XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Basket case working on a basket case

Old 12-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Basket case working on a basket case

Hello everyone,
I hope you all are enjoying your holiday
I am, I am working on my 1988 v12 HE and have a few problems I was hoping someone can help me with. First of all I am a go-to-it kind of guy and me and my father went to it. We have replaced motors in the drivers front window and remanufactured the rear rt by JB welding the plastic gear to the plastic gear-works nice. had to tear a lot apart to get to it though. We took the seats out and swapped out some bases we found at the junkyard and we are putting on a new top.

!st problem we rebuilt the windshield wipers and I pulled the round bottomed Lucas relay out and don't know which wires go where. I bought a manual on ebay and it is 1596 pages of eye twisting nonsense to figure out We have a wiper switch we got from the junkyard that seems in good shape. The one we took off only had 2 positions I think they were trying to get just an on/off mechanism. Also how can I determine if this relay is faulty?

2nd problem windows and top as well as fuel empty light quit. Any ideas?

3rd problem My so called gas gauge isn't working it has 2 tank system. Help!
Thanks and I will post pics and more once I make it presentable.
Cheers!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

1. The check the relay, check to see if there is resistance, unpowered one side should have no resistance and the other should have no continuity. After powering the relay (just grab some speaker wire and hot wire to the battery) the other side should no have no resistance. im not sure which relay you mean without looking in the car, the diagram shows several. What color are the wires you are working with?

2. Can you rephrase? I am not sure if you mean all the indicator lights for those things do not work, or if the fuel empty light doesn't work, the top doesn't function, and neither do you windows

3. First check the ground at the sender unit. i believe the dual tank uses the same sender as the single tank in the coupe, sometimes they are bad, sometimes the floats are bad, the ground can be crappy, and the connections at the instrument cluster are often dirty.

Do you know about how much should be in it? resistance from the sender ranges from about 20-200

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
1. The check the relay, check to see if there is resistance, unpowered one side should have no resistance and the other should have no continuity. After powering the relay (just grab some speaker wire and hot wire to the battery) the other side should no have no resistance. im not sure which relay you mean without looking in the car, the diagram shows several. What color are the wires you are working with?

2. Can you rephrase? I am not sure if you mean all the indicator lights for those things do not work, or if the fuel empty light doesn't work, the top doesn't function, and neither do you windows

3. First check the ground at the sender unit. i believe the dual tank uses the same sender as the single tank in the coupe, sometimes they are bad, sometimes the floats are bad, the ground can be crappy, and the connections at the instrument cluster are often dirty.

Do you know about how much should be in it? resistance from the sender ranges from about 20-200
Thanks for the advise. I got the top and windows working again. Also revived the windscreen wipers. No park, but am happy with what I have Is the motor casing supposed to be energized? I kept blowing fuses and found that grounding to metal was the culprit, even the washers on the blades. Why? That seems insane! Anyways, still working on the fuel gauge and will update. Again. Thanks!