XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ABS Accumulators

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts
Default ABS Accumulators

Having recently researched replacement for my ABS accumulator ball, I thought I'd share some of that info with the forum.

Let's start with the bad news. The OEM part is no longer manufactured, and the prices have gone way up. The days of finding the AC Delco version on Amazon for US$70 is over.

For reference Jaguar JLM1907 is our OEM part number, but in reality it is a GM sourced part* that you could find with Delco part #25528382. It was also used on some Saabs using part #4002267.

*used on some Cadillacs and Buicks

If you find an unused JLM1907 etc. It will be a "new old stock" part, and there are reports of these units losing their charge sitting on the shelf. So if you buy one of these make sure you know any warranty or return possibilities so you don't risk $400 on something that doesn't solve your problem.

On eBay there are a couple of sellers selling replacements rather than OEM units. One claims his units are made in Germany and are a direct replacement at $280. This same seller claims that another seller is selling units that are actually Mitsubishi Montero accumulators that have be retooled to change the threads. The latter seller appears and disappears periodically from eBay and the last listing I saw had the units at $275. Given the pressures these operate, that should be taken into consideration on units with modified threads.

The solution I went with, and wanted to let the forum know exists, is there is a guy in Pennsylvania who offers a recharging service. I believe he is an Audi owner who started doing it for Audi ABS accumulators, but started getting contacted by Saab and Range Rover owners. Here is his website:

www.audibombs.com

If you go to the site, he describes what he does in recharging (not rebuilding) the units. When I contacted him, he didn't have any cores of our type of accumulator so I ended up having to remove mine and ship it to him.

My impression is this isn't really a business, he's just a car enthusiast who has the equipment and acumen to do this. I doubt he's getting rich doing it, and I did have to bug him a couple of times to get mine done.

The service is $88 including return shipping (I assume that is US only, you'd have to contact him for overseas). If anyone has cores, I'm sure he would appreciate getting them so he can offer an exchange service.

Cheers

The following 6 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
Doug (01-15-2017), Greencar89 (01-15-2017), Greg in France (01-16-2017), orangeblossom (01-15-2017), petemohr (01-15-2017), superchargedtr6 (07-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Mac Allan,

I might be wrong and will check tomorrow but I thought you could just go into a Jaguar Dealer and order a JLM1907 at about £175. I thought they were still available but will check.

Cheers

Paul

Old 01-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Mac Allan,

I might be wrong and will check tomorrow but I thought you could just go into a Jaguar Dealer and order a JLM1907 at about £175. I thought they were still available but will check.

Cheers

Paul

When I checked the US dealer list price for JLM1907 was US$614.90, and the best discounted one I could locate at a dealer was US$384 but it was out of stock at the time.

Cheers

Old 01-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
When I checked the US dealer list price for JLM1907 was US$614.90, and the best discounted one I could locate at a dealer was US$384 but it was out of stock at the time.

Cheers
It still comes up as available @ £177.23 fro jaguar.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxtor
It still comes up as available @ £177.23 fro jaguar.
If you can get them at that price, I would recommend picking one up and keeping it for when you need it. In the US, the prices are $400ish with shipping. I found several dealers who listed at lower prices, placed an online order only to have canceled because they didn't have stock.

When I called Jaguar North America, they told me the part is limited to stock on shelves because GM doesn't make it any more. Which is why prices have started to rise so dramatically.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/de...otor-und-pumpe

Part number 5... Still available...

Last edited by Daim; 01-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Mac Allan,

Just to remind you that there should be no additional shipping costs on buying from Jaguar in the US. One of the storage warehouses is in the US anyway, so availability can be quite quick. Jaguar definitely have some in stock, I just rang them. If you're not getting the correct responses from a dealer there, order it from Jaguar Classic Parts direct for delivery to your local dealer.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

I got mine a few months back from David Manners in the UK. IIRC it worked out slightly cheaper than direct from Jaguar.

It was the type with the large yellow warning ring painted on the top, which my original one doesn't have but many cars on the market seem to.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Mac Allan,

Just to remind you that there should be no additional shipping costs on buying from Jaguar in the US. One of the storage warehouses is in the US anyway, so availability can be quite quick. Jaguar definitely have some in stock, I just rang them. If you're not getting the correct responses from a dealer there, order it from Jaguar Classic Parts direct for delivery to your local dealer.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, but I think there might be some confusion in how the US market differs. If you go to the Jaguar Classic Parts website, you will notice that there is no "US" option. Additionally, this is a quote from the website:

Chose your delivery option: In the UK, France, Germany and Australia, you can pick up your order from your local Jaguar retailer (free of shipping costs), or you can have it delivered 'direct to your door' at extra cost.

According to the rep I spoke to at JLR North America, I had to order the part from a dealer, and dealers are free to set their own prices. I couldn't find a dealer who had them priced anywhere near the US equivalent of £175, and those that had them listed at lower prices had no stock.

I think it's great that those of you in the UK, France, Germany and Australia can still get the item at a more reasonable cost. I don't have an account set up on Jaguar Classic Parts so I don't have any idea how much additional they would charge to ship the part directly to the US.

That all said, doesn't change the fact that they are getting harder to find and prices are rising significantly (at least in the US), which was the entire point of letting the forum know that was an alternative to replacement.

Cheers

Old 01-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Mac Allan,

Tks for explaining that. If I can, I'll talk to my contact at Jaguar and ask him to explain why there is a poor arrangement with selling stock through dealers in what is their biggest market. It doesn't seem fair that the US should not have the same consistent pricing structure as other countries.

Cheers

Paul

Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Mac Allan,

Tks for explaining that. If I can, I'll talk to my contact at Jaguar and ask him to explain why there is a poor arrangement with selling stock through dealers in what is their biggest market. It doesn't seem fair that the US should not have the same consistent pricing structure as other countries.

Cheers

Paul
I'd appreciate that, because I've never understood why the US is excluded from the Jaguar Classic Spares website.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

It's not explicitly excluded. You can order form them and have it delivered to you, they just ship it from the UK and you have to pay the shipping.

I know in Canada you can't have it shipped to a dealer, but I thought you could in the US. Be aware that Jaguar UK and Jaguar USA have different parts available. For some of the older stuff it was available off the shelf in the UK, listed as NLA in Canada.