XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

85 XJS interior lights staying on in rear and fuel gauge says empty when full

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 85 XJS interior lights staying on in rear and fuel gauge says empty when full

Hi there folks and new to the forum and recently bought a huge load of Jag parts and 2 Jags with V12's in them. The one is an 85 and the estate I purchased it from said it ran and after I fueled it up, it did run great. The interior was pulled out of it and it sat for about 6 months. it is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL piece, all repainted and in WONDERFUL condition and I am a big car buff. What is funny is I am not into Jags or red cars, but this car is creaming for me to keep it unless I sell the lot to someone.

That said, the interior is out and area around the shifter console area is out and hence the connections are unplugged. There are a few minor issues I need to resolve whether I keep it or not and one is the fuel gauge is not showing anything despite the tank being full. The other issue the rear interior lights on both sides are staying on and hence kipping the battery. I'm not sure if either of these issues are attributed to the interior being out or not. I'm pretty good with cars, but Jags are a new animal is all. The good news is the 86 V12 is complete so I have a whole totally restorable car to swap out parts as needed.

The power steering is also leaking and anyhow these are all things I can deal with. So many Jag parts come with this lot it is crazy, enough for 2+ cars-literally and have pallets of engines and such for Jags and even some older Jag stuff. Any local NJ folks that want to take a peak or stop by, call me 856-300-5138 from 10-7 M-F. I don't know any other Jag folks in my area. I think I can post pictures after 10 posts, but anyhow the 85 might be original owner and VERY clean other than the interior needs redone and I am guessing that will cost $1500 for the seats to be redone and the panels an of course more if you don't shop but feel free to chime in. Anyhow, cheers to you all and reading the posts here. Gary

Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Can anyone shed some light on the rear interior lights so I can disconnect my battery charger from the battery? I did not know if there is something specific to my 85 XJS here, but input would be appreciated. Thank you! Gary

Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ViperGTS
Can anyone shed some light on the rear interior lights so I can disconnect my battery charger from the battery? I did not know if there is something specific to my 85 XJS here, but input would be appreciated. Thank you! Gary
The rear interior lights are switched in two ways:

Door switches
Dashboard switch

Try pushing the dash switch, and check that the door switches are actually switching off. If necessary the fittings can be gently levered out and the bulb removed. Also, remember that there is a timer relay on the lights and they stay on for about 30 seconds after the switch is off, so wait to see if they go off eventually.

Fuel gauge
The sender (centre of fuel tank in boot behind spare wheel) has an earth lead and two live leads. test the earth lead gives a good earth. then one live lead does the low fuel warning light (brown/pink wire), and one does the gauge (green/orange wire). Earthing the live leads with the ignition on, one at a time (just a quick blip) should show the light and flick the gauge. It might be a disconnected wire at the sender, or a wiring fault or a gauge/instrument cluster fault. But start with the sender, I suggest.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-14-2013 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2000ViperGTS (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The rear interior lights are switched in two ways:

Door switches
Dashboard switch

Try pushing the dash switch, and check that the door switches are actually switching off. If necessary the fittings can be gently levered out and the bulb removed. Also, remember that there is a timer relay on the lights and they stay on for about 30 seconds after the switch is off, so wait to see if they go off eventually.

Fuel gauge
The sender (centre of fuel tank in boot behind spare wheel) has an earth lead and two live leads. test the earth lead gives a good earth. then one live lead does the low fuel warning light (brown/pink wire), and one does the gauge (green/orange wire). Earthing the live leads with the ignition on, one at a time (just a quick blip) should show the light and flick the gauge. It might be a disconnected wire at the sender, or a wiring fault or a gauge/instrument cluster fault. But start with the sender, I suggest.
Greg
Merci Greg!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Wait...parts?! Like, maybe, a rear right quarter window motor? And a transmission dipstick?

I've been hunting without luck, and keep hearing "you need a parts car" which, maybe you have.....

Gina / gkazimir@verizon.net

Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Greg in France MERCI MERCI! it was the switch on the right of my dash that was on. Too funny for me, this is almost laughable and I just had time to look at this again-haha. Gina make room for my parts car, although my car is completely restorable indeed and I hope to sell it with my mint 1985 car :-) We are not that far away as I am in Southern NJ and man oh man I have a ton of Jag stuff from piles of V12 engines and transmissions-haha. Thanks Gary 856-300-5142 from 10-7 M-F

Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Glad it is fixed. A question:
In your stash of parts, do you have a spare aircon amplifier, part number C45402. It is clipped to the underside nearest the cabin, US driver's side of the Delanaire mark II aircon unit used in all XJSs until about 1987. It is about the size of a large cigarette packet and L shaped in profile with two leads, one a fused earth and the other a round multiplug.

They are unobtainable at any price and nobody wants to make any more, even the Aussie firm that advertises them has not got any and will not make any more for the poor brits who need them! (Something to do with losing at cricket, Grant?).

Greg