XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1989 Rouge Edition information...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 information...

Hello all,

New to the forum/group and had a question.

I've been in love with XJ-S's since I was in 7th grade and a local well to do gentleman owned 2 (1 modified, 1 stock). I'll never forget watching what I not realize was just a mid 80's HE XJ-S with exhaust and rims driving down the road. I just remember staring in awe at how amazing it sounded and looked. I've always been a car nut, having owned several different models and makes over the years, but have always wanted an XJS at some point when I "grew up" and wanted a nice tourer. Entering my more middle life, married and working on a family I've sold my previous sporty cars and my wife has agreed to let me get something as long as she could drive it occasionally. So, having always wanted one and knowing she can't drive a standard, my mind has instantly went to an older early Marelli XJ-S.

Recently my search has uncovered a "possible candidate" a 1989 XJ-S with 65,000 miles, but unfortunately no service history and asking $3000 USD. I've been reading long enough, that I know to look for rust issues and overheated V12's. My goal is to replace bushes, V12 components (water pump, AC, distributor, plugs, etc.), add Addco sway bars and eventually (after restoring more reliability) a T5 or T56. Only going to be a weekend or part-part time driver.

All that said, I had a few questions I was hoping somebody could fill me in on....

- Researching I can't find alot of information on the "Rouge Edition". I realize it's just a trim package, but what trim other than interior and upgraded wheels? Anything else?

- Since it's 1989 is there any quick way to know if it's Lucas or Marelli ignition? I know Marelli switched over 1989.5 and I need to modify the rotor and shaft with some silocone to make it a reasonably reliable ignition system again (or replace if it's a Bosch or other cap). Anyways, are all Rouge Marelli or are some Lucas?

- Is there any easy way to tell if the front plug behind the AC have ever been changed?

- Is there any easy way to check if it's been overheated in it's life?

- Any other quick notes on what I should be looking for?

- Is $3000 USD reasonable for a no service history XJ-S with a few minor hood dents that I can see in pics so far and faded red paint?

Thank you fall for any and all comments and advice!

Last edited by MugenReplica; 12-12-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,807 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by MugenReplica
-- Since it's 1989 and a Rouge edition, is there any quick way to know if it's Lucas or Marelli ignition? I know Marelli switched over 1989.5 and I need to modify the rotor and shaft with some silocone to make it a reasonably reliable ignition system again (or replace if it's a Bosch or other cap). Anyways, are all Rouge Marelli or are some Lucas?

The VIN breakpoint is [something like] 156116 or 156xxx.....the exact number escapes my brain at the moment. If the VIN of your candidate car is below "156" you can pretty well be assured it's a Lucas car. If above 156, Marelli

Visually there are several cues. One of the easiest is that Lucas cars have an ignition amplifier on top of the left intake manifold. Black box, about the size of a pack of cigarettes

- Is there any easy way to tell if the front plug behind the AC have ever been changed?

Nope. It can't be seen. But you'll be changing all the plugs anyway, so.....?

- Is there any easy way to check if it's been overheated in it's life?

Nope. But, if the engine does not have a clattering sound ....sorta like a sewing machine sound but more metallic....the valves seats are probably still firmly seated

- Any other quick notes on what I should be looking for?

- Is $3000 USD reasonable for a no service history XJ-S with a few minor hood dents that I can see in pics so far and faded red paint?

Thank you fall for any and all comments and advice!

There's a buyers guide in one of the sticky threads at the top of this section that might be helpful

Off the cuff, $3000 doesn't sound *UN*reasonable

Bear in mind, though, that body repairs and a high quality repaint will be many thousands of dollars. If cosmetics are important to you then buying a car that already looks great may well save you a ton of money over the long haul.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Thank you for the response, Doug! I'll be checking it out tomorrow monrning with my wife and report back here. Hopefully with some pictures of it and looking for impressions. I don't want to jump onto one.

Reading over the Jag-Lovers site and the .pdf book they have, I had another question....

- The NON-Marelli Cap, there's not really any easy indication which one or how to tell if the replacement NON-Marelli cap brands are best and not prone to melting or are actually flammable themselves.

I obviously don't want to experience a melted cap and I plan on stretching the spring (if this car is Marelli), as well as doing the silicone fix for the rotor and distributor shaft.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Opinions ...er, levels of worry....vary on the aftermarket caps. The ones I've seen have and heard about have all been the same actual cap (regardless of brand name on the box) and gave no problems even though they are not have heavily built as the originals.

Anyhow, 'tis the rotor that burns thru, not the cap. AFAIK genuine Marelli rotors are still obtainable.....tho it has been a few years since I last had to buy one. Keeping the ignition system in good condition is the most important part. The rotor mods are insurance.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 12-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 824 Likes on 519 Posts

Having recently researched this, your best bet on the Marelli Distributor Cap is from SNG Barratt. They have them made in the UK, and are the right combination of quality and value.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Checked it out today. Seems solid and needs restoration, but would be a perfect rolling restoration. I like the price and my wife is in agreement. A couple of things though....

Couldn't drive it as it was off the road. But all fuel lines were replaced and still has a Marelli distributor. No rust and 65,000 miles. Faded paint and needs a headliner.

Other than those....

-passenger side window has an up/down issue. Possibly electrical contacts?

-it stared up without a hitch, but idle was stuck at 1000 rpms

-after we turned it off, about 20 mins later I turned it in and it had a stumble or miss to the idle? Any ideas on that?

Thanks for opinions, guys!

Old 12-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MugenReplica
-passenger side window has an up/down issue. Possibly electrical contacts?

Can you describe the 'issue'?

-it stared up without a hitch, but idle was stuck at 1000 rpms

-after we turned it off, about 20 mins later I turned it in and it had a stumble or miss to the idle? Any ideas on that?

Thanks for opinions, guys!

The 'could be' list for both problems is long. Probably nothing serious. Idle speed problems are usually air leaks and/or a stuck open Aux Air Valve.

It's a very, very rare used XJS that doesn't need a whole shopping list of items tended to. Very few have gotten the care they deserve. Most problem areas, quirks, and fixes are well documented.
There's a strong sentiment, which I agree with, towards 'do it now, do it once, do it right, then forget about for years'. That is, just tackle all the known problem areas which virtually every used XJS has and be done with it....and then enjoy the car. The ala carte treatment just adds more effort to the project.

Fixing some problems is done by eliminating a 'stack up' of faults that contribute to a condition. The miss-at-idle you mentioned will probably be like that.

XJSs are fabulous cars when sorted out but you gotta go in with a smile. You gotta savor every turn of the wrench and take amusement and pleasure out of the weird XJS quirks and problems. For most of us that's all part of the fun and it's very rewarding in the end.

If lots tinkering around makes you frown then an old XJS is not the car for you

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2015, 03:08 PM

The switch causes the window to go down, and then it stops. Waited 10-12 mins and I pushed it again and it went down.

I love working on cars in general and I love the documentation that's available with this community and the support that each enthusiast gives to another.

After I posted here, I read over on "Jag Lovers" that the HE after warming up seem to have a normal odd stumble, so perhaps it was that. It didn't seem bad or to cause any issues when I hit the throttle. The high idle I'm sure is the AAV from sitting in storage for the last year.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So, did you buy it? If not, why not? I have been watching this car for over a year, when the asking price was $8000, firm...

Old 12-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Ok, I gotta ask, why would you limit yourself to an "early Merelli" car??? Finding a "good" V-12 coupe needing little and well cared for is hard enough.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Ok, I gotta ask, why would you limit yourself to an "early Merelli" car??? Finding a "good" V-12 coupe needing little and well cared for is hard enough.
Probably because 89.5 had the beautifully sculpted seats and best (non-airbag) steering wheel. Not to mention they still retain the unique barrel gauges.

At least that's why I love them. The automatic seat belts I don't care about. Is that also when they went from leather / vinyl ski slope to wood?