Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi all

I have attached some inside shots.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrisleg:
Doug (07-14-2018), guy (03-26-2020)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Very nice. Looks like you found a real gem !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM

@Doug Many thanks. She is pretty in and out.

My next question i guess would be what to use to look after the wood and seats??? Is there a specific brand / product you would recommend??

Or could you point me to a previous post that can give me that info?

Much appreciated

Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

hi,
to polish and protect the wood, buy a spray can of Pledge Furniture Polish. I use it in my Jags and guitars. Use a soft cloth and impregnate it with Pledge, that's all you need.

for leather and vinyl conditioning, there are many products. Start at Walmart.Also auto parts stores.

Only the top and back surfaces of the seats are leather, the rest is vinyl, called Ambla by Jaguar. The center console lid is leather also.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
hi,
to polish and protect the wood, buy a spray can of Pledge Furniture Polish. I use it in my Jags and guitars. Use a soft cloth and impregnate it with Pledge, that's all you need.

for leather and vinyl conditioning, there are many products. Start at Walmart.Also auto parts stores.

Only the top and back surfaces of the seats are leather, the rest is vinyl, called Ambla by Jaguar. The center console lid is leather also.
The console lid on the xj6 is Ambla, not leather. It is leather (with stitched seams) only on the Vanden Plas models. Regarding leather care...be careful: do NOT use any conditioner that contains silicones, and most "commercial" leather conditioners, even those made by brand name wax/car care companies, contain silicones. And NEVER use any Armorall product, for the same reason. There are excellent non-silicone leather conditioners: Gliptone, AutoGlym, Lexol, Leatherique...and there are others. On the wood:use the same carnauba wax that you would/will use on the paint. You will be amazed, and you will be adding UV protection.
You have a lovely car ...may I make a suggestion? The rub strips on the side are not original factory items and they visually disturb the flow of the car. If the car is still in its original paint, you can improve its appearance tremendously by simply removing these strips. Most are applied with double-sided tape. Heat with a hair drier and gently pull off....the difference is astounding. This was job number one when I was restoring these cars.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Hi All
@sov211

SO the leather looking dashboard is not at all leather? What would be the best way to maintain against the sun?

Rub Strips?? I never realized they were not stock. If i peel them off will there be difference in colour with the rest of the body work?

I am ordering some materials from Chemical Guys. I will include the carnauba wax. I can use this for the body of course

Also would you recommend a detail routine which would include clay bar and then a polish?

Not every time i wash it of course. I have been looking at various detailers and the info they have.

So far my routine would be

Rinse
Wash with soap
rinse
Wax

If i was doing a intense routine , say every tow months it would be

Rinse
Wash
Clay bar with lube
Wash
Polish - DO I NEED TO ALWAYS DO THIS OR CAN I JUST GO TO WAX??
sealer
Wax

Could you recommend the best way to clean the chrome spokes? They look beautiful but may be a headache to clean hahah

Thank you so much for the info!

Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM

@Jose

K & N air filter - are these easy to fit??

I have had little time to play with the her but i am settling down to some reading. I noticed that the radio works but not the FM stations. Now would this be a fuse specifically for that or maybe a dislodged solder joint in the radio itself?

I would also like to change the horn. But can't seem to find any info on the xj6 horn setup specifically when i do a google. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

My wife loves the jag. Have had many complements already by random people in cars or just walking. Its as if i gave brith hahah

Thank you again jose!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 621 Likes on 320 Posts

Be sure to download and read Dr. A's Jag Care book in the sticky links. It has a ton of valuable info on the care of your car. I re-read it annually !

Jeff

Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Those rub strips look like the riveted-on type to me. The pic isn't quite clear. But, if that's the case, removing them means drilling out the rivets, filling the holes, and repainting the doors.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

hi,
Don't put Pledge on your fretboards, use boiled linseed oil. Expect you knew this but knee jerk reaction...

Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 AM

@doug

I don't see any rivets. Should i see some if it were???

@Yellow series3 - I will thank you!

@ Olivermarks - Just as well i don't have any hahaha. Moved to the US from england where back in the day my mother used to pledge the crap out of everything. Even the tv. I wouldn't want pledge around any tv these days ahahah Funny enough, I have some boiled linseed oil from a non car related project. How often would you say i apply it???

Thank you all!

Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Oliver, I never apply anything to the fretboard, only to the clear finishes.

Gregory, the side moldings are not factory original but they are Jaguar North America original to USA cars. All Series 3 USA cars have them. And they are rivetted, not taped. Actually I think the Series 3 looks "dated" without them, sort of like a MK-X. Also I believe the argument about silicone content in polishes is baloney. If silicone was so bad, we would have plenty evidence of damage by now. I prefer Pledge wih Lemon flavor, it even works on chrome.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Gregory, the side moldings are not factory original but they are Jaguar North America original to USA cars. All Series 3 USA cars have them.
It was a popular add-on but certainly not 'all' USA cars. Neither of mine have them....nor any signs of them ever being installed.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

probably Gregory removed them.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chrisleg
@doug

I don't see any rivets. Should i see some if it were???

If those strips are the kind I think they are you'll have vinyl inserts pressed into aluminum extrusions. The rivets would be under the vinyl.

But, glue-in mouldings were popular as well, and Jaguar even offered them via their 'accessory' catalog.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Chris,
I had not seen your reply about the K & N air filter.

Yes, somewhat easy to replace. In the passenger side of the engine, near the front, there is a large round canister with 3 spring-tension catches or whatever you call them attaching the Lid to the canister.

First loosen the clamp that connects the air "trumpet" or "cornet" to the air filter Lid, to remove or move the trumpet away forward from the lid. (best to carefully remove it, you need the space).

then release the nut and plate holding the air filter inside the canister. It has been years since I replaced mine so I can't remember if there is a plate or a bracket.

pull the old filter out and insert the K & N filter.

make sure you apply the Service Warning Sticker to the canister so a mechanic doesn't tell you "you need a new air filter", because you won't need to replace the air filter ever again. Just follow the instructions that come with the K & N filter on initial installation.

As to the radio; Does the cassette work? if yes, then it is not a fuse, it is the radio circuit gone bad, which is kind of rare since these radios seem to last forever. I have a RADIOMOBILE factory radio from 1963 that still works fine. Unfortunately it is AM frequency only.

Post a picture of your radio to identify it, at the end of the Series 3 XJ-6 Jaguar fitted some radios that needed a code to get them to start.

Also, if you need good used parts, contact David at www.everydayxj.com

He dismantles these cars and supplies most of us with parts. I am sure he has radios.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

the horns:
there are two claxon horns at the front center under the front bumper. Check they are connected.

there is a horn Fuse in a separate fuse holder above the battery. Check this fuse.

these horns rarely go bad.

then there is a plastic horn contact which people break when removing and replacing the steering wheel. Since your factory steering wheel was replaced with a Nardi, and the horn contact in the Nardi wheel is different than the factory wheel contact, that would be my third check if the first two checks are ok. There is a second shared fuse in the main fuse box at the driver's side, but if nothing else is not working, then that fuse would be ok.

The horn relay is located under the air filter canister near the radiator. Rarely goes bad.

you can test each horn by connecting each one momentarily and directly to the battery.

if you need new horns, contact David.

By the way, my '84 still has the original parts and they have never failed, so I suspect the Nardi steering wheel installation in your car might be the issue, but otherwise, should be an easy repair.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Easy post:

1. A great car, the last of the series. all the good stuff.
2. I thought it was my idea. but, as it concurs with Dr. Gregory, it is a good one.
The wood in my car is good, but not perfect. Applying a high carnauba content wax, the same one I used on the paint, made it gleam...
3. No rub strips on the flanks of my car and no signs of there ever being there.
3. Armorall is OK in some places, but not on leather or vinyl!!! decades ago, I applied it to the awful "vinyl" on the awful bench seat in my IHC Scout II. Even though belted inm my tail still slid uncomfortably in turns!! A fellow car nut named Coker sold repop tires for old critters for decades, Armorall voided the warranty!!!!

4. By all means, down load Dr. l Gregory's Jagcare document. As I recall doug had something to do with it.

5. Yeah, the horn circuit is finnicky. I messed with mine. No fix, made it worse, I think!!! Oh, well, I miss it not.

Carl .

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
If those strips are the kind I think they are you'll have vinyl inserts pressed into aluminum extrusions. The rivets would be under the vinyl.

But, glue-in mouldings were popular as well, and Jaguar even offered them via their 'accessory' catalog.

Cheers
DD
Mine were the stick-on sort. They came away reasonably easily after heating with a hairdryer to soften the glue, but the paint underneath was a different shade - that was after 10 years so after 30 years it may be even more noticeable, however given the beautiful condition of the interior wood (I'm jealous!) my guess is that this car wasn't sitting outdoors in the sun much so you could be lucky. If you like them - leave them. If not (I personally don't) then you could maybe carefully remove the smaller piece on one side and see how it goes. If there's a big difference in the paint then use a thin adhesive strip (the same thing they use on all modern car emblems) to re-attach it.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleg
@ Olivermarks - Just as well i don't have any hahaha. Moved to the US from england where back in the day my mother used to pledge the crap out of everything. Even the tv. I wouldn't want pledge around any tv these days ahahah Funny enough, I have some boiled linseed oil from a non car related project. How often would you say i apply it???
I too am a transplanted Brit in the US with Jags and guitars, we should start some sort of self help group...
My understanding from guitar forums is that rosewood fretboards and furniture polish are bad news - a rub down with boiled linseed oil cleans and lubricates them and feeds the wood, whereas pledge etc introduces moisture into them which is not a good thing as it then dries out. Endless youtube videos and forum posts online on this by guitar nerds!
You got a good 87 there!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the Jaguar XJ6 1987?