XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1993 xjr-s

Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 xjr-s

I have a 1993 xjr-s; 35k miles in pretty good condition. need some help with some tech. things. the antenna wont go up and not sure how to fix it. also, anyone know how to reset the factory alarm/keyless entry? the battery was disconectted and i cant get the alarm to work. how about a cigarette lighther. anyone know where to buy one. thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Lucky man, the XJR-S cars are a rare find

Aerial..... whats it doing ? making noise but not going up and down or no noise at all ? If no noise, then check fuses, connections, etc. All connections and fuses for the aerial are in the trunk behind a trim panel. If making noise but not going up and down usually means its stripped the plastic gears off, which is either a rebuild or buy a new one. There's plenty of room in the trunk panel so you could easily fit an aftermarket one if you don't want to get a proper Jaguar one, which would probably turn out to be expensive.

Alarm/keyless..... is it a factory fit Jaguar system ? or an aftermarket system ?

Cigarette lighter.... I got one from Pepboys which fit perfectly. The correct Jaguaar one is nothing special, just a plain black plastic top, so just get a generic one that fits.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good advice on everything but the antenna. If you hear the motor running then just replace the mast. It's an easy fix. Probably less then $25.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Default new member xjr-s

it doesnt sound like the antenna is making any noise at all. i dont hear anything. i bought a replacement antenna online but i am not sure how to replace it or if it needs to be replaced. a new radio was placed a couple of years ago. not sure what to do. the security system is the factory one; i have the security key chain. it worked up until the mechanic unplugged the battery. i just dont know how to reset it. when i open up the doors it makes a sound like a blow horn. the red light on the steering panel systems to blink. any suggestions.

pics will be here soon. thanks for your help. r

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

@ Ken :: Thanks for the additional insight. The last time I saw an aerial fail the plastic teeth on the mast had been stripped as you suggested. It was easier (for me) and cheaper to fit a new mast than order a replacement part and fiddle with the existing one, but either way would work

@ rjag :: Did the aerial ever work ? If the car has an aftermarket stereo added, there will be a wire on the back of the stereo that tells the aerial to go up when the tuner is activated. If this is not connected, the aerial will not work. If for some reason the stereo doesn't have this, you can connect this wire instead to an ignition live source. That way the aerial will extend once you turn on the ignition. The key here is whether your aerial used to work, but suddenly stopped, or if its never worked

For the alarm, assuming the XJR-S has nothing special about the alarm, here is what I found in ALLData...

Two transmitters are supplied with each vehicle; however, the system may be coded for use with up to five transmitters. If new or additional transmitters are requested, the system must be recoded with all of the transmitters for the vehicle at hand (from two to five transmitters).

Coding for new transmitters is completed as follows:

1. record the radio preset stations
2. disconnect the security system back-up battery
3. disconnect the vehicle battery negative terminal
4. reconnect the vehicle battery and then the back-up battery - the sounder emits a tone indicating that the system is awaiting code entry.

Press each transmitter button one or more times until five transmissions are made, noting that each transmitter must be pressed at least once. The sounder emits a tone with each code entry to indicate that the code was accepted. When the system has accepted five code entries, coding is complete. Reset the radio station memory and the clock.

The security system back up battery is located directly underneath the security ECU which is on the rear right handside of the trunk (under the aerial interestingly)

It looks like you have to disconnect the batteries in sequence, wheras your mechanic only disconnected the car battery, and not the security back up battery, which has probably thrown the system out of sync. So now if you follow the procedures outlined above (ie disconnect the security system battery THEN disconnect the car battery, then reconnect car battery THEN security system battery, your remotes should go into programming mode) you should be able to get them key fob transmitter synced back up again

Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Default 1993 xjrs

i had my mechanic look at the antenna and he said that it does have power to it. (he checked it with some electrical device) he said the anntenna motor was probably broken. i asked him about wether the radio was connected appropriately and he said it was because there is power to the antenna itself. a original antenna he said would cost me 400 dollars so I am not sure what to do.

he does not seem to know about the security system resetting and reprograming. he said the key chain itself may be broken but when i do press the jaguar head on the secruity key chain the red light on the steering column lights up as if there is some communication.

also on the right side of the steering column there is an on/off switch that i think is related to the security system. the mechanic said he had never seen that before and it was added on. anyone have any pics wethere the additional security system batter is located?

thanks. r

Old 01-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm no help with the key fob but I do have an antenna. I have a new unit for $233.61 plus about $10 for ground shipping.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

See the attached picture for where the secuirty ECU is. The security system back up battery is underneath it. Follow the procedure I already gave, not difficult. Your key fob is doing exactly what it should be doing if it's not synced ie flashes the warning LED to show communication.

The switch on the steering column is also shown. This is the valet switch for the security system.

Aerial --> buy the correct one from Ken or get an aftermarket one and get a GOOD audio installer to fit it.

Attached Thumbnails 1993 xjr-s-91308006.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Default help SARC cannot open picture file

can some one help me open up the picture file that was sent to me by SARC? the page says i do not have permission to view it.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM

i cant open the attached file SARC; no privleges. can anyone help

Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

@rjag Don't know why you can't view the picture ? anyway, I uploaded it here :

So the security system back up battery is underneath the security system control unit, which is in the trunk, on the right hand side if you are standing facing the front of the car

Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Default God bless everyone

God bless you sarc and others for your help
after studying the picture and futzing around i managed to get the security system reset and now it works. I really am amazed and i appreciate everyones help.

No about the attenna; i turned the car on and it does make a sound when i turn it to the #2 position. I can hear a motor running but nothing is happening. I dont mind spending the money for oem antenna but just wondered if this is something that i can fix or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

@rjag

Glad you got the security system sorted. Now you can keep your XJR-S Safe ! (they are rare and sought after cars)

So... your aerial.... I'm assuming the noise you hear is definitely from the aerial ? (and not from the fuel pump?) The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when you turn the ignition to "2" to prime the fuel rail. The aerial should go up when you turn the ignition to "1" and the radio is turned on. So in theory, when you moved from "0" to "1" you should hear the aerial (if there is any life left in it) and then hear the fuel pump for 2 seconds when you move from "1" to "2"

Now, I know you said earlier that you had an aftermarket stereo in the car so it's always possible it was wired differently to work at position "2" instead of "1" Anyway, if it is thre aerial that is making the noise, then you could go with Kens suggestion to buy a new mast. I haven't fitted a new mast to an existing aerial before, so I can't comment on whether it's an easy job or not. I just bought a cheap aftermarket aerial and fitted that instead (<50USD + 1 hour of time.. easy job)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Default advice

OK..so i contemplated what to do about the antenna and decided to take it out. the antenna is now out of the vehicle. i want to buy a new one; OEM if possible but not sure where to buy one or if an original antenna for a 1993 xjr-s is even available.

also there was an aftermarket radio in there, an alpine, but I am old school and i still have the original jaguar radio/cassette tape player and i am leaning to putting this one back in.

anyone have any opinions on this. the car is prewired and set up for a cd changer in the trunk which i think i would like to have back there. anyone know where i can get an original 6cd changer for the trunk.

i appreciate everyones help.

hey sarc, where in california you located?

thanks. r

Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hi rjag

My recommendation for the aerial would be to buy an aftermarket one as in all honesty, it's not going to detract from the value or the functionality of the car. I bought something like this one.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044PW...=antenna&ssi=0

The actual model I bought is now discontinued but there are many options. The key thing when buying an aftermarket antenna is the hidden depth, ie the size of the unit thats going to go underneath the wing in the trunk. The best thing is to measure the real antenna you have taken out of the car. You know that if you get an aftermarket antenna that has less hidden depth than the one you took out, you'll be ok. I have seen folks buying aftermarket antennas then finding that it can't fit in the original space in the car.

Here is a "real" one....

http://www.jagbits.com/mm5/merchant....JS_Accessory_1

gulp.

As far as the headunit is concerned, it's great you have the original one, and for sure keep a hold of it in case you come to sell the car. It will make a big difference in terms of originality. It's pretty easy to swap the headunits so I would keep your aftermarket one, or get another aftermarket one with more modern features (ie ipod connection, bluetooth, HD, satellite radio, remote control, etc) and enjoy the improved features while you have the car.

For the CD changer, you would be trying to look for a second hand one, which would be difficult. I have a 92 XJS which has the CD Changer installed so I'll have a look when I get home tonight and try and send you the model number and maker (I think it's Alpine). This may give you some help in trying to find one.

The fact that you have an aftermarket unit installed already may mean that the installer hacked into the loom in a non-sympathetic manner so you may be missing connectors but you'll have to pull the head unit out to see if you're going to need some other items to reconnect the original head unit.

I'm in San Jose, but originally from sunny Scotland :-)

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

thanks sarc; well i already pulled the aftermarket radio at and looked at the connections. it seems there is an adapter fitting that makes it fit into the aftermarket. there is one black wire that i am not sure where it goes to. i think it fits into the the oem radio but a screw. not sure.

i found a used cd changer on jagbits for 300 or so.
i may just buy the oem antenna from jag bits.

i inherited this car from my father who recently passed away so it has some real special meaning.

thanks again. r

Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hi rjag

Totally makes sense to me now.

Yes, get the OEM parts. Only the best for this car.

Let us know if we can help with anything else

Take care