XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's not gone well...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default That's not gone well...

The term "snowballing" took on a whole new meaning for me today. When I arrived home, I noticed a tiny bit of wetness on the wheel well behind the right rear tire. Thinking that was odd, I got some on my finger and sniffed it... petrol. Crap! What I noticed next was a sizzling sound that seemed to be coming from the exhaust. One look at the valance confirmed my suspicions, this was no average fuel spot.
Things proceeded to go from bad to worse as I removed the filler cap to see if I could get a glimpse of just how much fuel was actually in that tank (this is the one that never gets used). No love, of course due to the baffles.
The leak was a consistent drip at this point.
I decided to re-install the filler cap because my car is parked at the street and I didn't want anyone getting ideas. Bad plan. What was a drip turned into a downpour.
I was now leaking petrol at an alarming rate. I grabbed a catch pan and proceeded to let the cascade drain into that whilst running out to grab a couple of large jerry cans. It was clear I needed to drain the tank.
Make a long story short, I got the tank drained and the contents stored in a can (sediment included) and got the mess cleaned up with some "Oil Dri" (big cat got his kitty litter).

Here's the dig, though. I now obviously need to drop the tank and make repairs. I know how to fix up a tank (and can fill in any blanks from research) but I'm having a hard time finding the gaskets for the filler cap and drain plug. I checked EverydayXJ and found nothing.

Despite what some of my language may indicate, I do live in the States (was born in Ireland) so I'm looking for Stateside vendors. Anyone have tips or preferences?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

So sorry to hear that.....

rest assured that someone more knowledgable than I will be along to help shortly.

Presumably you've tried Jagbits, Britishparts, SNG Barratt, David Manners etc?

The following users liked this post:
millster (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

So sorry to hear that.....

rest assured that someone more knowledgable than I will be along to help shortly.

Presumably you've tried Jagbits, Britishparts, SNG Barratt, David Manners etc?
No sir, I've not but I will be shortly. EverydayXJ was kind of the only one I knew of. Thanks mightily!

A quick edit to say you've given me exactly what I needed, Jim! Jagbits has precisely the parts I seek (and a few extras that I've needed but could find nowhere). All my thanks to you, good sir! You're the saviour of the day so far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by millster; 10-01-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hey there Millster, happy I could help.

Jagbits is a forum sponsor so assuming you mentioned Jaguarforums you wil have got a 5% discount too?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM

Well, it pays to pay attention. Thankfully, I've not placed the order yet as I want to get the tank out and make sure I don't need anything else. I shall make note of this. Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

Please see details as supplied by Gary at Jagbits below......

Thats obviously if you're doing it online, or.....If you call I'd be mentioning I was referred from Jaguarforums.com and need to discuss the discount offered.....

Original Jagbits - Let's start off with a 5% discount. When checking out put FORUMS-5%into the Coupon Code box and you will get 5% off the order. If you have a potential order that is over $250 email me and maybe I can give a better discount. Remember we sell used parts for every Jag!!!!

Good luck