XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 XJS warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 1996 XJS warning lights

My new (to me) '96 XJs convertible has warning light issues - the hand brake switch is bad (and being replaced) causing that warning bulb to light so I understand that issue - and the brake light comes on intermittently probably related to the hand brake issue (as per a search of this forum) , but the friggin' EPA mandated "check engine" light keeps coming on and not cycling off - no change in performance whatsoever when it comes on - went to my independent jag mechanic last week and he agrees no problems based on the car /codes and cleared the code. But the check engine light popped on again - no change in performance so it seems to be an electronic issue as opposed to an exhaust issue.
I know these cars have electronic gremlins and it is 14/15 years old, but anybody else have this issue and if so how did you deal with it? As an aside I've been reading through Kirby Palm's treatise and I see no specific reference (except one about the 150k mile warranty on emissions I'll address later if I can't figure it out)
The car has the 4.0 6 cylinder and low miles (25k). I'm thinking of buying a code reader to plug in and clearing it myself each time unless there is a better alternative.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post your findings in regard to the brake warning light issue. Mine intermittently comes on, or flickers, as the gremlins see fit. No issues with other warning lights, nor check engine light.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Default Warning light issues

The face lifted XJS should not have electrical gremlins if the car has been properly cared for. If the wire harness has not been modified and the electrical system is still as it was intended to be then it will be an easy fix for the right person. I have a coupe, a convertible, and a 96 sedan and can honestly say that there are no mystery check engine light problems with any of them. If the light comes on there is a reason, the mechanic may not know what it is but a better mechanic would have found out what it was. You need a better mechanic or an Equus 3130 code reader. Pull the code, enter the information from the code reader into google and see what you get. Spend some time at the computer and you will end up with a short list of possibilities. Too many mechanics are only interested in the tangible repair. If they can't see a worn out part they make an excuse and send the car away. I am going to made a wild guess that you have a code for exhaust gas recirculation system which is most likely to be an accumulation of crud in the intake manifold just below the EGR valve. You have to remove the throttle body to clean it. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

pkellymc - will do. one thing to do check is that the brake fluid reservoir is filled to the proper level as there is a module/switch for the abs light located there that will cause the light to go off if it's a little low (that's the first place to look as it's easy). Mine was a bit low and the light went off but is still flickering a bit after it's warmed up. The hand brake switch was shorting so that's been disconnected and a new one is on order. Once replaced that may fix the brake light problem - we'll see. If it would stay on I could get a read on the code, but it doesn't stay on.

Mac.XJX.Florida - thanks for the input - I'll check the intake manifold.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM

How did you replace your hand brake switch that you ordered?