XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windscreen washer

As I press the button to squirt cleaner on the glass, nothing happens. Where is the motor, and any easy first checks to perform?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter1982
As I press the button to squirt cleaner on the glass, nothing happens. Where is the motor, and any easy first checks to perform?

Hmmm. On my '87 the motor was right at the bottom of th tank...which was well forward on the left fenderwell

If your isn't there....can't remember when they changed it.....it'll be next to the radiator, left side, by the left hood hinge.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

do this test:

turn ignition switch to ON, (engine OFF),

press the button and listen for a buzzing sound in the engine compartment. If it sounds, motor is good and you can locate it by sound. something else is the problem, like clogged or disconnected hoses.

If no sound, check the fuses next.

if fuses are fine, check that the wires are connected at the washer motor.

if wires are fine, motor is burnt.

Go to any Auto Parts and buy a generic windshield washer motor kit. If old motor is mounted in the water container, leave it there, and mount the new motor near the container per the instructions, you can tap the old wires for the new motor with the included taps, and tap the hoses with the included hose taps.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Jose, I replaced the fuse, and now the motor makes noise! I followed th hose back from the motor and part of the way back it goes into the fender. I dont get any juice at the sprayer. I pulled the sprayer, cleaned it out, and there was a filter of some sort that I cleaned. If the motor makes noise it works, right? The hose looks to be connected but I cant see it when it is in the fender. Also, by replacing the fuse, I now have an annoying buzz when the door is open.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

The washer pump is an electric motor which can work just fine without moving any fluid. Most likely your fault is the check valve just below the screen washer nozzle, they plug up all the time. Pull the check valve off and test the motor again without it. If you have good flow, plug the hose on the washer jet and forget about it.

If you still don't have any juice, pull the outlet hose off at the pump and see if it's squirting. If it's not, replace the pump. This stuff takes less time to figure out than it does to explain.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

yes, I would disconnect the line that disappears under the fender, but at the motor outlet first.

have someone press the button as you look at the outlet to see if a jet of water comes out.

If no water, go to auto zone and buy a generic pump.

If you have good water pressure, then JTO is correct, it is the little filter check valve located under the washer jets mounted on top of the grille under the wipers.

you must remove the grille under the wipers to get to the clogged check valve.

do you remember how to pull it?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

He should, he's been pulling it for three months now.

The following users liked this post:
redtriangle (01-29-2022)
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Yes I can pull it, but it dosent quite sit flush now, I will have to fiddle with it a little. the screen under the plastic grille is attached to the car, pulled it up on the driver side inorder to get at the hose. The filter check valve was clogged, but after removing it still no juice. Ill check the flow at the pump and replace it with a generic one if I need to. Thanks fellas!