Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal issues 1985 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 343 Posts
Default Turn Signal issues 1985 XJ6

I have an issue with the turn signal on my 85 XJ6.
The driver side (LEFT) side works okay.
When I turn the right side on, the dash indicator flashes once and then go dead but I hear the flasher unit ticking away
On the outside the right rear blinks normally but the right front does not blink.
If I turn on the light switch, the marker lamp and the parking lamps work as they should.
My Hazard lights stopped working also.
I removed the under scuttle on the driver side but I do not know which relay controls the hazard lights.
Can anyone enlighten me on which relay is the one for the hazard lights and why would the right rear signal light work fine but not the front ones. The bulbs are good.
I do not know if the Hazard relay has anything to do with the signal lights so I am open to being educated.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by sanchez
When I turn the right side on, the dash indicator flashes once and then go dead but I hear the flasher unit ticking away
On the outside the right rear blinks normally but the right front does not blink.
If I turn on the light switch, the marker lamp and the parking lamps work as they should.
I removed the under scuttle on the driver side but I do not know which relay controls the hazard lights.
Can anyone enlighten me on which relay is the one for the hazard lights and why would the right rear signal light work fine but not the front ones. The bulbs are good.
I do not know if the Hazard relay has anything to do with the signal lights so I am open to being educated.
I also have a XJ6 1986 where both my blinkers are out. Just ordered a new relay to check that out. Will keep you posted on what I can find out.

celso

Old 04-30-2022, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

The turn signals and the hazard flashers share the same flasher/relay.

I'm nearly positive that a new flasher will solve your problem with the turn signals.

The hazard light being inoperative is likely due to corroded/oxidized contacts inside the hazard switch. Sometimes simply exercise the switch numerous times will bring things back to life. If not, see if you can direct some aerosol contact cleaner into the switch. You'll have to remove the steering column shrouds...or at least the lower one

Cheers
DD

Old 04-30-2022, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

The hazard lights dont have a separate relay , its still the flasher can driving the circuit. The hazard switch just bridges the left and right indicator lights.
With a bit going on I would just focus on the front indicator. Check to see if you have a 12V signal there using a different ground point. Check that the ground at the light is actually grounded.

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
Greg in France (04-30-2022), LT1 jaguar (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 06:06 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

Sanchez, my 85 does the same thing, all flashers work as does the Hazard system, but initially the dash indicators would flash once and then stop flashing. Either side did exactly the same thing. So, I changed the relay and now the dash lights don't flash at all. PITA! But I've just learnt to live with it. I've studied the wiring schematic and for the life of me, I cannot understand it. I give up.
Ian

Old 04-30-2022, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

I exercised the Hazard as recommended by Doug and the Hazard lights started to function again. THANK YOU DOUG.
However, only the left side lights and the right rear light work.
The right front still does not work with the Hazard switch on or the signal switch on.
Since the problem is only with the right front, I will be checking that part of the circuit. The ground seems good because the right side front light up when I select the parking light position on the light switch.
I will continue to investigate.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:50 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

The front bulbs are dual filament and the rears are single. I'd swap left to right and verify the bulbs are good. While you have the bulbs out you can use your test light or multimeter to see if your getting juice to both terminals. Start with the easy things to check things before digging into the harder.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
Doug (05-02-2022), yarpos (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
The front bulbs are dual filament and the rears are single. I'd swap left to right and verify the bulbs are good. While you have the bulbs out you can use your test light or multimeter to see if your getting juice to both terminals. Start with the easy things to check things before digging into the harder.
good advice, I am infamous for looking for the difficult issue rather than checking the simple things. Caught myself doing the other day and had to give myself a stern talking to.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

The ground seems good because the right side front light up when I select the parking light position on the light switch.
I will continue to investigate.
Be careful with that assumption. Looking at the S57 diagrams the parkers do not use the same earth as the indicators

Old 05-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Swap in new bulbs at the dark corners. good, but not absolute chance, that will fix the issue.

or, clean the sckets.

At ties, i have found the lead contacts on the bulbs are worna nd contact lost. A bit of a bodge, but, I have added solder and got them to light upo again.

Others have posted relevant studd as well.

Carlr

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-03-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

No work on this item because I lost the the keys for my car. See post "LOST KEYS"