XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series II Vacuum HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Series II Vacuum HELP!

A vacuum line fell off of my car & I do not see where the other end of it hooks up at to reconnect it. The one end connects at the firewall or inner fender on the passenger (Right) side of the engine bay. The line is only about a foot long but I cannot see anywhere for it to hook up to (& I know it was hooked up because I used it to suck Seafoam into the car once before & it had suction so I know it's not a leftover from the conversion).. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also the location of the vacuum canister if anybody knows that too. I am having transmission trouble and was told it may be vacuum related by the transmission shop down the road so I am trying to get everything inspected and hooked up properly. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

As I recall, the vacuum reservoir was on the RH side right at the back of the wheel arch inside the engine bay underneath the wing. It's about 4" across. On the other side is the windscreen wiper motor. It may be the other way around on US cars, as I'm describing my old Series 3 I had up to 2002.

As your 'lost' vac line is so short, might it not need connecting to the vacuum-controlled heater water valve on the bulkhead ?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts
Default Series II Vacuum HELP!

Not sure about the series II but on the series III the vacuum reservoir is opposite side of the windshield wiper motor as the previous poster suggested, in the engine bay, under the fender - look under the fender by the brake booster. Regarding the vacuum line, one comes out of the firewall to the heater valve control on the center of the firewall. The other is to a check valve, probably hidden under some wires just above the connections (next to and above the battery. I hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still trying to figure it out but it seems to be running beautifully without it lol but if it's supposed to be there then I would like it to be hooked up right *shrugs* speaking of wiper motor I need to see if I can get those working again too... they worked one time when I first got the car I accidentally turned them on, got them to turn off and now they don't work at all lol always one thing after another with this thing but it's definitely worth the pain

Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the wiper issue is probably just a loose connection, at least that's where I'd start looking. its always nice when a problem is as simple as replacing a spade connector, instead of the whole unit, whatever it may be haha.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vacuum

Had the same problem last Friday.... At the underside of the inlet manifold, I found the connection for the vacuum tube to the distributor.
I have a Daimler sovereign 4.2 (aka Jaguar XJ type III) 6 cylinder...

I hope this helps

Old 06-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 1977 XJ12L with 20k miles I am working on. Only saying this as it is bone stock.

The only vacuum line that I see on the passenger inner fender is in the photo. It connects to a metal line on the engine side and snakes under the v-shaped black metal tubes joining in the center of the cowl. It feeds the power brake booster. It is hard to see the metal tube the hose connects to as it is hidden under the black tubes.

From the inner fender side of the hose a metal vacuum tube runs towards the front of the car (behind some plating and plastic bits) and then down towards the bottom of the radiator where it passes through the inner fender into the wheel well where you will find the vacuum cannister.

Edit - I don't know much about these cars but the cannister (a cannister at least) is in the front of the tire -far forward under the fender.

Attached Thumbnails Series II Vacuum HELP!-resizedimage_1370893861535.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 06-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.