XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing better than a jag on your driveway is a jag on your driveway that runs!
And now it does!
Thanks for your input guys. It helped and I've learned more about her.
It was the wiring.
Replaced everything that had issues and retaped the harness.
Took 4 attempts to jump start but then
​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Brandon,

Pleased to hear you've got the issue resolved with Grant and Doug's help.

SEE MY PM (Private Message) BEFORE YOU POST ON THE FORUM AGAIN.

Graham

Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Wire colors would even more helpful

I agree that weak spark is an issue.

Before we go further.......

What year is this car? Almost all Series III 4.2 cars had Lucas CEI--Constant Energy Ignition. A few early cars, for certain markets, still had the older Lucas Opus ignition. Very different systems. I couldn't tell you a thing about OPUS, but Grant can.

The Lucas CEI is easily recognizable by the having the ignition amplifier mounted to the front of the inlet manifold. The amplifier itself is roughly square, about 4" x 4" (see picture)

*IF* you have Lucas CEI the ballast should be mounted directly to the coil "+" post. (see picture) It'll have two white wires attached. Remove the ballast and attach to two white wires to the coil "+" post. The "-" post will typically have black/white wires and a white/slate (or white/slate/blue) wire....with the tracer stripes being spiral, not straight.

What coil did you use? For the CEI you need a 12v coil with about 1.0 ohm primary resistance.

It's a rare, rare day that I can disagree with Grant but the Lucas CEI on the 4.2s did not use the 'bypass' circuit for the ballast. The ballast, when used, was 'inline' at all times. This is probably the only car you'll ever see with this configuration!

The "2pr Power Resistor" is for the fuel injectors, not the ignition.

How do the distributor cap and rotor look?

Cheers
DD

Hi Doug,
What size is your resistor please and how is it, and the rest of the ignition wires in your vehicle?
Since replacing the wiring, the battery is going down to 11 volts overnight. I'm wondering if I've either done something wrong or what.
I'd like to just replicate what is supposed to be there.
At the same time, my oil pressure gauge has stopped working.
I replaced wire for wire, one by one, so I've definitely, despite not using colored wire, not mis joined anything. But that doesn't mean much.
Also, whilst still on this starting issue, I know the battery I've got isn't the proper one for this vehicle. I'm replacing it asap, but do you happen to know the right one?
Thanks heaps mate.