XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Belts question... ribbed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Belts question... ribbed?

I got all the belts off my 88' today... lots of swear words found the air! At one point went and bought a set of open ended wrenches that "ratchet". I highly recommend not buying those from menardes. I still might try a craftsman set. These pieces of crap are going back. Anyway, I opened up the boxes I got for my belts and noticed they are all ribbed... the ones I took off only had one that was ribbed(I have no idea if the alternator belt was or not as it was MIA)... does this matter? Are they the correct belts? The ribbed fan belt is the same as the one I bought. Thanks

Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Nope.

Fit and enjoy.

Technology is a wonderful thing at times.

The "theory" is that the ribbed internal section allows the belt to flex around the smaller pulleys better?, runs quieter?, runs cooler????.

Had them downunder for a very long time, never had issues with them.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Nope.

Fit and enjoy.

Technology is a wonderful thing at times.

The "theory" is that the ribbed internal section allows the belt to flex around the smaller pulleys better?, runs quieter?, runs cooler????.

Had them downunder for a very long time, never had issues with them.
Ok, awesome thanks! I figured they were just a newer way of making belts, just wanted to make sure. Seems like they would have better flex.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

After seeing something weird a few years ago, I think the "teeth" (ribs) are actually there to cut costs. A few years ago I was helping a friend replace his waterpump. The waterpump wasn't part of the cambeltsetup but needed a toothed belt to work properly. Don't ask me what car it was but they fanbelt costed more than my belts... The crankpulley had teeth, the waterpump had teeth, the tensioner had none...

Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
After seeing something weird a few years ago, I think the "teeth" (ribs) are actually there to cut costs. A few years ago I was helping a friend replace his waterpump. The waterpump wasn't part of the cambeltsetup but needed a toothed belt to work properly. Don't ask me what car it was but they fanbelt costed more than my belts... The crankpulley had teeth, the waterpump had teeth, the tensioner had none...
Daim
Are you talking about a toothed belt, such as are used for cam chain drives, or of the fan belts that have teeth-like indentations?
Greg

Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, that nomenclature thing.

1. Ancient tech. flat belts. My first car, a 23 T Ford was so equipped.
2. Old tech. smooth V belts.
3. Newer tech: As Grant describes. Tooth like indentations.
4. Newest tech: ribbed. Highs and lows along the long axis. Seen in Serpentine applications.
5. Other uses. Cogged. Precise teeth on the belt to match the drive and driven pulleys. In automobiles, cam timing.
6. My son found them in the drives of the CNC mills he has modernized for procucing his goods.

Yahoo, the last of six spark plugs in my daughter's soon to be gone Passat seated with my use of my DIY tool. Now, merely apply the last tug with a socket and my extra deep thin wall socket. One or mebbe two more hours and it is outta here!!!

Carl

Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Daim
Are you talking about a toothed belt, such as are used for cam chain drives, or of the fan belts that have teeth-like indentations?
Greg
A hybrid.

A fanbelt with teeth...

Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

944xjs,

I find it interesting that some of your belts were smooth and some ribbed. How many miles on your xjs? Do you think somebody already replaced some (or all) of the belts on your car previously?

I recently replaced all belts on my '86 and they were all ribbed (with teeth). The ones I removed seemed like been there from beginning of times.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by v1rok
944xjs,

I find it interesting that some of your belts were smooth and some ribbed. How many miles on your xjs? Do you think somebody already replaced some (or all) of the belts on your car previously?

I recently replaced all belts on my '86 and they were all ribbed (with teeth). The ones I removed seemed like been there from beginning of times.
i think the fan belt was replaced recently... which is the furthest out and the rest were jag belts. Car has 38k miles and sat for like 10 years. I think once it was started and driven the alternator belt snapped off cause it's gone.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 AM

How in the hell did jag assemblers adjust the tension of all the belts in a timely matter?! Did they sit there for 4 hours adjusting the nuts an 8th of a turn at a time too? 😡

Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 AM

NAH.

They had apprentices back then, and they got ALL the good jobs.

Really, it was all done before the engine went in the car.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I replaced a serpentine belt on my daughters Kia which is a Rover engine about 3 weeks ago and thinking of what Daim said I wondered wether it could be the same ,water pump and tensioner run on the back of the belt .

Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Aye, that is classic serpentine. The path is "serpentine". Makes use of the inner surface and the outer to drive the "loads". Very impressive engineering.

My venerable Jeep and the LT1 SBC in my Jaguar are of the same vintage, 1994.
Each performs better than a classic multi belted "V" belt array.

And, tech advise is that, even if the Serpentine appears "battered" it will continue to serve. V's in similar circumstance are "done for".

Caveat: I did have trouble with the idler on the LT1, in relieving the tension, allowing
restringing after a PS pump replacement. The instructions in the factor manual seemed clear, but they did not work !! I overcame the tension and all has been well.

Great tech in my view.

Carl

Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
NAH.

They had apprentices back then, and they got ALL the good jobs.

Really, it was all done before the engine went in the car.
ha, at times I think it might be faster to rip the engine out to spin the tensioners.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I have used both and they are fine.

I don't know any open ended ratcheting wrenches to work. The angle in which you can tension any given adjuster is such that the ratchet fails to get to the next tooth. You have to do the pain staking flat by flat, wrench flipping, bs.

I'm almost to where I am going to cut most of the tensioners short so a deep well can be used at least on the end. I think the worst is the power steering but for some reason i especially despise the alternator.

Isn't the book time like 0.2 hours for all the belts?

Old 04-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I have used both and they are fine.

I don't know any open ended ratcheting wrenches to work. The angle in which you can tension any given adjuster is such that the ratchet fails to get to the next tooth. You have to do the pain staking flat by flat, wrench flipping, bs.

I'm almost to where I am going to cut most of the tensioners short so a deep well can be used at least on the end. I think the worst is the power steering but for some reason i especially despise the alternator.

Isn't the book time like 0.2 hours for all the belts?
yeah the wrench flipping seems to be the only way. I bought some more ratcheting wrenches to try and see if it would work. More than likely won't.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 PM

When it rains it pours... I found the alternator belt. It's nicely wrapped around the crank pulley assembly on the inside. I can't even see which direction it's wrapped or anything. Just have half the belt hanging and I cannot get it out. I think I'm going to have to take the crank assembly off. Haha what a nightmare.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM

Got it out. It was just crammed in there so good. Took everything I had to get it

Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Haha and now it is raining... I feel like I'm in Britain let's test the Lucas's water resistance

Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 944xjs
ha, at times I think it might be faster to rip the engine out to spin the tensioners.
It can be at times.

Its not that hard.

Mine had starter issues, oil filter housing leaking oil, sandwich plate weeping, engine OUT, did it all, belts, hoses, etc etc. Snowballed as they do, but very satifying.

The Efans made belt changing later on easy as any other car. Only 3 belts, and much more room.

RHD starter is near impossible to get out without lowering the suspension cradle, hahahaha.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-10-2017 at 08:29 PM.