XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS brake rotors and Ceramic Front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face 1990 XJS brake rotors and Ceramic Front brakes

Any suggestions on where to buy all 4 rotors and front brake pads? I have the rear ceramic brake pads but found that the rotor on all sides are really grooved.

Bill

Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

The main benefit of ceramic brake pads is to keep your wheels clear of dust and looking nice. Other properties are inferior to ordinary brake pads. This does make them a rather strange choice for an inboard brake application, where the dust won't get on the wheels anyway.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Default 1990 XJS brake rotors and Ceramic Front brakes

Thanks for the comment and I will go with standard brakes. Any idea where to buy the brakes and rotors?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Check put the advertisers here and Rockauto. I got a great deal on calipers and pads there. In my case, no cores wanted. helped a lot

Check out your local parts houses, Aujtozone, Carquest, NAPA and similar.

Carl

Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by MIFoodie
Thanks for the comment and I will go with standard brakes. Any idea where to buy the brakes and rotors?
Unless you have specific needs or wants your local NAPA auto parts store or other franchise-type parts store can fix you up.

RockAuto, as mentioned, is popular. I use them often. Lots of choices, good service and pricing. Watch out for shipping charges that gobble up otherwise inexpensive pricing, though!

Welsh Jaguar, Coventry West, SNG Barrat, Paul's Jaguar, Motorcars Ltd, XKs Unlimited, FCP Euro, Autohaus.....lots of good vendors out there.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I like EBC rotors. I have a complete set for my 95. My rear brakes are out board "Vented" which was a surprise to most suppliers. I was told by a number of people that I had non vented rear brakes.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

They were recently for sale on britishpartsnorthwest. Regularly $58 on sale for $15!

I like semi-metallics for how I drive the XJS. In a longer city commute or more stop and go highway traffic, ceramics do well. You need to get some heat into them so they are kinda crappy if you aren't using the brakes much.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Unhappy 1990 XJS brake rotors and Ceramic Front brakes

Thanks. I am recently new to the brake types so this helps. I think that I will go with the semi metallic.

Now, I have read a lot about changing the rear brakes (inboard) and while I have had enough experience to feel comfortable with changing the front brakes and rotors I am not sure about whether I should tackle the read brakes. Recently a shop near me said that they would not tackle the job because of lack of experience (Thanks to them for honesty) and that it would take them 10 hours. I figure that if I tackle them it should take me mo0st of the winter (HA HA).

How difficult is the rear brake job for a DYI?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Just the pads? 30 minutes. Hand brake pads too? Those can be fiddly.

Rotors? Now you are really getting into it. Could be done on a weekend if you have done it before, so probably 2-3 weekends.

The following users liked this post:
MIFoodie (10-28-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks. I looked an cannot find the torque specifications except for the Wheel Nuts. I looked in several downloads of manuals but I can't find it. Any help with both the front and rear torque specifications for all the various nuts?

I got an estimate for the rear brakes and it is about $ 2,000 total so I will do this myself.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by MIFoodie
Thanks. I looked an cannot find the torque specifications except for the Wheel Nuts. I looked in several downloads of manuals but I can't find it. Any help with both the front and rear torque specifications for all the various nuts?

I got an estimate for the rear brakes and it is about $ 2,000 total so I will do this myself.
Wheel nut torque: 75 to 80 ft Llbs. No tighter
Rear brake rotor change: 2000 USD is ridiculous, unless you are renewing the calipers too. It is quite doable DIY as long as you have a covered space and decent tools and axle stands.
The basic procedure is:
  • Undo the driveshaft from the outboard side of the disc. Support the axle under the diff so the rubber body mountings are not under tension from the weight of the axle. This can be hard work if the threads are rusty, so penetrating oil etc for a day before you try. CAREFULLY note shims in the join and keep them together, separately for each side.
  • The caliper will prevent the disc being removed, so the two caliper bolts will have to be undone. As they are coming off, if they are in poor shape, now is the moment to renew them.
  • Remove disc and replace with new
  • Replace caliper
  • Replace shims and do up driveshaft nuts. Note, cleaning the threads with a thread cutter is a good plan, and protecting them with something like a rubber fuel tube cut to length is a good idea.
  • If the handbrake caliper is iffy, then cleaning and greasing the mechanism is a good plan too.

If you get stuck, just post for further pointers
    Greg

Old 11-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks Greg !! I have a reasonable set of tools, a heated garage and plenty of time. Any other torque specs that I should know about?

Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 PM

Greg or others. Anybody have more detailed instructions on the rear rotors and brake changes with pictures? My car is getting much nicer with the work so far and I still want to do more with time.