XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ABS Pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS Pump leaking

Hi
I am a long time browser but this I my first time posting.
I noticed that I had brake fluid leaking from the ABS pump in my 88 xjs and on closer inspection I found it to be coming from the hole where the retaining pin for the Plastic elbow on the low pressure side of the pump.
as anybody seen this before and is there an easy fix or does this mean a new pump?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

ozjett,

If you're lucky, this could just be the low pressure input connection. Check out OB's thread here where he describes that attachment:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...122634/page19/

Good luck

Paul

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by ozjett
Hi
I am a long time browser but this I my first time posting.
I noticed that I had brake fluid leaking from the ABS pump in my 88 xjs and on closer inspection I found it to be coming from the hole where the retaining pin for the Plastic elbow on the low pressure side of the pump.
as anybody seen this before and is there an easy fix or does this mean a new pump?

Thanks in advance.
Hi No need to Panic

All you need is a Square Cut 'O' Ring to replace the one that may need renewing, if its been in and out of the Pump a few times.

Do NOT pull that Plastic Elbow out though, or you will have Brake Fluid going everywhere, which may also start squirting out under pressure, in the event that you haven't first de-pressurized the System.

And do not get Brake Fluid on the Paintwork, or it will Strip it in a Nano Second.

Probably best to get a complete new elbow if you can find one, or otherwise a New 'O' Ring that must be Brake Fluid Proof.

That's the Square Cut 'O' Ring on the Plastic Elbow just by that Green Paint.
Do NOT pull the Elbow out, or you will have Brake Fluid going Everywhere and Keep it OFF the Paint or it will Strip it!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...122634/page19/

ptjs1 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 03:23 PM

Thanks Heaps guys
I will start the nerve shattering job of trying to remove the elbow on the weekend.

orangeblossom (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Heaps guys
I will start the nerve shattering job of trying to remove the elbow on the weekend.
Hi Ozjett

Hopefully you will be wondering what all the fuss was about, as if the 'O' ring has got worn, then the Plastic elbow might pull out easily.

Although it could go the other way and be an Absolute PIA to get out.

Its all about Not breaking that little Plastic Elbow, as if you do then trying to find another one won't be that easy.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:53 AM

Well I got the elbow out it was the number of pieces that is the problem
So I am now spending my time looking for a second hand that is not going to cost a arm and a leg.

orangeblossom (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

ozjett,

the elbow, clip and seal is Aus$ 48 from Jaguar. See here:
Brake Pipes-Front-Up To (V) 198334 - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts AU

Remember that you are going to have to bleed the LP side when refitting and you might have to then bleed the wheel circuits. Personally, I definitely would bleed the wheel circuits after doing the LP side.

Do make sure that you fully understand the system and how to bleed the LP and wheel circuits before starting! Plenty of good info on the forum how to do this.

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (11-30-2016), orangeblossom (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well I got the elbow out it was the number of pieces that is the problem
So I am now spending my time looking for a second hand that is not going to cost a arm and a leg.
Hi Ozjett

Oh Noooooo!

I'm really sorry to hear that but at least you can get another one 'at a price!'

The only consolation if there is one, is that I wasn't exaggerating what a PIA that 'Elbow' is to get out.

And just to Cheer you up even more, its just as hard to put back.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 AM

New part on order Thanks Paul

Interesting part of this is there was no O ring and the Base of the plastic elbow looks like it has been stuck in with some brown substance? maybe an earlier repair.

And orange blossom I plan on keeping your post on bleeding the plump very close when it comes time to put it back together.

Cheers
John

orangeblossom (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member

New part on order Thanks Paul

Interesting part of this is there was no O ring and the Base of the plastic elbow looks like it has been stuck in with some brown substance? maybe an earlier repair.

And orange blossom I plan on keeping your post on bleeding the plump very close when it comes time to put it back together.

Cheers
John
Hi John

I've done that job a few times now and it just doesn't get any easier, as it looks so simple what could possibly go wrong?

Unfortunately you just found out the hard way, so it really doesn't pay to let the Brake Fluid Reservoir ever run out of Fluid even when you're changing the Brake Fluid.

When you get your New Elbow, just put a smear of Brake Fluid round the 'O' ring with your finger just to give it a bit of lube before you put it in.

Its gravity fed from the Reservoir, so you have to reconnect it 'live' while the Brake Fluid is running (clear of bubbles) so best to put your finger over the end of it, while you get a 'Mate' to fill the Reservoir.

Then let some Brake Fluid flow into a Jar, just to make sure its running clear without any Air Bubbles (easy to do as its only got a short distance to travel down the tube)

Then when that Jar is out of the way so that it can't be knocked over, hold the Elbow close to the Pump inlet (with Rag packed round everywhere) let a little more fluid flow and then push it into the Pump (a slight twisting action might help)

Then replace the little locking pin. (And Breath a Sigh of Relief!)

Don't let any Brake Fluid get anywhere near the Paint or it will Strip it in an instant and pull any Brake Fluid soaked Rags out from underneath the Car, Not from over the Wing/Fender.

One drop on the Paintwork and it will be 'Game Over'

Good Luck but I'm sure that you will manage it ok.

AL

ptjs1 (12-03-2016)