XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up

Hi everyone. Thank you very much for all the people who help me in the last post. Im almost finished. My last question is this. I already solve the other problem, the car is ok, but, I canīt put idle at 800 rev. Iīve check the vacuum and put it as the manuals say.
how many turns do I have to do or give to the screw that holds the idle air bypass, for it to be like it came originally, and also the other screw in the AFM.
One other thing, the manual says that Timing must be at 17 BTDC it doesnīt matter if it is at 16 or 18, wonīt warm up?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by comarpe2000
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for all the people who help me in the last post. Im almost finished. My last question is this. I already solve the other problem, the car is ok, but, I canīt put idle at 800 rev.

Are you trying to raise the idle to 800rpm or lower the idle to 800rpm?

If the idle won't go down to 800 rpm hen you probably have a vaccum leak. If it won't go up to 800 rpm then the throttle body probably needs to be cleaned.

If the is no response from the idle adjustment screws then A) there's a vacuum leak that is overpowering the range of adjustment provided by the scew or B) the passageway that the screws moves in/out of is probably clogged. You'll have to remove the "air distribution block" to clean it. Easy job, but order a new gasket ahead of time

The throttle body should be cleaned with a rag and solvent and the throttle blade set to .002" clearance.

Iīve check the vacuum and put it as the manuals say.
how many turns do I have to do or give to the screw that holds the idle air bypass, for it to be like it came originally, and also the other screw in the AFM.

There is not specified number of turns on the idle speed or mixture screws. For the idle speed you just adjust the screw until you get the desiredidle speed. On the AFM mixture screw three turns from the bottom is usually about right but you can play with the adjusments. Whenever you adjust the mixture you'll have to wait a few moments to feel a difference....which is usually very slight anyway

One other thing, the manual says that Timing must be at 17 BTDC it doesnīt matter if it is at 16 or 18, wonīt warm up?

The 17š BTDC is correct for the later Ser IIIs but you can experiment if you want....although it probably won't tolerate going any higher.

Not sure what you mean about the warming up. If the engine won't warm up then you probably need a new thermostat. If you replace the thermostat make sure to get the correct Jaguar-specific type.

Post back if you need more help.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Default almost done, vacuum trouble

Once again thank you very much doug.

The throttle body should be cleaned with a rag and solvent and the throttle blade set to .002" clearance.

Iīve clean the throttle body, and the blade is set at .002 clearance. Now, I have a question, I checked all the vacuum terminals, including the ones below battery near the firewall, and the ones under the intake manifold. I only found 2, One hose comes from the distributor, the other one is a little bit down, only has a cover, no hose atached to it.
Here comes my question. The throtte has a vacuum exactly in front of the firewall, almost on its base, then it has 2 hoses in the other side, one that comes from the idle air bypass, the second one comes from the engine block. Right? ok, under those 2 terminals atached to hoses, there are 2 others, and they dont have any hose atached to it? If they are part of the vacuum where they go?
As always doug, thank very much, youīre comments are always my salvation.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

If I'm understanding you correctly those are not vacuum nipples. We're talking about the forward side of the throttle body, right? towards the front of the car?

I think you're missing two small coolant hoses....one coming from the water pump area and the other coming from the water rail almost directly above the throttle body. Coolant runs thru the base of the throttle body to keep it from icing up. I suspect this has been bypassed on your car....which is no big deal, really.

If you look at the underside of the water rail and in the area of the water pump and see two plugged-off nipples you can be assured that the throttle body heating has been bypassed.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Default everything looks ok, almost ready.

Ok ok, yes you catch the whole pic. One other thing to check and almost ready.
I have a vacuum hose that comes from the distributor advance to a delay valve. This valve has two terminals one goes to a T that has one hose atached to the manifold the other one to a one way valve and from this one it goes to another T, one hose comes from the vacuum reservoir and the other to a terminal down the battery (the upper terminal right?). Returning to the delay valve the other terminal (down with the less thicker terminal) goes straight to a T located near the throttle and the other hose goes to the charcoal canister. Any leak on the hose that goes to the charcoal can gave high idle?
Thanks
By the way how do you know so much about this cars? are you a jaguar mechanic? or an enthusiast just like me?