XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

89 xjs power antenna diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 89 xjs power antenna diagnosis

Hello all,

The power antenna in my xjs hasn't worked in many, many (23 or so) years. I went back there to tackle it, and found a couple things. The fuse was blown, and there was no relay present.

The car has an aftermarket radio circa 1990s, not sure when exactly it was put in or if this coincides with the antenna failure.

I got fuses and the proper relay, hooked them up, and this is what I found.

Across the black and purple wires to the relay from the car, antenna not plugged in, I have 12v. This is with key off and key on. This isn't correct, is it? Shouldn't it just have voltage with key on?

I can hear the relay clicking but I'm currently turning the key on and running back to the trunk, so I can't be sure what I'm looking for. Going to the relay plug I have a black, purple, white/orange and white/pink.

There are three prongs on the antenna motor. Black is ground I know, but which of the other pins should I put 12v to in order to test the motor? On the plug there are two grounds on one pin, one white/orange on a 2nd pin, and purple & purple/brown on a 3rd pin. Purple/brown comes from the inline fuse I assume, which means the antenna always has 12v but waits for a signal to actuate? Is that correct?

Separately, there is a red/blue wire with a female barrel connector and a black with a male barrel connector coming out of a hole right underneath where the antenna exits to the outside. These were unplugged. Should these be plugged together? I have no idea what they're for.

Thanks gents, it would be great to have the antenna working again!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

One RELAY wire MUST be earthed from the relay. It is probably the black wire (normal jaguar earth colour). Try earthing it. Also, if the aerial rises, then you turn the radio off, the relay should delay the aerial's descent by about 15 seconds. The radio feed to the relay is always live. The wires to the actual aerial motor should not be unless the relay is actuating the aerial.

I do not think the aerial needs an earth, but it does need two (feed and return) wires from the relay, get the relay working and then find out which way round the relay to aerial wires need to be the raise /lower it.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
314jjwalls (03-14-2017)