XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sigh...'86 XJ6 SIII...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sigh...'86 XJ6 SIII...

ok, so I am new here... hi! I guess I wish I were out driving but I suppose we all know why I am not...

1st question: I bought a Lucas alternator off of eBay(I know, I know) and guess what? It doesn't work! weird huh? so with the alt removed from the car, I read 12.5 across the batt posts, but 11.5 from neg post to the disconnected neg cable... does that make sense to anyone? The alt was only giving me, like 10.3 or so...
I did go through all the fuses/relays I could find, yes those under the console too, and removed each of them... still reads 11.5... I don't know why this is.

2nd question: I have two photos. assuming I can figure out how to make them seem on here, the red wire seems to be a previous owner thing... It doesn't look like it should be there.... does anyone know why it might be present and/or remedies for this situation? Ok, no photo... the red wire I speak of is coming off of the top white wire right beside the coil and runs to the middle grey relay on the top of the firewall....

3rd question: next photo. yes, another previous owner thing... I am guessing this is a vacuum valve, and I am also guessing something isn't working properly. How will I find out?Ok, no photo, the valve behind the engine, mounted to the firewall in the middle of the car, has been zip-tied..... I haven't removed this tie yet, but it clearly doesn't belong....

Well, thats it for now.... any help would be awesome, the car did run and drive very well for us, but I am now painting it and have occasion to look a little closer at things.... Wife says it 'surges' sometimes, hence the replacement alt. a/c did not seem to work, probably related to the tied off vacuum valve. Just obtained Jaguar SIII Service Manual, which in addition to the (crappy) Haynes should help me a bit, but I prefer good advice from real people!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

My advice is to read your recently acquired Service Manual; its written by chaps who knew the car and is a mine of information. Try to get the similar colour and size Parts Manual, as it shows the layout of lots of subassemblies.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Further to my last post, for Item 3, the vacuum valve, As I remember this is to control the coolant supply to the heater, i.e turn the heat on or off, although there are also mixing flaps in the heater/air con box that blend hot and cold air. I think Jaguar had to put this in to make sure no heat passed for those people living in very hot climates. Prevous valves were worked by the driver via a Bowden cable, (it was this way on my old Mark 2).

I can't really help you on the electrics side, you need to study the wiring diagram, and............read the Service Manual !!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeahhhh... just did some reading, ow my eyes hurt.... some online info from jag-lovers and yeah, the service manual... seems like I could spend a few days in the garage.... I will let you all know how it plays out.