Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyCharger
HI Warren. I've tried a few times lately to access
The Jaguar Drivers Club of Australia

The Jaguar Drivers Club of Australia

but for some reason, won't connect. Have they changed servers?
This is a DNS resolution problem

To fix it open a DOS prompt and type ipconfig/flushdns

Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I can vouch that it works.

In fact, I wrote those directions :-)

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug. Well done. Simple question. Why did you install a relay and not just piggy-back the wires?
Thanks. Rod.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Hi Doug. Well done. Simple question. Why did you install a relay and not just piggy-back the wires?
Thanks. Rod.

I guessed that the kickdown solenoid draws a couple amps versus a relay needing only a couple tenths of an amp. I wasn't sure how sensitive the enrichment circuit would be to the amperage draw so the relay was simply a precaution.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 01:29 AM

ok guys. I've searched in vain for weeks for this fuel enrichment switch. Cannot find it. All I can find is the potentiometer under the throttle linkage and this seems to go up to about 4.8v. Where is this sneaky little switch located? Thanks. Rod.

ps the original kick-down switch on the outer cable, fell to pieces when I touched it.

Last edited by HeyCharger; 07-27-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts
Thumbs up

OK, look at the alloy capstan that the throttle cable winds around, and at the rear "should" be a micro switch on a tin plate. That tin plate is held in place by the 2 capstan nuts on the RH side of the pedestal.

Photo of my NON Jaguar oil sender shows the switch in question.

86 V-12 Hard to Start When Hot-oil-sender-1.jpg

ENJOY.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 AM

Is it hiding? I still cannot see it :-(

Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 AM

NAH, it gone to Jag heaven.

AWOL also comes to mind.

It is missing, it is not there, damn.

Sooooo, the engine is relying purely on the "Blue/White" vac full load switch for enrichment, NOT GOOD.

The wires MUST be there is that area somewhere. They were originally in parallel with that Blue/White switch.

I would suggest finding a bracket and fitting that switch, as lean burn at the top end when the vac available will render that Blue/White switch useless, which will be fantastic when it becomes an 11 cylinder, as one has a hole in it, a lower compression than intended,mmmm.

It was eliminated with the Marelli cars.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-27-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Hey Grant what is the switch for on the Marelli cars, I have a switch in that location...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 AM

Please excuse me. I'm not trying to be a smart - a, but both manuals I have make no reference at all to the fuel enrichment switch. Was it discontinued at some time? They mention the TPS but that's all.
Might just try a mod like this http://forums.jag-lovers.org/avsn.php?1333281l94

Last edited by HeyCharger; 07-27-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Hey Grant what is the switch for on the Marelli cars, I have a switch in that location...
The only Marelli car I have ever seen, kinda thin here, had no switch there, but a similar switch on the LH cross rod crank, sort of near those silly bushes that go missing regularly, and it had something to do with idle fuel mixture reading to the ECU.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Please excuse me. I'm not trying to be a smart - a, but both manuals I have make no reference at all to the fuel enrichment switch. Was it discontinued at some time? They mention the TPS but that's all.
Might just try a mod like this JagFORUM Logon
The diagram I have attached is the one I have used for all the V12's I have worked on after engine fires. It came from a manual I copied, long ago, whilst I was at Jaguar, and as usual it is wrong in some areas, hence my scribbles.

Item 349 (not shown) is the Micro fuel switch, and Item 360 is the Vac fuel switch (Blue/White switch as I call it). That is why I have them shown together, as they are wired together, so one or either does what is required at different demands of motoring.

The diagram mentions Item 140, as "fuel changeover switch", but it is NOT on any diagram I have ever seen????.

The ECU needs to switch to a richer mixture, via pin #3 (corrected 29/7/12), firstly for acceleration (vac), and then again at wider throttle operation (micro). That is about 12% richer.

[ATTACH]21784[/ATTACH
I hope it is able to be magnified to read ??.

Attached Thumbnails 86 V-12 Hard to Start When Hot-he-efi-wiring-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Grant

I have two V12 engines 1985 and 1986 (one in one out) and neither of them have ever had this fuel enrichment switch. They only have the Vac switch on the A bank inlet manifold firewall end that (I am told) does something at full throttle (zero vac) to cause enrichment.

Is my car missing something?

Greg

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

My curiosity having gotten the better of me, and having just poured another cup of coffee, I did some perusing of my manuals. A couple thoughts and observations:

1) The electrical and vacuum enrichment switches are described in the ROM under the heading of "Full Load Fueling-cars to the USA". The purpose to defeat closed-loop operation, and force open loop operation, providing 12% enrichment.

2) The Jaguar parts catalog shows both items without any market-specific notations...or notes/exclusions of *any* kind, for that matter. This is significant, IMHO, as market-specific parts are normally clearly identified as such. From this a person might think all cars had both switches, period.

3) Every HE V12/Lucas I've seen had both switches. Of course, I've seen only USA cars :-)

4) Jaguar tech literature is loaded with discrepancies.

With respect to #1 above, I think the "....USA cars..." is probably in error. I think it would apply to *any* HE with cat converters regardless of market. Let's remember that other markets besides the USA got cat converters and, even if not a market requirement, a buyer could specify a cat converter/lamba equipped model.

With respect to #2 above, see #4 above :-)

So......

Does anyone have an original non-catalytic converter car? If so, does it have the switches?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon

I've worked on only one Marelli car--- 1989 model year, USA market. It had both the electrical and vacuum full-load switches...same switches, same location, same function as the Lucas cars. This agrees with the schematics I looked at for 1989 Marelli cars.

Haven't investigated later model years.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

3) Every HE V12/Lucas I've seen had both switches. Of course, I've seen only USA cars :-)

Does anyone have an original non-catalytic converter car? If so, does it have the switches?
Cheers
DD
Doug
I have had two UK spec non-cat cars, now one only (still have the engines from both) and neither of them have or ever had the full load microswitch.

Greg

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
The only Marelli car I have ever seen, kinda thin here, had no switch there, but a similar switch on the LH cross rod crank, sort of near those silly bushes that go missing regularly, and it had something to do with idle fuel mixture reading to the ECU.

Actually I think it changed *ignition timing* at idle, Grant. I can't remember the specifics, either, but there's no tie-in to fueling that I can find. When properly adjust the switch actuates if the throttle is opened about a millionth-of-an-inch off the idle position :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Doug
I have had two UK spec non-cat cars, now one only (still have the engines from both) and neither of them have or ever had the full load microswitch.

Greg

Good, now we have "one in a row" :-). Let's hope others chime in to make that five or six in a row, and establish a pattern.

But, to be doubly exacting, your engines have neither the vacuum NOR the electrical enrichment switch, correct? Both switches are absent?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Grant

They only have the Vac switch on the A bank inlet manifold firewall end that (I am told) does something at full throttle (zero vac) to cause enrichment.

Greg

Does it look like this?
USED THROTTLE CONTROL VALVE :: THROTTLE CONTROL...

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

But, to be doubly exacting, your engines have neither the vacuum NOR the electrical enrichment switch, correct? Both switches are absent?

Cheers
DD

Just saw your earlier post where you indicate you DO have a vacuum switch.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

2) The Jaguar parts catalog shows both items without any market-specific notations...or notes/exclusions of *any* kind, for that matter. This is significant, IMHO, as market-specific parts are normally clearly identified as such. From this a person might think all cars had both switches, period.

HOLD EVERYTHING!

My remarks above are in error. I've really bollixed up the works, sorry.

The *electrical* enrichment switch has the notation "Not UK and Europe (Emiss B) Middle East"

The vacuum enrichmment switch (JLM473 as linked in my previous post) has the notation "USA/CDN/Australia/Japan/Sweden/Germany/Switzerland"

Another version of the vacuum enrichment switch (EAC4371) appears to have been used for UK and Europe (Emiss B) Middle East"

I might conclude (although there's no reason anyone should be listening to me at this point).....

1) That all cars had a vacuum enichment switch.

2) Only cat converter/lambda cars had the electric enrichment switch.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: 86 V-12 Hard to Start When Hot