XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Too hot continued....

Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Too hot continued....

In case anyone is interested, i found new radiator for the jag from an ebay vendor called reliablerad. Not a universal fit that means cutting and bodging, a direct fit replacement. I will keep you posted on quality when it shows up. The kicker is it was only 138 bucks! If nothing else it will keep me on the road while original gets a recore!!

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Tar
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I will be very interested to hear about this. I considered one of these radiators (they're also a brick-and-mortar here in Portland) but being a tiny bit leery of plastic and aluminum (though after all they are in countless other cars!) went with a re-core of the original instead. Still, 138 bucks! Hard to beat!

Andrew.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I would guess that,....when you think about it - it would probably be good practice to replace it every 5 years just as a matter of course. 27 bucks a year for peace of mind from over heating.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,945 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Well, I think the radiator is a plastic and alloy version. Original as far as I know. 22 years and well over 2ooK. No leaks and cools just fine...

The one in my lump is an old tech brass four core. Still fine at about 15 years. Cools very nicely....

Carl

Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't have gone out and just thrown a radiator at it straight away, as mentioned an infrared temp gun can really help diagnose things.

What about a blocked or faulty thermostat, worn water pump fins not pumping the coolant properly, or even just a partially blocked radiator that would have been fine after a simple flush, and as mentioned, a weak viscous fan hub too.

I'd be changing my thermostat at the same time as the radiator at the very least, also source a new water pump and radiator hoses, do the whole system at once, even check the heater hoses and bypass hoses for any signs of aging wear or brittleness.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoney85 View Post
I wouldn't have gone out and just thrown a radiator at it straight away, as mentioned an infrared temp gun can really help diagnose things.

What about a blocked or faulty thermostat, worn water pump fins not pumping the coolant properly, or even just a partially blocked radiator that would have been fine after a simple flush, and as mentioned, a weak viscous fan hub too.

I'd be changing my thermostat at the same time as the radiator at the very least, also source a new water pump and radiator hoses, do the whole system at once, even check the heater hoses and bypass hoses for any signs of aging wear or brittleness.
went through everything you mentioned except fan clutch and rad when i had head off about 18 months ago! so im really not just throwing a fan at it! i have all receipts from previous owners on this car and other than getting rad cleaned in 96 had nothing done to it.
Radiator is prime suspect over clutch as it was running above average temp at 80mph, clutch makes no difference at that speed! Granted, its hotter out right now and things will run a tad warmer anyways, but im not comfortable running at 105.

anyhoo, like i said, having the rad will let me keep car on road while original rad is sent out for a thorough cleaning and recore if needed!