XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alarm system on 1990

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alarm system on 1990

Hello,
I've this kind of remote but nothing is working. The problem is that I have when the ignition is switched off, I have blinking marker and rear lights. The result after while is of course a dead battery.

Any idea where to look?
Thx

Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Are you sure its a 1990, is it a facelift model as the remotes and keys look the same as my 1991 ?

look at post 12 for my instruction book

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrol-150123/

Old 01-11-2016, 03:02 PM

Thx for the documentation. VIN 174047, 5/90 convertible with a TWR kit and unknown wheels. The car is also having gold headlights and boot surrounds.

Your doc page 2 is mentioning a switch, I have the switch (on) but no led and no sounds.

Do you know where is the central module and the siren?

Thx

Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

On mine module is in the boot fixed to the right rear light near the antenna, siren front left wing behind the plastic stone guard

Last edited by malc4d; 01-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:35 AM

I've found some time to work on this issue and I have a few questions for you.

On the pictures below, you can see
1 - Switch behind the steering wheel hub.
2 & 3 - Man-in-the-middle connectors for I suppose side lamps and door locks.
4 - A fuse support, when plugged, the side lamps are blinking all the time once a sec.

1 & 2 Another connector.

Another one from the same loop.

A finally some relays 3-4-5 and another connector.

I've disconnected all the cables coming from this loop and I get a car starting normally.

Question: Where is going the loop because I can't see the alarm control system in the back !?

Better without all the cables. Does it look like a normal standard installation ? I don't have another close US 90 to compare.

Thx
Ya.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

My 89 XJRS had the CATS unit under one of the front seats, since removed.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Good morning.

Your photos and description taught me a LOT. Thank you so much! Damn those pictures are familiar. I was just into ALL of that yesterday...

On my 1990 Convertible all of the brains for the alarm are found (and undone) in the space behind the driver's seat (LHD) in the cavity between the 1/4 window and the rear cabinet... Nothing nice back there. I simply unplugged it and it solved my NO CONTROL of the alarm system problems. I would suggest unplugging (I think 2) ECUs one at a time and just making sure that yours will start with things undone. One is the brain, I think the second is a shock/sensitivity sensor(?)... You'll have to remove the LH covering/molding for the 1/4 window where the seat belt enters the cabin to get to things,,, then it's an angle up in there. The plastic boxes are screwed into the framing wall of the cabinet... Simple un-plug and leave.

I am looking for an alarm solution now. Door locks, trunk lock and lights alerting of status ONLY... If you have ANYTHING like a diagram you can post, well, it would be greatly appreciated... I have the elec-manual for the 1990 1991 Convertible,,,, bit somehow it doesn't mention the alarm system anywhere. Even where it comes into play with other systems. Not that I have seen, anyways.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 09-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 AM

Good morning,

Thank you for the feed-back. I'm fighting with this alarm system for a while.
Nothing under the seats Baxtor but I'll have a look behind the rear left panel.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Eureka,

The central unit is there, on the side of the cabinet. Now the question is how to reach them.

Can I remove this wood part ?

I've removed the cabinet and I've found that this yellow cable was disconnected !! ? On purpose ?

Last edited by yellowapple; 09-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Reach in and unplugg...then fugettaboutit...

Unless you have other plans. Honestly, recently, I have been wanting to see if it made SENSE to use the wiring there as a starting point for aftermarket jump in spot...

I don't know about yours,,, but my cabinet was much more fragile than it looked...

Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM

The cabinet was ok, this is not the first time I remove it, I've done a back seat conversion on a XJSC.
I can easily unplug them but in front I have a big bunch of flying cables. Not easy to hide !!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Wow! Literally... I had my mitts on all of that wiring just the other day and simply did not know what it was associated with... I would be very hesitant/nervous about eliminating any of it... With what I could, I would like to use it... I want to wire in an aftermarket system, as I was saying.

Do you have a diagram/schematic of the alarm electrical system? At you electrically savy,,, or are you winging it,,, deduction?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:56 AM

No this is the problem, I don't have the electrical diagram for this alarm system and I want to be sure before removing any of them. But all the cables on the passenger seat are coming from one single loop and all connectors were connected to specific system with male-female connectors. (Man-in-the middle in IT)
This is an isolated system but is it original for US market ? For your information, this system is not known in EU forums.
Finally with everything unplugged the car is starting properly, it was not the case before.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yellowapple
No this is the problem, I don't have the electrical diagram for this alarm system and I want to be sure before removing any of them. But all the cables on the passenger seat are coming from one single loop and all connectors were connected to specific system with male-female connectors. (Man-in-the middle in IT)
This is an isolated system but is it original for US market ? For your information, this system is not known in EU forums.
Finally with everything unplugged the car is starting properly, it was not the case before.
Hmm. Based on your experience and your willingness to be the test case, I'm tempted to just go ahead and remove all of the wiring in that "loop", as you have. At the same time, if it is infact nicely fit into door locks, lighting systems and etc,,, as the factory system would have been, I would be VERY interested in salvaging what I could to make installing a aftermarket system that much,,,, easier? Would it be,,, easier? Or would starting from scratch make the most sense?

Some how, some way I will need to have a set up so I can remotely lock and unlock doors,,, with a few other features that come with the gift of having a working security system. I need that damn schematic, lol...

Anyone???

Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM

My issue is now to remove this harness loom (Not loop) properly but If you want to install a new alarm system, you should keep all in-line connectors. They properly fits with the production line. I'll check also to find this schematic, do you have a reference on your central unit ?

Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm... I didn't look to closely for reliant info on my unit,,, but I'm a bone head. I will go and dig it up and see if that produces any direction at finding more info on the alarm wiring...

I guess Jaguar might just consider alarm info,,, top secret info. Ya know? Not published

Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Found this post, I have exactly the same unit but no diagram - Alarm system

For sale on EBay UK - Ebay

Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

So I've found this - and the search continues...

I spoke with a guy the works as a Jag mechanic today in Ontario, CN... He says the factory system was an accessory unit that cam out in 1990sumpthin... He says some folks went in with there older XJSs and the alarms NEVER worked right. He says don't bother with and to do what you did and to get rid of the components. Says a good alarm guy (who is not initially terrified) will delite with joy because the XJS is so easy to install an alarm in compared to today newer vehicles... Says it would be very difficult to find a schematic for the accessory alarm added by Jaguar and it wouldn't be worth it if one could be found with the idea of using the old wiring...

I'm off to find a work around.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 09-11-2019 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NTL1991 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Same feedback on different forums, now I get this … the back loom and the front one but going under and glued to the carpet... Mmhhh ?
I really don't want to cut the cable !!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

I had the same aftermarket system in my '92 XJ6. It was complete garbage. I did like how Jaguar thoughtfully made those T-harnesses to tap into the factory wiring. Completely reversible after you remove all the alarm junk. Mine had these somewhat clever "Cruise Systems Inc." labeled black boxes mounted under the dash to hide the backup battery and the shock sensor.

I installed a Viper Responder LE 2-way alarm system (with a separate adjustable shock sensor and a tilt sensor) and never looked back. My range is about half a mile and with the 2-way remote, I can send a "status request" to check if I forgot to lock the car up. I even wired an accessory output from the alarm to the "All Close" trigger on the XJ6, which simulates holding the key in the door lock, to close all windows and the sunroof. Very neat to have on the remote! The Responder LE is a Remote Starter & Alarm, but I've yet to get the Remote Starter portion working due to the low-voltage switching system on the XJ40. It would be very easy to get a pre-1993 XJS remote started with one though, as all the high-current wires you need are right at the ignition switch.

Nick

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (09-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Alarm system on 1990