XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Blower motor resistor failure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Blower motor resistor failure.

Hi,

About six months ago my drivers side blower motor decided to stay full on even with the key removed. Removed the fuse to stop it.

I'm assuming the electric components on the motor board has simply corroded away (as the symptoms match what I've seen and read).

Can any owners share with me the parts required to repair the motor?

I did come across a good article on one website but it didn't really list a shopping list of parts.

The next challenge is removing the thing! lol

If anyone knows of a good thread on here that details removal that would be very useful as well.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Last edited by Andrew Harper; 11-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

You didn't mention what kind of car or climate control system you have. If you have a Mk III climate control this might help:

Air conditioning blower control

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Andrew Harper (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
You didn't mention what kind of car or climate control system you have. If you have a Mk III climate control this might help:

Air conditioning blower control

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug, to be honest my friend I don't know.

It was one of the very last XJS Celebrations made.

I am aware of the different versions in the cars though and I understand your point.

It's part # CCC7522 if that helps.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/CCC7522

Unfortunately the weather here is appalling at the moment and I have to kind of work on the car in the road as I don't have a garage, so just trying to plan ahead a little.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There isn't a resistor pack, as it's a stepless system. That's a symptom of the Darlington transistor failing. It's exactly as the link Doug provided.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's fairly straightforward to replace the transistor with a new one for not much money. I think I had mine out of the car, replaced all the electronic components and back in the car in an evening.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I am going through repairing my drivers side (RHD car) blower now.

As JB siad there is a Darlington transistor 2 diodes and a resistor, there is also a full speed relay.

I took some pics as I went along to do a writeup on how to remove and repair, I'll post this up in the thread I started on repairing the HVAC blower.

Getting the blower out is a right PITA, you need to remove the instrument cluster, RH air vent and loosen the dash mounting bolts to get the air duct out as one of the top nuts for the fuse /relay holder is behind the AC duct.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
There isn't a resistor pack, as it's a stepless system. That's a symptom of the Darlington transistor failing. It's exactly as the link Doug provided.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's fairly straightforward to replace the transistor with a new one for not much money. I think I had mine out of the car, replaced all the electronic components and back in the car in an evening.
Ok, thanks for that. Changed the description slightly in the first post as I admit it was slightly misleading (i've been working at home all day and the brain is a bit frazzled! haha).

However I've done these sorts of jobs before so there shouldn't be any issues. Like you say the biggest job is just getting the thing out from behind the dashboard.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
I am going through repairing my drivers side (RHD car) blower now.

As JB siad there is a Darlington transistor 2 diodes and a resistor, there is also a full speed relay.

I took some pics as I went along to do a writeup on how to remove and repair, I'll post this up in the thread I started on repairing the HVAC blower.

Getting the blower out is a right PITA, you need to remove the instrument cluster, RH air vent and loosen the dash mounting bolts to get the air duct out as one of the top nuts for the fuse /relay holder is behind the AC duct.
Thanks my friend. Some pictures would be helpful.

Yes it would be the right hand side wouldn't it! haha. I understand the other side isn't nearly as bad.

I'm trying to sort a few other problems at the moment so by the time I get round to doing this job maybe your useful writeup will be on here.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blue relay

I am in the process of changing my drivers side out now. My original fan motor box seems to have what looks like a blue relay in it. The rebuilt one does not.
Is this the wrong replacement? I have hooked it up and the high speed works on both but not the low and medium fan speeds.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The blue relay is the high speed relay, this bypasses the transistor. Does the new one have the relay socket, if so just swap the relay to the new blower.

The failure in mine was the small guide that provides feedback to the ECM. When I get home tonight I'll post the pics I have and the HVAC fault finding paper.