XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1994 xjs fuel pump or relay issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 xjs fuel pump or relay issues

Well the 94 took a dump on us today...thinking fuel pump or relay... Where about is the relay on these?? Obviously I know where the pump is but trying to do least intrusive first. Thanks for help in advance.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,741 Likes on 2,594 Posts

Originally Posted by FightinFire31
Well the 94 took a dump on us today...thinking fuel pump or relay... Where about is the relay on these?? Obviously I know where the pump is but trying to do least intrusive first. Thanks for help in advance.
Where is the fuel pump located on your Car? is it inside the fuel tank behind a steel baffle plate or can you actually see it, when you open the boot (trunk) ?

The first thing to check is the cut out, which is concealed in a plastic box down by the passenger door.

Just open the passenger door and you will see it screwed on to the door post just inside the car near the bottom door hinge.

Its not hidden under the dashboard and will be easy to see

(its not on the door) its just inside the car screwed on to the door post in a box the size of a matchbox held on by one screw.

In the top of this box is a hole big enough to put your finger through and in that hole is a reset button that 'May' need resetting (push to reset)

If you want to make really sure, you can take its cover off (held on by one screw)

The idea is if you roll the car, it cuts off the fuel to the engine but it can on occasions cut out and need resetting.

Maybe the result of something like an unexpected bump or jarring.

Although its unlikely to be this, it would be the first thing to check.

Before you splash out on a relay, can you see the plug going into the pump? so you can check if voltage is getting to it.

As I don't know your model of car Google: (Images) for Jaguar XJS fuel pump relay location and it brings up some useful photos and a diagram.

Tried to add the link to this post but it wouldn't fire up.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

I just put a new fuel pump in the XJS you see in the photo.

Main dealer price was just shy of £1,000! much of which was for labor, which might give you some idea of what a job this is, as being a Convertible my fuel tank was hidden behind a steel baffle plate.

Everything that could be unbolted had to come out in order to get to the tank, so its one of those thankless jobs that you have to commit to, as once you make a start on it there is no going back.

Having just been there and done it myself, like any job on any car, the worst part is quite often in your head, where you can build up a picture of how hard it is going to be, rather than getting stuck in and making it happen.

Also having encountered whatever snags I found, it would be much easier second time around, so if you decide to have a go (if it is the pump?) hit me up and I will try and help.

It could be the fuel pump relay, as that's quite a common fault (Let's hope it is!!!!)

Old 03-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump

You've been a great help. The job isn't difficult at all, just needed a bit of direction. Especially considering some of the daunting issues on the cars where I am at! The car is a convertible like yours so the pump was exposed, The only issue that I am having is that instead of being skrewed into the door post the relay reset module ( i suppose is what i will call it) is rivetted in behind some plastic, so I am at the shop now getting ready to drill out the rivets and replace it and the fuel pump. I realize that this wont be the cheapest however, if it avoids a phone call to come pick up the owner due to a dead jaguar, It will save me alot of face! haha!!! Thanks for your help as usual. This forum is GREAT! I will post again when I am driving her in the sun later this afternoon!!!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FightinFire31
You've been a great help. The job isn't difficult at all, just needed a bit of direction. Especially considering some of the daunting issues on the cars where I am at! The car is a convertible like yours so the pump was exposed, The only issue that I am having is that instead of being skrewed into the door post the relay reset module ( i suppose is what i will call it) is rivetted in behind some plastic, so I am at the shop now getting ready to drill out the rivets and replace it and the fuel pump. I realize that this wont be the cheapest however, if it avoids a phone call to come pick up the owner due to a dead jaguar, It will save me alot of face! haha!!! Thanks for your help as usual. This forum is GREAT! I will post again when I am driving her in the sun later this afternoon!!!
If your pump is exposed you are lucky, as my fuel pump actually sits in the tank dipping into the 'gas'

But you can't just take the pump out because they built the bodywork right over the top of it.

So the only way to change the fuel pump, is to take the tank out, or at least pull it out far enough to see what you're doing.

But in order to get to that stage, you virtually have to unbolt and take out everything you can see and getting that baffle plate out is a real pain in the butt, as it's such a tight fit, as too is the fuel tank.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info ref. the fuel pump reset. I have replaced the filter w/o any results, no fuel. Hopefully, the relay corrects the problem w/o playing the fuel pump-a job.