XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1991 XJS Convertible PS hose size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 XJS Convertible PS hose size?

Hello all, I'm new to jags and am working on my neighbors XJS 5.3 HE so that I get to drive it. I've been laboring at removing the faulty High Pressure Hose and finally got it out after much struggle including dropping the rack partially and inching the hose out by degrees for over an hour with a stubby 13mm.

Happy days!

But the bad part is this: I have a replacement hose, but when I go to install it in the pump side first I find out the nut is too big for the pump! Does any one have any tips or help? Anything would be appreciated. I'm used to very efficient and straightforward German and Japanese cars of my own so this sort of frustration is new to me personally but not unknown. (I watch enough Top Gear...)

The new hose is a Edelmann from Rockauto.com which i got for an 1992 because that is the year he told me and I did not double check the door plaque but ran VIN and got 1991 (MFD 1990 via plaque). Was there any change in pumps from 1990 to 1992?

Thanks guys, have a great day.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I don't know what's going on with XJS power steering hoses. A few months ago I ordered a replacement for an '89 XJS from a well known supplier and it caused me abject grief. It was theoretically an "updated" design but it was so different from the original I had great difficulty making it work.

Others have reported the same, but not consistantly.

Next time...if there is a next time....I'll just take the old hose to a hydraulic shop and have a new one made....duplicated.... on the spot

Sorry I can't answer your question about pumps but hopefully a bit of commiseration was helpful :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jaghelper (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I don't know what's going on with XJS power steering hoses. A few months ago I ordered a replacement for an '89 XJS from a well known supplier and it caused me abject grief. It was theoretically an "updated" design but it was so different from the original I had great difficulty making it work.

Others have reported the same, but not consistantly.

Next time...if there is a next time....I'll just take the old hose to a hydraulic shop and have a new one made....duplicated.... on the spot

Sorry I can't answer your question about pumps but hopefully a bit of commiseration was helpful :-)

Cheers
DD
Thanks for the commiseration. Everything seems to be fine just the fitting is a mm or two too large. makes me unhappy. I may have to find a shop like you say and have the old fitting put on the new hose or something. ugh.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

The JDHT (Jaguar Daimler Hertitage Trust) catalog shows all V12 XJSs using the same p/steering pump from (at least) vin 139052 onward. In USA-speak this would be 1988 MY onward.

The pressure hose part number shows a variety of supercessions... which is where the trouble begins.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM

yikes...if it were my car, I'd probably consider just doing without the power steering like I do on my girlfriend's integra by her choice.

Thanks for looking that up Doug.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

If you got the Edelmann part number 92140 that "should" work from '82 to '92.

One thought, and I'm stretching it bit here.....

The fitting at the back of the pump that the hose screws into is itself removable. Is there any chance that when you removed the old hose that you actually removed the fitting from the pump......and perhaps it's still on he end of the old hose? If so, that might account for the mis-match

Cheers
DD

Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Well that is the part I ordered so that's not the issue. attached is the old hose. If we are talking about the same thing, I don't see what's "removable" about that threaded fitting other than that it slides around. Is there another piece in there? the new hose goes into the hole, its just the new fitting that wont go in to even catch the threads. I visually compared the two and the new one looks to be slightly bigger just eyeballing it. I don't have a caliper measurement tool thingie.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 XJS Convertible PS hose size?-img_2408.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaghelper
Well that is the part I ordered so that's not the issue. attached is the old hose. If we are talking about the same thing, I don't see what's "removable" about that threaded fitting other than that it slides around. Is there another piece in there? the new hose goes into the hole, its just the new fitting that wont go in to even catch the threads. I visually compared the two and the new one looks to be slightly bigger just eyeballing it. I don't have a caliper measurement tool thingie.

What I meant was the fitting attached to the pump, that the hose screws into, may have somehow come off with the hose....but I see that's not the case.

At this point it simply sounds like the hose is wrong/incorrectly assembled/has the wrong size fitting.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Yeah, it sure does seem like that. Oh well! Thanks for the help anyway. I'm gonna go to a hydraulic shop and see what they can do for me come monday.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Just finished installing my pressure hose without much effort. I found that the fitting on the rack, which is not accessable from below can easily be reached from above. I did remove the upper attachment bolt and turned the rack a little. I don't think I would have needed to even do that. My car is a '96 and may not be the same as a '92. The old hose was not leaking as yet but was pretty rotten, at least on the outside. I did not want another fire.
RagJag

Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RagJag
Just finished installing my pressure hose without much effort. I found that the fitting on the rack, which is not accessable from below can easily be reached from above. I did remove the upper attachment bolt and turned the rack a little. I don't think I would have needed to even do that. My car is a '96 and may not be the same as a '92. The old hose was not leaking as yet but was pretty rotten, at least on the outside. I did not want another fire.
RagJag
Glad to hear it was pretty easy for you. Being a 5.3L V12 there was no possible way to get to it from the top unfortunately, maybe its easier with the newer 6.0.

It has probably taken me near 10 hours of labor plus having NAPA splice the old and new hose endings on the pump side. Didn't know NAPA did that till now. Just finished about 30 min ago putting the new hose on and having to reattach the whole rack (minus the tie rods) So, this weekend I'll flush it, then pump it full of lucas stop leak just for good measure and pray it's fixed.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, the V12 is too crowded in th engine bay to get down to the fittings. Glad you got it done.
RagJag