XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

86 xjs --key won't work

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM
kid
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 86 xjs --key won't work

I have an 86 jag. xjs -- All of a sudden my key won't work in the doors or the trunk ???

any suggestions???

thanks, kid

Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Damaged key, perhaps? Or damaged locks, perhaps from vandalism? Wrong key?

Is this a case where the key won't even go into the locks? Or the key goes in but the locks won't turn?

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM
kid

Originally Posted by Doug
Damaged key, perhaps? Or damaged locks, perhaps from vandalism? Wrong key?

Is this a case where the key won't even go into the locks? Or the key goes in but the locks won't turn?

Cheers
DD
Key still works ignition- - it has solenoid electric locks

Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange as my 1990 XJS has a different key for the door and the ignition. Are you saying your door key is the same one as the ignition?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

My 1985 has 3 keys. Ignition, doors and trunk.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 AM
kid

1 key has always fit all 3-- now only ignition works
neighbor & friend both picked the lock and said it wouldn't turn even when picked-- door and trunk both

I think the automatic lock has my system frozen in lock mode, I pulled this info off another site but after I got into the kick panels like it suggests-- none of the wire colors match up to any 4 wire plug and the wires onto the solenoid are different colors

Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 AM
kid

Originally Posted by kid
neighbor & friend both picked the lock and said it wouldn't turn even when picked-- door and trunk both

I think the automatic lock has my system frozen in lock mode, I pulled this info off another site but after I got into the kick panels like it suggests-- none of the wire colors match up to any 4 wire plug and the wires onto the solenoid are different colors
If you heard a clunk from the trunk when you locked the door it means you have the solenoid type locks. If any lock works with the key it proves that the "lock" relay in the right kick panel is working and that the fuse #17 is Ok and the thermal breaker (just right of the fuses in the Aux panel)is also ok. There is NO in-line fuse used in the solenoid type locks. To test the lock and unlock relays (unlock relay is in the left kick panel)
Disconnect the 4 wire plug on the drivers solenoid and with a test light check to see that the "Black" wire on the harness is a ground. The "Purple" wire is power. Apply 12v to the "Orange w/green" wire to lock the 3 doors and trunk. Apply 12v to the "Orange w/Red" wire to unlock the 3 doors. To test each relay apply 12v one at a time to each "Orange w/green" wire on the "C1" and "C4" position on the "Lock" relay to lock the 3 doors and trunk. Then apply 12v one at a time to the "C1 and "C4" position on the "Unlock" relay to unlock the 3 doors only. With these tests you should be able to isolate the problem.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kid

Odd about the key. On my 87 and 88 Jags the door key was different from the igntion key.

If you're thinking the lock system is electrically "stuck" you could pull a wire off the thermal breaker to cut the power and see if anything changes. This won't explain the trunk lock, though, as an '86 won't have a solenoid there....unless it was an add-on.

You might wanna pull the door panels to check/clean/inspect the linkages from the key cylinders to the door latch. Maybe they've rusted up? Same for the trunk lock?

All *three* locks suddenly rusting tight all at once is quite a stretch, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Start by pulling fuse no 8 in the main fuse block. In an '86 that should depower both solenoids. And as written in a previous post the boot didn't have solenoid in '86. If that does the trick one of the door switches is dead in the LOCK position. If no change continue as described abobe, most likely the LOCK relay is stuck in the lock position. The thermal circuit brakers should trip time and time again though so in between it should be possible to open. If you do not hear any clicking in between and it is not possible to unlock at any time maybe a short to +12V in the LOCK solenoid feed wire. Alternatively a dirty contact or broken wire / deat UNLOCK relay.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
kid

My mistake, I was looking at an old title
This car is an 84 xj6
this car has had a Chevy EFI tune port conversion done to it-- brain is in the glove box
I bought it 2 years ago and stripped it down to metal because of the cracking primer, and put a rear end underneath it

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kid
My mistake, I was looking at an old title
This car is an 84 xj6
this car has had a Chevy EFI tune port conversion done to it-- brain is in the glove box
I bought it 2 years ago and stripped it down to metal because of the cracking primer, and put a rear end underneath it

Well, the fundamentals of the system are the same either way.

Unless the locks have been changed/re-coded you really *should* have a different key for the exterior locks versus the ignition key/lock

Frankly, I'd follow up on that angle before doing anything else

Cheers
DD