XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series III engine and BW66 transmission - worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Series III engine and BW66 transmission - worth anything?

"Ran when parked" 20 years ago (and ran briefly on starter fluid last week) 1983 series III engine with 90k miles. Is it worth anything to put it up on craigslist, or scrap value only? I've decided to swap to an LS engine and trans, just wondering if these are worth anything for parts and to recoup a little of the swap cost.

The following users liked this post:
bill70j (07-10-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi Cabel...
Scrap is essentially worthless now, about 4 cents per pound in our area, so I don't even take that into consideration any longer...
My philosophy on engines is simple.. Is it something I'd want to put directly into my own car given the amount of work and time it takes to do the swap, or would I want to do a refurbishment of the engine prior to reinstall? That makes a lot of difference on the pricing, especially if it has to be shipped.
From my own experience, you'd do better selling it in parts than as a whole unit, but then again you have to figure your time into the equation. The head has some value to it, as well as bits off the engine.. In the past couple of years I've had more requests for engine blocks as some cracks are starting to show between the cylinders, but then again that requires the expense of a cleaning and Magnaflux prior to shipping out, and a loss if it doesn't pass...
At 90K miles, I'd suspect a head gasket replacement is coming up on a running daily driver, so it may be more of a consideration on a car that has sat for 20yrs...
For transmissions that have to be shipped I almost always consider them rebuildable cores.. but if you can sell them locally it may be worth taking a chance it's OK..
You always have to consider the question as to why it was parked 20 years ago if it was operational...
So there are considerations.. but if you can find a buyer locally who's looking for a project, it may benefit your upcoming project..

Cheers,
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, David has it down pat.

I might add a couple of thoughts. For the thing as a chunk, the local market is everything. When my DOHC at about 115 miles went down, no one wanted it's heathy BW 66. I ended up giving the engine and trans still coupled away free. The guy that took "collected" old Jaguar stuff.

I did sell and shop off various smaller stuff. Radiator, shroud, alternator, distributor, shift tower, AC compressor, engine fan, aux fan, etc. So, all in all not too bad...

I gave away the drive shaft to a fellow Jaguar owner.

Still have some of it. Air pump, no one wants them! Air body, odd, it is still here, as well as the starter. The latter promised long ago, but not picked up???

With abundant back sight, I might have fixed the DOHC!!! I kinda liked t!!!!

Carl l

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (07-09-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabel
" just wondering if these are worth anything for parts and to recoup a little of the swap cost.
When I pulled the drive train from my '87 XJ6, the BW66 worked fine. I advertised it as such on Ebay, and got $575 for it, plus shipping.

I put it in a cardboard box and UPS shipped it 1500 miles from here at a very reasonable price.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, David has it down pat.

With abundant back sight, I might have fixed the DOHC!!! I kinda liked t!!!!

Carl l
That thought would've left you the first time you floored it at a short on-ramp to a busy interstate.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, no ! Not the 'hottest" of critters in my decades. But, it was adequate for the local freeways. On it's last day, I was a bit concerned over it's ability to "hang" with fast traffic on east bound on CA's 580 Altamount pass. It did just fine.

In the 60's I handled SOCAL freeways with 36HP VW Beetles. The just over 100 HP Corvairs seemed "hot'.

But, no doubt, my Lt1 powered 83 XJ can match or better most !!

My venerable 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, not so much, but under 50 mph, quite lively.

Just use what is one has. Old racer mantra...

Carl

Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Scratching my head here - have your highway / freeway speed limits changed? Last time I was there (CA) you could only poodle along at max. 55 or 65mph! Similar to ours, such freeway limits are ridiculous. The wind could blow us along at those speeds, I struggle to keep my 4.2 within the limit!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Tony:

Some open roads allow 70. The locals still at the numbers you recall.
But, few drive at those speeds. More like 70 or beyond.

I5 traffic seems to cruise at 80!!!

Carl

Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
Scratching my head here - have your highway / freeway speed limits changed? Last time I was there (CA) you could only poodle along at max. 55 or 65mph! Similar to ours, such freeway limits are ridiculous. The wind could blow us along at those speeds, I struggle to keep my 4.2 within the limit!
My '86 l6/700r4 has no trouble maintaining 80, but getting there in a hurry is another matter. I'm with Carl to an extent as my first car was a '64 beetle with a 40hp motor. I could get where I was going, and cars and speeds were different back then, I could drive it on the interstate with the other beetles, but today would be a different story. I-75 speeds are routinely 80 and 90 mph. Gotta remember too, our 2015 Pilot handles better at 90mph than a beetle did at 60!
That said, I'd hate to have to drive the xj6 at 85 or 90 for a couple hours stretch.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Tony:

Some open roads allow 70. The locals still at the numbers you recall.
But, few drive at those speeds. More like 70 or beyond.

I5 traffic seems to cruise at 80!!!

Carl
OK, makes sense Carl.

Our *official* upper limit in this state is 110kph / 68mph (although the NT has some "no limit" highways through the desert). Many ignore the limits, although the official revenue raisers are having an increasing love affair with their camera's at our expense!

That aside, I've never felt any shortcomings in the Jag's acceleration or cruising speed abilities, quite the opposite in fact. She is in fine fettle though!