Sponsored by:

Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Wipers

Hello all,
I have been off this site for a while because I was focused on restoring a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo(blasphemy????) as a project with my son.
Now that that is completed mechanically, I can resume my focus on Jaguars.
Perusing the forum this morning, I noticed that LnR's jaguar has the wipers parking on the driver side.
@LnR: Did your car come like that or did you do something to get it to park on the driver(left) side.
I also have a couple of questions for members regarding my drivetrain on the lump and front suspension which I will do in a separate post.
BTW, even though I was not posting, I was still reading the posts whenever I had time.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

doing a project with your son? great stuff ! who cares what it is :-)

Last edited by yarpos; 03-25-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez
Hello all, Perusing the forum this morning, I noticed that LnR's jaguar has the wipers parking on the driver side.
@LnR: Did your car come like that or did you do something to get it to park on the driver(left) side.
maybe she got the wires crossed?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know. I also saw the wipers parked on the driver side on Roger Mabry's old Series 2 XJ. The one with the red bonnet.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Both of my S1 one LHD cars park on the drivers side...that is the normal position..
my S2 car also parked on that side.??? Why would you question that side.?

Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
Why would you question that side.?

Because he has a Series III

On Series III cars the wipers park on the side opposite the driver. If you have a LHD Series III the wipers park on the right, in front of the passenger. If you have a RHD Series III the wipers park on the left, in front of the passenger

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Trivia ????

If they wipe, who cares where they park???

If only my Jeep would stop having a hissy and run, oh woe is me!!!

Carl

Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Carl, since the wipers don't drop all the way down I suspect the reason for the change was to simply keep them out of the driver's primary line-of-sight.

A minor thing, I reckon, because most any driver would simply become accustomed to them and therefore not bothered in the least. Just an enhancement that occurred in the evolution of the line. Personally I would've preferred the effort and money being spent to improve other things but Jaguar never contacted me for advice

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Now, I'll have to look. If mine were parked on the driver side, would they be in my line of sight? Intuition says, not much if any, well below ??

But, then I recall top hung wipers. First only one, then in Deluxe cars, two. Oh, vacuum operated !!! Unintentional ntermitant feature!!

Carl
were on

Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Now, I'll have to look. If mine were parked on the driver side, would they be in my line of sight? Intuition says, not much if any, well below ??
Hmmm, maybe not. Probably depends on how tall you are! But here's a random pic of a typical Series III showing what I mean about not dropping all the way down

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/image...13_r226_01.jpg

Cheers
DD

Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Was just curious about my observation, that's all.
My Series 3s park fine (all the way down to the right) after lubricating and exercising the wiper switch stalk back and forth a few times. Now, I don't have to worry about whether it will park properly or not, as it did before the lube and exercise.
But, as Doug stated; RHD Series 3s park on the passenger(left) side, and LHD Series 3s park on the passenger(right)side, it stands to reason that it can be done.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:18 AM
Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Series 3

Old 03-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a pic of where mine park. I have also noticed in Doug's post attachment, Rostman's picture and mine, using the correct size wiper blade, if they park all the way down like mine, the right side wiper extends past the windshield. I am using a 16" blade. If you use a shorter blade(15"), then it will not wipe high enough on the passenger side.
Question: What are the correct measurements for the wiper blades on a Series 3 Jag?
Parts manual states Part # 39-150 for each side = 15 inch blade.

Attached Thumbnails Wipers-jag-wipers-001.jpg  

Last edited by sanchez; 03-30-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

I've always chalked this up to Jaguar weirdness and use one 15" blade and one 16" blade. Having one blade crash into the windshield trim just bothers me !

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

Hello all,
I have been off this site for a while because I was focused on restoring a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo(blasphemy????) as a project with my son.
Working with your son is Never blasphemy.
How many of us got started working on cars (and thus kept too busy to get into trouble) because some caring adult took the time to show is how.

It's something he'll carry with him forever.
You can ask me how I know.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Doug (03-30-2017), Roger Mabry (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

@LnrB: Thank you for those kind words of support.
I am also starting with my 12 yr old grandson who was diagnosed with ADHD.
He is 'game', and my thoughts are to have him do simple mechanical tasks that will require him to focus.
So far, 6 weekends in, he can identify tools. I give him a list of tools and he goes into my tool box and bring them all out to me. Disorganized, but they are all there.
When putting them back in the tool box, he can now place them in the correct order.
The little steps make me smile.
My goal is to get him off that damn medication, and the doctor agrees with me.

The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
Doug (03-30-2017), LnrB (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Sanchez:

Definitely a go for it objective. Kudos +++++

Carl

Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Here is a pic of where mine park. I have also noticed in Doug's post attachment, Rostman's picture and mine, using the correct size wiper blade, if they park all the way down like mine, the right side wiper extends past the windshield. I am using a 16" blade. If you use a shorter blade(15"), then it will not wipe high enough on the passenger side.
Question: What are the correct measurements for the wiper blades on a Series 3 Jag?
Parts manual states Part # 39-150 for each side = 15 inch blade.
Pilkington Automotive states 350mm for both wiper blades. They even sell flatblade wipers for the series III.
350mm equals 13.78 inches, so I'd go for 14.....

Last edited by Dutch-Cat; 03-30-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts

Perusing the forum this morning, I noticed that LnR's jaguar has the wipers parking on the driver side.
Actually, it took Years for Jaguar to figure out that Mercans drive on the OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR and mount wipers correctly for the US market, Their Largest!! They actually rest in the Park position Right in front of me!

That means they're quite useless (the left wiper is warped around the windshield curve so doesn't touch in the center of the blade). It's a good thing I don't drive her in the rain (not on purpose anyway) because the couple times I've got caught in a surprise shower I was nearly blind!

Originally Posted by Jose
maybe she got the wires crossed?
Very funny, Jose!

(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 03-30-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Working with your son is Never blasphemy.
How many of us got started working on cars (and thus kept too busy to get into trouble) because some caring adult took the time to show is how.

It's something he'll carry with him forever.
You can ask me how I know.
(';')

I'll try to make this a short story.

My Dad was wonderful in so many respects but mechanical tinkering wasn't his cup of tea.

When I was 13 we moved to a new neighborhood. Across the street was a family with three teenage sons, all a bit older than me so we didn't immediately become friends. They were all driving age with...wow... their own cars ! That's a big deal when you're thirteen ! Anyhow, they were constantly out in the garage working on cars with their dad and uncle. I would watch intently from across the street. I loved cars already but never touched anything mechanical.

After a couple days the father, once again seeing me watching from afar, so to speak, waved me over. He introduced me to everyone and asked "Do you wanna help?". He didn't actually wait for an answer but simply some spark plugs in my hand and said "We'll show you how to install them". Sure enough, a couple hours later, all 8 plugs of a '66 Mustang were changed. I got 'em all, by golly....although it took quite a bit of help from his sons who never once lost their patience.

They were a very nice family; the absolute epitome 'decent' people. The entire family just seemed to be intrinsically happy and good natured. I was friends with the boys for many years, even after eventually moving away.

Excuse me being maudlin but sometimes a simple thing can profoundly influence our lives. As though it was just yesterday I can STILL see the father, Harry, waving me to come across the street that afternoon. It made such an impression on me... a friendly gesture that I will never forget. And that day was, in all reality, the very first day of the rest of my life tinkering with cars, something that has entertained me all my life. All because Harry waved me over from across the street.

Thanks for letting me stroll down memory lane.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Daf11e (03-31-2017), Dutch-Cat (03-31-2017), LnrB (03-31-2017)