XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is this a good description?
Do I sound frustrated?
0%
Should I proof read it again?
0%
Do I describe the issue adequately?
0%
Should I shut the f%# up?
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission not slipping, it's grinding.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Post Transmission not slipping, it's grinding.

well anyone who remembers me knows that I had to change out my bad transmission about 6 months ago. I didn't know that it was a trans problem at first. I thought it was bad u-joints and just killed the tranny trying to figure it out.
I put about 5500 miles on the new to me used one, that had about 60k on it and it looked great, handled great and had no problems till yesterday.
It did the grind noise and I immediately put in some Lucas stop leak, that didn't make a difference. so I adjusted the band screws that were out about an 1/8 of a turn. Still no difference. If I baby it off the line then its fine. I am the definition of slow off the line, but after I get it into second gear there's no problems so I don't care about the others that I'm pissing off on the road.
So I have a few questions.
Does anyone have rebuild instructions? I found a few places to buy them but I thought I'd ask here first.
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive rebuild kit connection? I found a few but don't know about their quality of parts.
I have rebuilt quite a few tranny's when I owned my hot rod rod shop so I have the ability, but I'd like some opinions first.
The way these have been going out is unlike any tranny that I've fried before. Autos have always slipped on me before. I've had a few that shifted hard and then slipped later. These have went straight to a grind/vibrate with no slipping and this one in particular has new fluid(5.5k) and is not burnt smelling. Maybe someone has a magic fix that I haven't heard of.
I can baby it for a while, while I order parts and get the time(I will make after I get the parts in hand)to rebuild it.
I think this is the strangest tranny issue ever. When I took the old one out and opened it up, there was almost no gunk in the pan and definitely no shavings, and it wasn't burnt smelling in the slightest bit. even though that one was two quarts low on fluid( I didn't check it ). This time I have watched and checked it more than I should have. I have not met anyone (in person or internet) that has had their tranny vibrate like this.
BTW, its first gear only. not low gears! reverse is perfect! once I get it into second there is no problems what-so-ever.
Suggestions??????
I'm sure this is going to be quite a few back and forth post so i want to THANK YOU in advance since I'm sure I will get lots of good advice.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

I found a solution to this and posted it in another thread titled "band adjustment". I hope this can help someone else.
How do I delete this thread?