Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ 6 4.2 Series 1 automatic Transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question XJ 6 4.2 Series 1 automatic Transmission mount

Hello ,

I have to change the automatic gearbox mounting spring and bushes ( engine rear mounting ) . I know that I have to support the mounting because of the spring tension. The question is : Do I remove the 4 perimetral setscrews first and then the central one that holds the spring or the opposite?

best regards,

Old 09-26-2023, 07:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

how did you make out with this ?

Old 10-13-2023, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello DBaer,

Sorry for not answering before, I,hadn´t seen the message.

I´m triying to remember How I made it. … it was some years ago. …. I remember that was not easy.

I have to say that I had the help of a friend, wich makes everything much easier and safer. And also you have to have space under the car, in my case we had a car pit.

First, removing the big locking nut in the middle of the supportig plate. Then , with a hidraulic jack placed on a piece of Wood that crossed the pit, we raised the gearbox a few inches ( till ressistance is found ). We placed the jack between the supporting plate and the engine .

Now comes the tricky point, wich is removing the old spring and putting the new one.

We removed 3 of the 4 nuts ( or screws) that join the plate to the floor, leaving one of them half loose in place so we could move the plate without removing it completely.. The old spring was not difficult to remove as it was half gone. .

IMPORTANT: Be careful with the springs, they can hurt.

Putting the new one was much more difficult, as is longer and stronger. We compressed it in a vice and put a wire in it to keep it compressed ( and shorter). Then , I think that one of us inserted it into place( a nihgtmare ), removed the wire , and the other one pressed the supporting plate till placing it into position so we could insert another nut/screw , all at the same time. Then we put he other two, and tighten all of them . Then , the reverse. Lowering the gearbox , removig the Jack, and putting the central locking nut again.

I hope that this may help you. Have in mind that It was long ago

Best regards,

Javier