XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Another 89XJS failing to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Another 89XJS failing to start

Well, if it's turning over, then the basics are down pact. Now it's one of two things, either fuel, or spark. I would check spark first, since it's easier than fuel. If neither of those is the culprit, I would check compression, although it if it was running perfectly fine last week it's not likely that it's blown. Engines tend to give signs of death. Not too familiar with these beasts, but a car is a car, just my 2 cents.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have the Lucas or Marrelli ignition system? 1989 was a split year for this.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigdreams05 is right on track with this... Check the spark and then the fuel.

Checking the spark... Assuming that you have plug wires... I'm not familiar because I haven't had the luxury of owning a V12 .

First, check the plugs... If they are terribly fouled, replace and try to start. If they are ok, then continue on... The correct way is to get a spark testing tool which is about $10 at the parts store. It plugs into the plug wire just like a spark plug and has an area in it that will show you the spark. If you don't want to get one though, you can go the cheap way and use a screwdriver. Pull one plug wire and put the end of the screwdriver into it, making sure that the end of the screwdriver touches the metal. Rest the screwdriver on the motor or frame, making sure that the shaft of the screwdriver is near metal... 1/2" or so is fine - if you just place it on a metal peice, that will work. DON'T HOLD THE SCREWDRIVER!!!! Have someone try to start the car and see if a spark jumps from the screwdriver to the metal. Repeat for each cylinder. If you don't have spark, then first try to replace the wires. If that doesn't work, then troubleshoot the ignition.

Checking the fuel...

Simply hearing the fuel pump pressurize when you turn the key isn't enough. Fuel pumps have a tendency to still work, but not at a high enough pressure. They kind of "half way" work. So you will still hear it activate, but it wont be pushing enough pressure to supply the fuel needed. The best way to test it is to get a fuel pressure testing guage (probably about $30 from a parts store). Usually, I am all for taking the cheap route, but this is an invaluable tool that you will use a ton of times if you work on your own cars. Buy the tool. Hook it up to the schrader valve on the fuel line and turn the key to the on position. Compare the pressure to the car's specifications. If it is low, replace the pump. The cheap test if you don't want to buy the guage is to pull the plugs and pour a tiny bit of gas into each cylinder. Replace the plugs and try to turn it over. It wont start, but it will sound like it's about to. Basically what you are doing is putting a small amount of gas in the plugs to simulate the pump supplying the fuel. The gas burns off right away, so it wont start... but if all it was doing was cranking before and now after you did this it stumbles like it is about to start, fuel pressure is your problem. I would suggest buying the guage though... This isn't the safest test. lol.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine was the day before, so in tribute, I will have one with you.