XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Am I running rich, or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Am I running rich, or is this normal?

'85 HE with Lucas ign.

Car really runs beautifully. I don't want to go changing anything for fear it'll just run worse.

However, I THINK it may be running a little rich, can you tell me if what I'm seeing is normal:

- Very low power and bogging when cold (have gone through a great deal of troubleshooting on this issue with NO progress)
- Raw gas smell at startup. I do tend to turn the key on and let the fuel pump pressurize the system before starting. Fuel injector hoses confirmed NOT leaking
- Black specks all over my new paint on the back of the car. Sooty.

Some things I've done in the last year, not really to solve this but more because it's almost 30 years old:
- rebuilt dizzy, confirmed everything working
- rebuilt vac advance control system
- full tuneup, plugs, plug wires, cap&rotor, etc.
- Verified CTS, IATS, TPS working properly and adjusted TPS to spec
- set throttle plates and linkage as per the book
- rebuilt AAV (this still doesn't really work, but at least now it closes fully)
- replaced SAV
- rebuilt wiring harness to underhood sensors
- checked FPRs, at least as of this past winter no fuel inside

Can someone tell me exactly where to check timing and how to adjust it? Seriously, is the only way to check it by lying under the car and the only way to adjust it is by disassembling the dizzy and loosening the flathead screws that mount it? I haven't checked or adjusted timing yet because I can't believe they make it that hard and I figure that can't be the right way. Although, it is a Jaguar...

Is there any real way to check for a leaking injector? If I have a leaker it could be filling a cylinder with gas explaining the smell on startup, right?

Thanks,
D

Old 08-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Darel
Can someone tell me exactly where to check timing and how to adjust it? Seriously, is the only way to check it by lying under the car and the only way to adjust it is by disassembling the dizzy and loosening the flathead screws that mount it? I haven't checked or adjusted timing yet because I can't believe they make it that hard and I figure that can't be the right way. Although, it is a Jaguar...
Checking the static timing is a realy b****. As you say you need to be under the car and also rev it up to about 3000 rpm. Also ensure you disconnect the vacuum advance first.

Procedure in 'the Book' is the best way forward...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 08-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Dammit.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Darel
- Raw gas smell at startup. I do tend to turn the key on and let the fuel pump pressurize the system before starting. Fuel injector hoses confirmed NOT leaking

What about the feed and return hoses? Raw gasoline odor suggests a leak "somewhere" or severe over-fueling

- Black specks all over my new paint on the back of the car. Sooty.

Pull a couple spark plugs and see how they look. That would be a more reliable indicator

- checked FPRs, at least as of this past winter no fuel inside

Good that they're not leaking but that doesn't mean that they're controlling fuel pressure properly. Over-pressure will cause over-fueling. A fuel pressure test might be in your future

Can someone tell me exactly where to check timing and how to adjust it? Seriously, is the only way to check it by lying under the car

Yes.

Not all that bad. Drive it up on some ramps, have a helper hold it at 3000 rpm, crawl under and check timing. If no helper available you can jury-rig the throttle open using some wire or other MacGuyver-ish method.

and the only way to adjust it is by disassembling the dizzy and loosening the flathead screws that mount it?

No!

I haven't checked or adjusted timing yet because I can't believe they make it that hard

They didn't :-)

and I figure that can't be the right way. Although, it is a Jaguar...

There's an adjuster on the side of the distributor body. It's been years but as I recall it's towards the front. If you were standing at the right fender looking at the distributor the adjuster would be at about 1:00 o'clock.

Is there any real way to check for a leaking injector? If I have a leaker it could be filling a cylinder with gas explaining the smell on startup, right?

Thanks,
D

You'll need to attach a fuel pressure gauge (a PITA), pressurize the rail, and then clamp off the supply hose. If the pressure drops, you have leaky injectors.

Or pull up the entire fuel rail intact and then pressurize the fuel rail and see if any of the nozzles are dripping

Cheers
DD

Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Thanks Doug!