XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

3 seatbelts in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 3 seatbelts in the rear?

Hi Colleagues.
I posted this question in the New Member Section and was advised I should re-post here.
In short, I need to try and add a 3rd seat belt (lap sash style to the rear bench seat of an XJS. This only will be a possibly tempery thing. Is it possible?

For the full story behind this move please visit.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-seater-94823/

Cheers
Katoh

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Can it be done? Oh yes. Will it be comfortable? Probably not for long even with foam padding and such because there is no place for legs. Finding a seat belt would be easy enough at a junkyard. Just about any vehicle with a bench seat will have the middle lap belts you would need.

I read the ages of your children on the other post and the distance you plan to travel. I must say you are braver than most if you plan on strapping the 3 of them in confined quarters for any length of time! Unless you are serving complimentary sedatives?
I think I'd go it alone if it were me!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
I must say you are braver than most if you plan on strapping the 3 of them in confined quarters for any length of time! Unless you are serving complimentary sedatives?
I think I'd go it alone if it were me!
Brave No! Silly well that's a point that can be contended. Sedatives, we will need more than just for the children, a double shot for the better half would be more advisable.

On a more serious note, I found a firm here in Aus that make an aftermarket belt and buckle, specifically for this purpose. They both tie into the existing hold down points where the existing buckles bolt onto the car. The sets come complete with brackets and fasteners for $71Au a bargain. The only question that is now posed is, that of any legal ramifications, changing a 4 seater to a 5, engineers certificates, insurance.
My qualifications are in Civil Engineering, mind you I never practiced went straight into building yes! Still remember some maths and personally can not see an issue, but my word most likely will not count for much.

Im trying to coax the better half into doing a just "us" road trip, after 17 years of non parole it may be a welcomed break, that's my argument in its entirety.
If not we go back to the initial plan of taking the whole tribe, sort of reminds me now of the those Chevy Chase movies, national lampoons vacations. The Oz version "XJS Madness" The hilarious story of a man trying please all his family, but finally gets driven insane and just can't wait to get back to work, and will never live the road trip down.
Stops every 1-2 hours will not be problem for most of the journey, the problem exists when we get closer to home say 5-6 hours away, we all know the road well and everyone will simply just want to get home by then, that's when I see trouble really starting.

Thanks Again for the input, all really good points.
Still will have to add the extra belt when home, as all of them will want to come no doubt on a Sunday drive, or there will be a time that I will have to put all of them in the car regardless. Either way I am going to have do something.

Cheers
Katoh

Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Friends
I have updated the other thread, sorry just comes down to how many reply, and the first thread had a few.
Simply I abandoned the idea for the long trip and will pickup the car with just my wife, but still will add the 3Rd belt when back in town for shorter trips so I can carry the three children.

Cheers
Katoh

Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Just curious Katoh. You mentioned 17 years of non-parole. Is that 17 years of marriage? If so, what are the ages of the children? Older than 10 years will not fir back there in any comfort and 10 may be stretching it.
Cheers, RagJag

Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RagJag
Just curious Katoh. You mentioned 17 years of non-parole. Is that 17 years of marriage? If so, what are the ages of the children? Older than 10 years will not fir back there in any comfort and 10 may be stretching it.
Yep 17 years of martial bliss, goes quick. Children ages are 8-10-12.
totally agree on a long trip, definitely a bad idea, but what I had to do is physically show my wife how much room these cars do have in the back seat, and that's not much.
Thanks to a friend who has a family member with one I actually showed her, and she agreed it would not be a smart move.
I hope it all works out, it sounds more and more like a great trip, 2500klm down the eastern seaboard of Oz, and a fair bit of it neither of us have seen before.

cheers
Katoh