XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

83 XJ-S HE Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,188 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Maybe a pre HE manifold was fitted for some reason?
Are the plugs taper seat ones? If so, as Doug explaind above, pre-HE head.
Greg

Old 11-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

They are the taper seat plugs. With the exception of the Intake manifolds and ignition system, fuel rails, everything looks like my 87's V12. One thing I have a question about.

I have not found an Ignition amplifier ( the small black box that plugs into the coil and usually mounts onto the manifold) this distributor has the round disk with ferrite rods instead of a reluctor pickup like in the 87's.
Does this version operate more like an old points and condenser system?

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

The early V-12 used the "trigger board" here's an extensive break down.

http://www.ecs.fullerton.edu/~sowell...orOverhaul.htm

Greg in France (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,188 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Originally Posted by JLBolen
They are the taper seat plugs. With the exception of the Intake manifolds and ignition system, fuel rails, everything looks like my 87's V12. One thing I have a question about.

I have not found an Ignition amplifier ( the small black box that plugs into the coil and usually mounts onto the manifold) this distributor has the round disk with ferrite rods instead of a reluctor pickup like in the 87's.
Does this version operate more like an old points and condenser system?
So it looks like you have an HE engine, but with pre-HE distributor, ignition and manifolds. I wonder why anyone did that? The ferrite rods provide the trigger signal, and somewhere, I think, there must be a Lucas OPUS ignition electronic box to go with all that. Quite different looking from the HE Lucas amp box. I have a feeling they eventually mounted them in front of the rad somewhere, as the heat in the V they could not take very well.
I have just had a careful look at the first of your photos, and I am pretty sure the silver box on the valence in front of the rad is the OPUS box. This system is not that reliable, so putting back the proper HE ignition would be a good move if you keep the car.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 11-27-2016 at 12:03 PM.
JLBolen (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The only thing missing for the distributor is the trigger board.
The amplifier is mounted in front of the radiator.
I have been looking for a change over ignition system, but so far not much luck. I can get the trigger board thru SNG, so I'm probably going to go that route for now.
Also noticed the fan is cracked, so will order replacement for that also. My wife suggested that I look for another XJS V12, wrecked maybe, for an actual parts car as when you add the cost of replacing some parts it will be less expensive that route. Will speak to my salvage yard tomorrow to see if they can find one.

So for now I'm working on other areas of the car, just finished compounding it and looks really good. Who comes up with the names for the paint?? My paint code is PDE which translates to Maraschino Black Thermoplastic...

Plan on removing the fuel tank tomorrow and sump, will have them cleaned out and checked.