XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Paul. So happy you finally got your car. I had to wait for mine for two weeks and I know how hard it is. I hope its more than you expected. Have fun and drive safe. But not to safely, I did say have fun. Lol

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Thanks guys. Had a full day today cruising around. It was awesome. Had my youngest son with me cruising and everytime we got out for coffee or walk around he's like : "can we go back in the Blue Goose now?" , he loved it.

Mainly did cruising around the beach area today but got one chance to get her up to 100km hour. Man it feels like nothing. So quiet yet so much power.

Gave the air con a work out today and was found she works really good. So very happy with the handling and her performance overall. For such an old car she is in great shape mechanically. Been looked after by a master!

Also had my first experience with Lucas electrics, and all I can say is, " I see what ya mean". Basically I have my low coolant light come on intermittantly but the coolant levels are fine and the engine temp is just below N. Its alright though. I got some great advice and was gonna check it out in the next few days. No biggie really. Will be a good beginner thing for my to try my hand at.

Also I notice the oil pressure gauge reads about 4 KPa when driving. Is that about where she supposed to sit? I am assuming so as she runs like a pearl lol!

Now to the pics:

I took the first pic today walking back to my car and had a grin from ear to ear realising that's my car in the parking lot lol! It feels so good

Also picked up a Jaguar keyring for my set of keys today in my travels. Its a cheap rip off but looks swell.

Only one thing today I wasnt too sure about. I was in the garage cleaning the dust off the Goose's tail feathers when I noticed underneath the car, beneath the rear axel, there is a little rubber tube/hose hanging out touching the ground? What the hell is this and should it be there???!!

Any thoughts? Its the first time I really checked under the car since getting her yesterday. Hopefully its nothing

Anyway, I am real pleased with my purchase. I cant stop grinning!

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-beach.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-keyring.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140818_163743.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140818_163809.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 378 Posts

I,ve had my '92 for 21 years now and l still get a kick out of driving it. And a big grin when l looked at it parked up.....Enjoy.

Has the battery got a breather tube connected to the right top side ? This tube should go out oft the floor around where your pipe seems to come out. As it touches the floor, i'm thinking its come loose or was never connected.

paulyling (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:09 AM

You might be on to something there bud. there was a pipe to the right of the tube (see picture) that i thought it may of come off, but not sure. The pipe actually lines up with approximately where the battery sits in the boot. The tube seems to go back up into the car though.

So the idea of the breather tube, it allows any fumes from the battery to vent out into the atmosphere directly below the car, or does it get routed else where and then out?

thanks again

Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

The correct battery will have a small breather pipe sticking out of the right top side of it. A rubber tube will fit onto it and just go down and out of the floor through a rubber grommet (if still there). Not sure what your pipe is if it goes up into the body though......But sure someone will.

Part 2 and 3
http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...tery-and-cable

Last edited by malc4d; 08-18-2014 at 05:23 AM.
paulyling (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 2,605 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Thanks guys. Had a full day today cruising around. It was awesome. Had my youngest son with me cruising and everytime we got out for coffee or walk around he's like : "can we go back in the Blue Goose now?" , he loved it.

Mainly did cruising around the beach area today but got one chance to get her up to 100km hour. Man it feels like nothing. So quiet yet so much power.

Gave the air con a work out today and was found she works really good. So very happy with the handling and her performance overall. For such an old car she is in great shape mechanically. Been looked after by a master!

Also had my first experience with Lucas electrics, and all I can say is, " I see what ya mean". Basically I have my low coolant light come on intermittantly but the coolant levels are fine and the engine temp is just below N. Its alright though. I got some great advice and was gonna check it out in the next few days. No biggie really. Will be a good beginner thing for my to try my hand at.

Also I notice the oil pressure gauge reads about 4 KPa when driving. Is that about where she supposed to sit? I am assuming so as she runs like a pearl lol!

Now to the pics:

I took the first pic today walking back to my car and had a grin from ear to ear realising that's my car in the parking lot lol! It feels so good

Also picked up a Jaguar keyring for my set of keys today in my travels. Its a cheap rip off but looks swell.

Only one thing today I wasnt too sure about. I was in the garage cleaning the dust off the Goose's tail feathers when I noticed underneath the car, beneath the rear axel, there is a little rubber tube/hose hanging out touching the ground? What the hell is this and should it be there???!!

Any thoughts? Its the first time I really checked under the car since getting her yesterday. Hopefully its nothing

Anyway, I am real pleased with my purchase. I cant stop grinning!
Hi Paul

Great Car!

This might help to explain the Tube thingy, looks like the grommet may have dropped out when loading on the trailer.

Battery Fixings - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

paulyling (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

oooooops my bad. Wrong year.

paulyling (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM

heh guys

thanks for the advice

had a look this morning in better light. The tube in question is flexible yet the one just to the right of it is rigid and sticks out about 1 " from underneath the car. Difficult to determine which is the drain tube as they are both appear to be underneath the battery. (Gonna go buy a decent LED flashing light today like I have on the rig).

I just kinda pushed the tube back up into where its housed so its sitting out about 2" as opposed to hanging on the ground.

Hope she'll be right. So much to learn lol!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

The aerial/antenna has a tube like that for drainage.

paulyling (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 AM

really? geez they thought of everything Greg lol!

Well, today had an awesome day, practically cruised around all day in the Goose (benefits of fly in fly out work)

Shopped around for tyres today. Decided on two new Pirelli P600's. Getting them fitted on Friday at Bob Jane. They seemed to be the most professional Tyre Store today after visiting 3 different stores. But the general experience was that the 235/60 15 is not an easy find, especially in brand names. Much like you guys already mentioned.

Also took a stroll to Auto barn to buy some Cleaning products for the exterior, chrome and windows. It was pretty expensive so I was gonna get some interior stuff in a few weeks me thinks. Now that I got the goods im gonna clean the paint work and chrome this weekend. Lookin forward to it

Also took her for her first ride at night this evening. She delivered. Kinda strange using the turning knob on the dash to turn on the lights, and having those funky retro 80's dash symbols for lights on/off.

Still not sure about that bloody little tube out the bottom but Im sure its minor.

Also bought a decent LED flashlight/torch today to check out the engine and little dark crevices. Works a treat. My garage has **** house lighting.

Tomorrow Im driving her on her longest trek away from the Coast and into the Hinterland (country) up in Maleny, Montville area for those in the know. Will be going up one steep mother of a hill and doing alot of hilly driving. I trust she'll deliver.

Tomorrow the Mrs is gonna have her first ride in it so I bought an air freshner and cleaned all the windows so the Goose smells nice inside. The wife was already mad the other day as I mistakenly idled it in the garage with the door opened for a while, and as the garage connects to the house, the whole house stunk! Whoops!

My only drama is the tunes now. I cant get the tape deck to work as I bought a cassette adaptor for MP3 but the deck keeps trying to flip the tape back and forth, and plays for like a few seconds and cuts in and out. I even had on old cassette I tried from the mother in law, and had the same problem so its not the adaptor. The radio works fine however.

I think I might bite the bullet a little later on and just install a new Mp3 player.

The adventure continues...

Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Received 10,358 Likes on 6,852 Posts

That tube MAY be the drain tube from the tray that the battery actually sits in. It is there just in case a battery develops a leak in the casing.

Nothing else in that area that I can envisage.

paulyling (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:51 AM

Thanks Grant

Yeah wasnt thinking it was anything too important. Im just paranoid at the moment as it is all so new and i havent really laid eyes on every nook and cranny yet.

I noticed there is one solid tube coming down from the right (as in the pic), about 1" out, and the one in question is more flexible and dangles somewhat, which is a little more over to the left, almost in around the middle of the axel. I just tucked her up a bit more so as it won't wear on the road surface.

BTW. She drives like a pearl. Cant stop grinning every day. I have already got a few comments of how good nick she is in

I feel like a playboy driving around in it ha ha ha ha

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

While driving around don't make eye contact with other drivers, remember you are in a JAGUAR...you are successful, confident, aloof, and they are just envious...But it is fun...

paulyling (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Paul, I'm living the feeling with you....nothing like your first cruises in your new Jag..and it's winter for you isn't it?? It's great to hear of your enthusiasm and enjoyment.

Here's a bit more about the drain pipes on the right side of my '92 in case they're any help at all.

1. Aerial Drain, which runs forward through the car to join at a T-junction with Drain pipe #2.
2. Drain pipe #2, which exits the vehicle behind the rear wheel,
3. The drain exit.

Trusting it's the same on your car...

The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-dsc00001.jpg

The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-dsc00002.jpg

The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-dsc00003.jpg

Last edited by Mkii250; 08-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.
paulyling (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 PM

Thanks again guys. I always value all your advice

I had a quick look at the drain tube before and she is where I last left her. Cant really confirm if its for the battery but both little tubes are about inline with where the battery would be, approximately spaced apart about the length of the battery holder. To look further ill have to remove the plate that houses the battery disconnect switch and start poking around. After talkin with you guys though my mind is at ease so ill leave her for now.

Well, gave the Goose her first clean today. Really love that Purple Brand metal polish. That chrome comes up real nice. I think i need some practice in washing her though as im starting to get real OCD about little marks i left behind lol

Well, packing her up tonight and driving down to Brisbane. Will be her first proper highway drive. Staying overnight at the parents house, then will continue the journey tomorrow and will be meeting up with our very own Clarke from the Jag forum to talk Jags!

the adventure continues...

Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 414 Likes on 312 Posts

Is it just me or is Paul hiding interior pics of The Goose??

Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 AM

Ha ha ha. I was gonna post em today actually but the thread wont let me upload pics today for some reason. Ill promise ill post em soon lol!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 AM

said interior...

Shes in good shape really. Obviously the drivers seat is a little worn but generally real nice. I wanna learn about cleaning and protecting the interior as Im pretty clueless at the moment.

I also bought a steering wheel cover yesterday. Had to buy the lace up version as all the rest where to big to fit the Goose. Rather use just bare steering wheel but I really want to protect it at the same time.

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140818_113823.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140818_113859.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140818_113847.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 720 Likes on 553 Posts

Find the factory XJS sport wheel and be done with that big, skinny one. I've bought 4 on e-bay over the years

paulyling (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 AM

Sweet. Sounds real cool JT. How involved is it to upgrade the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner