XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

85 XJS reverse light / instrument fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy 85 XJS reverse light / instrument fuse

Can anyone that may have had this issue help?
My xjs blows the instrument and reverse light fuse when the shifter is placed in neutral or reverse.
I have removed the ski slope, and disconnected the microswitch on the right out of the two mounted to the shifter (the one on the left is start interlock). This switch is only actuated in R and N. however, it still blows the fuse. is there another switch for the backup lights?
With the overheating issues these cars can exhibit, and having just gotten the car together - installed a replacement engine, the original one was severely overheated - I am worried about not being able to tell temp / pressure when driving.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Sounds like it might be a short in the power wire going to the switch. It could have shorted out somewhere beneath the slope and when the shifter touches it, it blows the fuse.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsfever
I have removed the ski slope, and disconnected the microswitch on the right out of the two mounted to the shifter (the one on the left is start interlock). This switch is only actuated in R and N. however, it still blows the fuse. is there another switch for the backup lights?

My experience is with an '88 but I'm 99% sure they're the same.

The reverse light switch is sorta round-ish with a plunger-type actuation and will have green and green/brown wires.

If you have something matching that description unplug it and see what happens

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
xjsfever (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 AM

The only two switches I am able to find are in front of the shifter mounted to a bracket. The both have roller arms that ride on cams attached to the shifter pivot. Both switches are attached together to the bracket against each other. When you disconnect the left one, the car won't turn over. The cam for the right one has been milled off so that the switch is out in R or N. But when I disconnect it, it still blows the fuse. I cant finad any additional switches in that area.
My cat only blows the instrument fuse when she's put into Neutral or Reverse. On the 1994 XJS that I used to have, the switch was sometimes sticky, and the reverse lights would occasionally stay on while travelling forward. Even got pulled over for "white light to the rear".

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Doug you are the MAN! I found it, it is right under the front of the shift indicator housing, with the terminals pointing out towards the left side. I had dismissed this earlier as a 12v flasher like what is used for the emergency or turn signals. disconnected it, and no more blown fuse!

The reason I took off the ski slope to begin with was that right after I got the car running, I drove it through town and while sitting at a stop light i shifted the transmission into neutral to revv her up a little. I saw a light amount of smoke out of the console, the charging gague dropped some, and then all the instruments and the trip computer went dead.

Now I can continue with the search for the cause.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsfever
Doug you are the MAN! I found it, it is right under the front of the shift indicator housing, with the terminals pointing out towards the left side. I had dismissed this earlier as a 12v flasher like what is used for the emergency or turn signals. disconnected it, and no more blown fuse!

The reason I took off the ski slope to begin with was that right after I got the car running, I drove it through town and while sitting at a stop light i shifted the transmission into neutral to revv her up a little. I saw a light amount of smoke out of the console, the charging gague dropped some, and then all the instruments and the trip computer went dead.

Now I can continue with the search for the cause.
Hey - just saw this post - I have an 68 xjs-c same exact thing (thanks Doug!!) did you ever find the cause?