XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'96 XJS right quarter window stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 XJS right quarter window stuck

Hi, I have a 1996 Jaguar XJS that has a right quarter window stuck in the up position. I looked at some other posts and tried swapping relays and even jumping 30 to 87 and nothing works. I assume I have yo to replace the motor. My problem is that I have no idea how to get to the motor. Are there some instructions somewhere? One thing I have read is that you have to get to the screw behind the stuck window but that seems impossible. Any tips? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

First of all, grab a long screwdriver, and if you can tap the motor housing, I'm pretty sure you'll clear it right up...for the time being. It will happen again.

To get to the motor itself, you're going to have to remove the interior trim panel at the back seat, you know, the one with the speaker in it. At that point, you'll have three T27 (if I recall that correctly) screws to remove and presto its out! Keep in mind that you have to figure out how to fish the motor out from behind the window regulator, but you'll figure it out.

You can check my threads for a topic on window motors, as I managed to get mine out, opened up and allegedly diagnosed. I haven't had a problem since, but I still keep a 24" flathead screwdriver in the trunk when it happens again.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
First of all, grab a long screwdriver, and if you can tap the motor housing, I'm pretty sure you'll clear it right up...for the time being. It will happen again.

To get to the motor itself, you're going to have to remove the interior trim panel at the back seat, you know, the one with the speaker in it. At that point, you'll have three T27 (if I recall that correctly) screws to remove and presto its out! Keep in mind that you have to figure out how to fish the motor out from behind the window regulator, but you'll figure it out.

You can check my threads for a topic on window motors, as I managed to get mine out, opened up and allegedly diagnosed. I haven't had a problem since, but I still keep a 24" flathead screwdriver in the trunk when it happens again.
I gave up yesterday but when I came back to the car to drive it, the window went down on its own. I assume that means the tapping will work (for how long I don't know). I did not realize I could tap the motor without taking the panel off. That will really come in handy.

I took the plastic screw off behind the window. The panel is loose now but I am not sure what else I need to do to get it out completely.

I looked at your thread with the pictures. I would like to do the same If the tapping doesn't last long. Thank you for the reply!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Good job taking that plastic screw out. I wouldn't know how to fix this issue of the quarter glass is stuck in the up position.

There are two plastic plugs along the edge that is closest to the door edge. You can't see them, but they can be pried out by slipping a flat tool in the gap between the edges. Then the tread plate holds down the corner at the bottom, but you just have to wiggle it out.

When you have that undone, just pull up. You may inadvertently disconnect the speaker.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 PM

Sounds good, I will try this if/when it acts up again. Thank you so much!

Old 07-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

In the meantime, you should learn where your motor is and carry a long screwdriver so you can fix it again when it happens, because it will.

Assuming the glass is stuck in the down position, you do not have to remove anything to get at it, but it will help to have the top down as well! (I'm assuming that's how you got there to begin with)