XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

First post

Old 12-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First post

Been lurking since I bought my first Jag in August. 1995 AJ16 with 9,600 miles. Have the service records and even the original window sticker. The elusive little old lady from Pasadena car. Spent some time on brakes and general maintenance. Put 3,000 miles on it in the last few months and it just keeps running better all the time.

Sorted through it with the help of this forum but couldn't find how to take out the headlight bucket. There is condensation and I want to pull it out and clean and seal it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Some pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by pmarcian:
Flint Ironstag (12-31-2014), Forcedair1 (01-03-2015)
Old 12-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I have the same headlights in my 89, with exception of having headlight wipers. You first have to remove the headlight bezel. Not too big a deal, but they can be slightly brittle from age. Once you get the bezel off, you simply release the entire headlight via three clips. They simply press away from the headlight, and the headlight will come out.

From what I understand however, is that these clips may no longer be available. One of mine partially broke, but I was able to get the headlight to stay in.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Congratulations, that is a beautiful car!!

Before I got new headlamps for my 95 I opened the old ones up and cleaned them as best as I could. I am surprised yours need any attention with that low mileage...

I see you are in Houston as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

First you remove the headlight bezel with a Philips bit. The screws should be visible. I believe there are three screws? On on the outer side, onE on the top and I don't really a where the third screw is.

There are 5 torx screws holding the headlight fixture in. You have to get an extension bit into the space between the headlight and the body. Get a flashlight.

If you have water inside, you'll have to replace the headlight. There's no way to open it up, other than by removing the bulb from behind?

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

lovely car !

had water in my wife's van head light....

took it off the van and just used her hair drier to get the moisture out. then placed it back on the car with a new bulb making sure the new bulbs gasket was good...

Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Must be different than my 89 with those headlights. The only way to change the bulb is to remove the entire fixture, and the bulb goes in the rear. No torx screws.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
Must be different than my 89 with those headlights. The only way to change the bulb is to remove the entire fixture, and the bulb goes in the rear. No torx screws.
facelifts have an access panel in the wheel well to change the blubs...

you could remove the front wheel and open the panel remove the bulb/bulbs
(I would remove both) and see if you can get a hair drier in there it might take some time...

or

if this is not your daily driver....
get a nylon stocking and fill it with rice....
not too much as it will swell....
take out the bulb and put the rice filled stocking in the fixture...

wait and repeat as necessary...

make sure your next bub gasket is good....

I also looked at the design of the minivan lights and added a 1/16 drain hole in the front bottom lens...

worked great
just replace them with new as they are so cheap on the internet...

Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,902 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Do you eat the rice afterwards?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I eventually bought new lights for mine, but had actually opened up the old lights prior because I wanted to clean them up. You either put them in the oven until the seal melts enough to take the lens apart (plenty of tutorials on YouTube) or, what I did, is use very hot tap water around the seal for a while until it came apart. I re sealed with silicone and was able to reuse the clips.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Congrats! What a strikingly beautiful XJS. It looks like new and it makes me wish I had the room (and the $$) to get me some two or three more of various types (coupe, V12, low miles, etc.)
Enjoy it!

Cheers