XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Excessive Heat Entering Interior 1989 XJ-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Heat Entering Interior 1989 XJ-S

Excessive Heat Entering Interior 1989 XJ-S

Hi

I am seeking some advice on why there is so much heat entering the car's interior. It seems that with the fan off and temperature dial set low the heat continues to pour in. I don't know what else I need to say to describe this issue.

The other item that I am unsure if it is related or not is a clicking sound. The sound seems to come from under the glove compartment area. It seems to be like a control cycling on and off.

Please let me know if I need to expand my description.

Thank you in advance.

Gerry / James

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi James

The heat soak in the XJS is quite high. When you say heat is pouring in, do you mean its coming from the vents themselves ? either the screen vents, face level vents or floor vents ? or is it just that the cabin is getting very warm ?

Does your A/C work ? If so can it keep the cabin cool ?

My A/C is not working and if I drive around town with the roof up and the windows up it gets pretty hot inside the cabin, and thats in the middle of winter (well, the middle of a California winter anyway)

The V12 generates a lot of heat which comes through the firewall, and I also find a lot of heat coming off the cats that are basically right under your feet through the floor. If I stop after the car has been run and open the door there is a huge waft of heat rises up from underneath the car.

I also have the periodic buzzing/ckicking noise which comes from the passenger side lower dash.... It's kind of quirky, a bit like the car so I haven't done any investigation into whether it's supposed to be making noise or not.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM

I have to first admit my ignorance as this is my wife's inaugural XJ-S.

Most of the heat is from the floor area. I will have to look to see where the vents are to determine if that is the source or not.

The heat entry seems active as in vents unlike what I would define as passive from the firewall or floor pan.

The AC was charged and when it functioned the situation was somewhat under control. Last time we drove and turned the AC on the result was more hot air from the face level vents. I was timid in running the AC if the charge was gone by some leak that will need attention.

Similar to a CA winter, a FL winter is tame. The idea of a FL summer in this condition is, well, a little frightening.

The engine temperature gage mostly indicates below normal.

My clicking noise is almost constant.

Thanks for your input !

Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hi James

For FL you'll definitely need to get your A/C functioning 100% ! If your XJS is a convertible (I forget if you told us this in one of your other posts) then you'll also be battling from sun heat soak through the canvas top (mine is Black and its a nightmare)

Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM

My solution to this issue is to keep adding R134 and using more gas to run the A/C. Heck just another expense like the oil evaporating.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hi James

Yes, I think A/C will be mandatory in Florida. If you are topping the gas up frequently, you must have a leak. It may be worthwhile getting it looked at. My Iidependant Jaguar mechanic (very good) claims that most of the "consumables" ie compressor, dryer, reciever are relatively cheap as they are to common to some other cars, so maybe an overhaul would be easier than listening to the Mrs complain all the time :-)

Take care