Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default speedo cable

Hi again,

I'm still wrapping up odds and ends on my XJ6C. One thing the car never had was a speedo cable. So, since I didn't remove it, I have no idea where it goes. I ordered a single cable type since I don't have the service interval counter. Does anyone know how it routes? Does it go thru the firewall? or maybe the transmission tunnel? Also, I remember a right angle drive attached to the back of the speedo on one of my other XJ6s I had years ago. This one doesn't have one. Is it missing along with the cable?

Thanks,

Steve

76 "S1" coupe

Old 10-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Steve,

Not sure about the speedo cable as mine has toyota 5 speed so not original..

But wow that looks good with a S1 front..well done.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:46 PM

Jonny,

I rebuilt the motor and wanted to retro fit an e-type manual but could not find one at a reasonable price. Plus I needed the 3rd pedal and linkage and other jiblets so I settled on the original automatic.

I've heard about 5 speed swaps but need to know more. Did you swap it yourself? If you did, which Toyota 5 speed is it? Where did you get the pedal and linkage? Is it mechanical or hydraulic? What bell housing did you use? Were you able to use the original spring loaded (what a nightmare!) trans mount? or did you have to fabricate something?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Steve,

No PO did the swap so unfortunately I don,t have much info on that other than its a alloy case supra gearbox..possibly a W57 ..from a little research. My car was originally a 2.8 man so pedal box all existing,bell housing is modified jag,clutch is hydraulic(original jag) ,slave cylinder original jag,gearbox x member looks to be modified original jag and I think from memory its a jag pressure plate with modified liner ie jag outer toyota inner spline.
Compared to driving other man jags of that era the gearbox does seem a bit smoother to change etc.Engine is a modified 3.8 and it seems a great combo !
Years ago I fitted a toyota celica gearbox to a 1974 V6 ford Capri and there weren't too many issues to deal with from memory.

Attached Thumbnails speedo cable-15328718-5750747_orig.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
steve_schmidt (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Thoughts:

1. Jiblets, what a great word!!! related to giblets???

2. My guess for the speedo shaft route would be through the
tunnel and up via the console space to the speedo. It would be a rather big hoe in the fire wall. Any pre 81 or so Jaguars in the local breakers. Check the routing there. I think that is about where the electric speedo's came in.

3. J-l lister Dwomby posted his travails with an auto to stick conversion. Good detail there as to one way to do it. It seems the
bell housings and pedal boxes can be added to and reused. A hydraulic throw out bearing would seem to simplify the link issue.

Yeah, a newer box would have improved synchros.

Great car....

Carl.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:34 AM

Carl,

Yea, jiblets, been designing and architecting computer electronic processors, memory and networking equipment for years. Jiblets usually refers to all the miscellaneous (but necessary) components needed to manufacture a printed circuit board. The meaning seemed to fit here also......

Thanks for the tips on routing.

Steve

Old 10-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

My car has a mechanical speedo cable installed by the PO. Not sure if this is the stock routing for a SII, but it works on my SIII.

It enters the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. I took a couple photos since I have my transmission out at the moment.

Inside the cabin, I've noticed the cable when I remove the passenger side cheek panel. It then runs behind the left side of the rear of the glovebox. Then it runs under the dashcap to the speedo. I think there are a couple of brackets under the dash cap that it has to go through, rather than over when you are routing it. There is no angle drive on mine, the cable goes directly into the back of the speedometer.

You might also look into what it would take to use a electronic speedo from a SIII.

Attached Thumbnails speedo cable-image.jpeg  
Old 10-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Another photo.

Attached Thumbnails speedo cable-image.jpeg  
Old 10-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Default speedo cable routing resolved

Hi again,

So, I went out into the garage around noon, jacked up the coupe, put it on stands and started looking around. I found the remainder of what use to be a speedometer cable poking out of the RH side of the transmission tunnel. I then pulled the small interior panel forward of the console on the right hand side of the tunnel and found some more of the cable. I traced the cable and it disappeared behind the glove box. I opened the glove box to start to remove it and found a plastic plate in the back of the glove box with a screw in it. I removed the screw and plate and found the service interval counter that I didn't think I had, connected to the cable. On the output side of the counter there was a cable connected and it appeared to go behind the air conditioning ducts. This was puzzling because I had previously stuck my hand up behind the speedometer and felt around finding nothing hooked to the speedo and the right angle drive missing. Where did it go? So I removed the speedometer and started looking around in the maze of wires and stuff, and found the right angle drive jammed into a small opening under the air conditioning ducts. The only thing I can think of is that the PO must have attempted to fix the problem when the speedometer stopped working, gave up, and then sold me the car. I unhooked the right angle drive, got a length of wire, tied it and taped it to the cable and pulled the cable from the glove box side(with counter attached) leaving the wire hanging out of the speedometer hole. After removing the counter, I untaped the wire from the cable and retaped to the other segment of cable still poking thru the transmission tunnel and pulled it thru to the garage floor. Now I had a wire routed from the garage floor all the way to the speedometer hole. I tied and taped the new one piece cable to the wire at the garage floor and then pulled it all the way thru to the speedometer hole. There were a few snags along the way like the grommet in the transmission tunnel and the tight space under the air conditioning ducts but I got it thru and hooked it up to the speedometer and the transmission. I'll put the interior back to together tomorrow evening and then test it.

By the way, did anyone know that when removing the speedometer, you can actually twist it beyond the point where it will pop out? I actually had the speedometer completely upside down before deciding something must wrong and reversing back. It popped out on the way back. That was an hour of my life I will never get back....

And Winston, thanks for your post, it confirmed what I had found. I think I was probably fighting with the speedometer while you were taking pictures.

Thanks to all for your help,

Steve