XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

94 XJS Rear Window Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile 94 XJS Rear Window Problem Solved

Kudos to Paul for pointing me in the right direction. Left quarter window would not go down with the top, problem being a faulty thermal switch, once I found it, thanks Paul. The diagrams and information results did not mirror my XJS. Reading past threads on the operation of lowering the top, my XJS operates by lifting the brake handle and pressing the top down switch. As the top goes down the rear windows go down and are totally lowered before the top is lowered and reverse, the top starts up, side windows go fully raised and the top comes to rest in the fully raised position. As problematic as these Beauties seem to sometimes be, they are well worth it. "GOTTA LOVE'EM" Would be remissed if I didn't mention the wonderful job the entire Forum Staff is doing. Thank you all and we appreciate the hard work you guys do for us.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Agreed. Forum staff are great

The following users liked this post:
Sea Cat (06-29-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Louis,

Glad to hear that you got the problem solved and that I was able to be of some small help. As a matter of interest, what was it that was different about your car compared to the diagram that I had pointed you in the direction of?

Paul

Sea Cat (06-29-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

My rear windows is still playing around. Where is this thermal cut out. Is it under the relay tray ? I can find the fuse but not the cutout. My car has the added rear seat and tne roof stuff was moved into the boot.

Sea Cat (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Louis,

Glad to hear that you got the problem solved and that I was able to be of some small help. As a matter of interest, what was it that was different about your car compared to the diagram that I had pointed you in the direction of?

Paul
Paul,

Seems as this had been worked on previously. The breakers were laying behind the tray and not attached.

Thanks again
Louis

Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d
My rear windows is still playing around. Where is this thermal cut out. Is it under the relay tray ? I can find the fuse but not the cutout. My car has the added rear seat and tne roof stuff was moved into the boot.
My relays were not attached. It appears that they(2) are mounted to the bottom of the tray under the 30 amp fuse. My breakers are black, thin and measure app. 1"x2" with 2 push on wire terminals. One operates the left window and the other the right.

malc4d (06-30-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 Jaguar 4.0 Convertible - Rear Window Thermal Switch

Hi guys,

I have the same problem as many, a stuck rear quarter window. I've checked the relays and nothing seems wrong, checked the fuses and all is good. Now a couple of posts have mentioned a thermal switch, where are these located? Looking at the wiring diagram I can see there's one for each quarter window. Is that right? I can see one on the rear tray below the relays, but not two together. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Mackay
Hi guys,

I have the same problem as many, a stuck rear quarter window. I've checked the relays and nothing seems wrong, checked the fuses and all is good. Now a couple of posts have mentioned a thermal switch, where are these located? Looking at the wiring diagram I can see there's one for each quarter window. Is that right? I can see one on the rear tray below the relays, but not two together. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul
Hello Paul,
As I stated, mine were removed from the tray, but it appears the two thermals are fastened to the tray back to back, meaning, there should be another thermal behind the one you are seeing. Another strange set up, tight area. Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my 1994 XJS 2+2 to the mechanic today regarding issues with the rear quarter windows and the top. He told me that there is no power to the top switch and that he had no idea how many shop hours it would take to track down the short. I thought i'd bring the car home and see if perhaps I could save a bit of cash by trying to locate the problem myself. It seems from looking at the wiring diagram and reading the posts that the thermal breakers might be a possible solution. Can anyone post a pic of what these look like? Should these test zero resistance across them like a fuse if they are working properly?

Thanks