XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

86 XJS maintenence before warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 86 XJS maintenence before warm weather

When I bought my xjs it had a shudder under braking that I assumed was rotors. I ordered rotors and pads and did the left side so far. There was still a lot of meat on the pads but the caliper was quite rusty. Last night while searching the Internet I found I could have gotten loaded calipers for not much more money Once I do the right and take it for a drive I'm hoping the shudder goes away and it wasn't a stuck piston. If it still shudders I'll get new calipers.
I also ordered cap, wires and plugs. The cap arrived package opened and cracked! I guess by the time I have the vee opened up the new one will be here. Should i order a vacuum advance while it's accessible or wait and test it once I'm in there? 66,222 miles on it unless it has been replaced already. My hope is to have a reliable ride for the summer and just do interior clean up and refinishing.
The minor things I have found were, luggage comp lights wire broken off switch. Drivers puddle light and speaker not working, found both disconnected?? The thing that might be the most work is a minor oil leak which I haven't isolated yet but it's low and forward, crank seal?
It's good to have a vehicle again that I am interested in working on.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by tikicat
When I bought my xjs it had a shudder under braking that I assumed was rotors. I ordered rotors and pads and did the left side so far. There was still a lot of meat on the pads but the caliper was quite rusty. Last night while searching the Internet I found I could have gotten loaded calipers for not much more money Once I do the right and take it for a drive I'm hoping the shudder goes away and it wasn't a stuck piston. If it still shudders I'll get new calipers.

I avoid 'loaded' calipers becuase I'm never really sure what pads I'll be getting. I'm afraid they'll be el-cheapos

Should i order a vacuum advance while it's accessible or wait and test it once I'm in there? 66,222 miles on it unless it has been replaced already.

50-50 toss up on that.

Make sure the mechanical advance isn't stuck, too. Common problem.

The thing that might be the most work is a minor oil leak which I haven't isolated yet but it's low and forward, crank seal?

Possibly, yes...but other possibilities as well, of course. Some harder to fix than others...which can make living with a minor leak a more palatable choice.

It's good to have a vehicle again that I am interested in working on.

XJSs are great cars. Worth the effort of sorting one out.

Cheers
DD