XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics

Thanks for the warm welcome on the main section. Long time member on many exotic forums and vintage mustang forums (been restoring a 66 for about 3 years). However, the mustang is a shell so not much troubleshooting and this will be the oldest car I've really completed troubleshooting on.
74 XJ6 that was kept up pretty well until 2015 really. Runs and drives but the following issues or symptoms are evident:

Horrible brakes. Have to pretty much put the pedal to the floor to stop the car- assuming master cyl. Should I do booster at the same time or just the master and see if the booster is necessary? Should I do brake lines too? Suggestions on where to get parts? Ballpark costs? Part numbers?

Hose coming out of the firewall into the engine bay (see picture) is cracked and has tape on it but is this a vent tube or what?

Air filter pipe towards the bumper was cracked and had been taped. Anyone know a part number for this? I think I saw flexible hose in some part diagrams but he pictures of the part doesn't really look like the pic here.

Fuel gauge does not read. I think odometer may not either. Unsure about water temp. But tachometer works. Button to switch between tanks is not lit. I'd like to check the fuses but I'm not sure where they are. Worst case, I'm guessing it could be the senders but would seem odd that both are bad.

Side emblems look very hazy and front emblem is broke. I think i found where to get the front but couldn't find the side cats. Any suggestions?

We plan to try and find an indy for an inspection and then dexpending what he finds, I'll do the fixes.

Is there any source for bumpers besides Harrington's?

Suggested costs for a full recarpet, leathers, door panels, headliner?

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics-20170409_165424.jpg   Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics-20170409_170248.jpg   Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics-20170409_165245.jpg   Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics-20170409_165253.jpg  
Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip C
Thanks for the warm welcome on the main section. Long time member on many exotic forums and vintage mustang forums (been restoring a 66 for about 3 years). However, the mustang is a shell so not much troubleshooting and this will be the oldest car I've really completed troubleshooting on.
Hello, Chip,
Welcome to our playpen.

74 XJ6 that was kept up pretty well until 2015 really. Runs and drives but the following issues or symptoms are evident:

Horrible brakes. Have to pretty much put the pedal to the floor to stop the car- assuming master cyl. Should I do booster at the same time or just the master and see if the booster is necessary? Should I do brake lines too? Suggestions on where to get parts? Ballpark costs? Part numbers?
Considering this car is now 43 years old, it would be an Excellent idea to replace master and booster both. Only the flexible lines to the front calipers should need changing.

Part numbers vary with suppliers as do prices. SNG Barret is a sponsor here, but I've found parts on Amazon, eBay, Parts Geek, Rock Auto and Summit Racing to name a few. Basically, Google knows where all the Jaguar parts in the world can be found.

Hose coming out of the firewall into the engine bay (see picture) is cracked and has tape on it but is this a vent tube or what?
That is where rain water drains from the grill under the windshield. I don't know what good the tape would be, one of mine is completely missing. They're very hard and brittle by now, after all these decades baking in the engine bay. If you bump it accidentally it will doubtless shatter anyway.

Fuel gauge does not read. I think odometer may not either. Unsure about water temp. But tachometer works. Button to switch between tanks is not lit. I'd like to check the fuses but I'm not sure where they are. Worst case, I'm guessing it could be the senders but would seem odd that both are bad.
Fuses you're looking for are above the driver's knees on the blower housing. If none of your instruments work you may have a blown fuse; look at #5, 15A, which feeds reverse lights, a few other things, AND, instruments. The tank switch probably needs a new bulb. Another member just changed his, perhaps he'll be along to tell you how he did it.

Side emblems look very hazy and front emblem is broke. I think i found where to get the front but couldn't find the side cats. Any suggestions?
My front emblem is broken, I've not seen one that isn't. But EverydayXJ.com, David Bodger posts in here sometimes, he's a breaker on the East Coast. He has all sorts of Xj6 parts, used of course, but only the good ones get sent out. He'll have what you want and even tell you how to change it.

We plan to try and find an indy for an inspection and then dexpending what he finds, I'll do the fixes.

I can't help with anything else.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-09-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: 1-83
The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
davidboger (04-10-2017), level 1 (04-20-2017), SNG Barratt USA (07-28-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Huge help. Thanks much. I'll need to check more into the fuses and bulbs.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (04-09-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

"Hose coming out of the firewall into the engine bay (see picture) is cracked and has tape on it but is this a vent tube or what?"

that's called the cowl drain. you might get one from a later XJ up to 1992 or just get a radiator hose of the right diameter that fits the drain tube and that has a 90 degree elbow, like an upside down " L ".

the emblems are available, check eBay daily or click on the links below:

grille emblem:

NEW JAGUAR GRILLE BADGE EMBLEM 74-87 XJ6 XJ12 BD42436 | eBay

side / wing emblems:

80-88 Jaguar Leaping Cat set fender side emblem badge logo W/Gasket XJ6 XJ8 OEM | eBay

Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 AM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Air filter pipe on my '74 has rubber as per photo...

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting suggestions (?) for new owner with pics-img_2349.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks Jose and daf11e.

I think the part number is c37549.
Jaguar HOT AIR PICK UP FLEX HOSE TO AIR CLEANE - C37549-OE

Yeah, it looks like I'm missing that accordion style flex tubing.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

lower price here:

https://www.terrysjag.com/product/C37549.html

if not available, the Series 3 XJ-6 (1979-1987) has a similar accordion hose at the intake too.

level 1 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Chip C:

Not much as to the fixing that I can add !!

Elinor and Jose have covered the bases perfectly.

So, my contribution is "Welcome and enjoy". The cats are unique and challenging, yet so pleasing.

Carl

Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanks Carl

Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 AM

Found the hose. Actually was C33448. There is an air hose on the back side of the air filter housing that may need to be replaced. Ordered the little 1449 bulbs for the fuel switch button and all new fuses under the dash. New air filter too. Will do master cyl and booster too.
It is leaking some oil but I haven't gotten under there to see a source.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Found the hose. Actually was C33448. There is an air hose on the back side of the air filter housing that may need to be replaced. Ordered the little 1449 bulbs for the fuel switch button and all new fuses under the dash. New air filter too. Will do master cyl and booster too.
It will all start being fun now that parts are on the way.
It is leaking some oil but I haven't gotten under there to see a source.
ALL Jaguars leak oil, even if they have Chevy engines!
That's how you know it's a Jaguar!
(';')

peter J (04-23-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Also did fuel filter, oil filter, carb rebuild kits, and water temp sensor. Hopefully one of the above parts takes care of the faulty gauge. Otherwise I'll try new fuel senders.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

The fuel guage issue is fairly straight forward.

1. Exercise the tank selection button. Many switches on these critters are "fixed" tht way. Movement cleans the contacts.

2. Remove and replace the connectors at that button. A couple of repititions might restore action. And/or use a contact cleaner.

3. The sensors (senders) in the tanks are rheostats operated by floats on arms. Remove the connector and bridge them. If the guage, selector switch and wires are OK, the guage will respond.

4. Remove the senders. Care here. Spark and gas. Floats no longer float!!!! Worn windings on the rheostat. Fix, mebbe, if not, replace new or good used, via David Boger.

Note, David does have a lot of NOS available.

Off to market as soon as chores done. Grey and cloudy out.

Carl

level 1 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Thank you kind sir. I'll update this thread at some point once I get the parts in and some time to tinker.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Air filter pipe towards the bumper was cracked and had been taped. Anyone know a part number for this? I think I saw flexible hose in some part diagrams but he pictures of the part doesn't really look like the pic here.

I would go and replace the brake assy. whatever it needs.

Rockauto.com or xks.com would be my choice for parts.

Walter

Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanks Walter, I'll keep those in mind. I used Terry's, ebay, and even autozone for this first batch of stuff. Autozone was having a 20% off, so I got the booster w/master for 280 after the core is refunded. Won't be in for a couple weeks but I'll wait on this stuff and see how they fix things.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, Chip, Parts are where you find them. The advantage of local places like Autozone or O'reilly's is you can take them Right back to the store if they're wrong.
Immediate refund!
(';')

Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

LNRB:

Not all SBC's weep oil !!! My garage floor is very experienced. But, no recent petroleum additions. Til, the last few days!!!! Two pancake spots about 24" apart and equidistant from the back wall. Gee, that is just where daughter's Passat's engine was! Critter leaks from both cam covers, not only one, as I thought !!!!

So, as the car was destined to leave, midst fix, I cut the scope. No cam cover gasket swap.

The thing purred, an obvious effort to stay in daughter's care... Bye, bye baby....

Coco and I out early usual. Great, we beat the rain. It is raining out....

No Jeep work, no yard work. Oh, house work beckons.... Ugh.

Carl.

ronbros (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default XJ brakes

Thanks Walter, I'll keep those in mind. I used Terry's, ebay, and even autozone for this first batch of stuff. Autozone was having a 20% off, so I got the booster w/master for 280 after the core is refunded. Won't be in for a couple weeks but I'll wait on this stuff and see how they fix things.
Chip!

I like auto zone, they had the right stuff when I worked on my 78 xj,
new rotors, new calipers, new bearings.

If you need any help, on the bleeding process I filled everything that
was new with new brake fluid after I installed it, that helped me
a lot to get the air out.

Walter

level 1 (07-28-2017)