elinor describes. "when the paths of the comets cross". her description far more eloquent.

A BW 12 box for your 99 XJ8 !!!!! As an old and crude slush box as you can get.
Tough, sure, but only three speed. plus time alone has probably done it no good.

As to value, as stated "willing buyer as you are a willing seller. Amount??? whatever you agree on...

Dependent on where you are, yeah perhaps David Boger is a possibility. Around here, Jaguar heaven in Stockton.

Carl
But

Old 07-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yup.

A BW 12 box for your 99 XJ8 !!!!! As an old and crude slush box as you can get.
Tough, sure, but only three speed. plus time alone has probably done it no good.

But
Would you happen to know if the Chevy turbo 400 that jag used in the late 70’s-80’s would bolt directly to the 1974 v-12 block? There is a case for sale on eBay and I have a turbo 400 I could pull the guts out of......