XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?

Hey there,

Brain fart because I'll never be able to do this, but considering that the V12 is a guzzler and that you can still pick up some XJ-S for rather low 4 digit numbers, and since there nas been so many built, I was wondering if an eletric XJ-S would be a way to have fun? I'm sure it would

So, what would be required to do it? I'm no technician bit it would probably be an easier conversion than making a 5.3l V12 go faster...

- Batteries
- Motor
- Controls

That is basically everything required... With large eletric motors now readily available, for example from locomotives (or trams, smaller trams have smaller motors with loads of torque and pullong power), you could probably build a great torque monster... Chuck all the batteries in the trunk/boot, somehow wire it up and you'd be in for a blast... At least in my thoughts

Anyone else had these ideas before? Or am I alone?

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (09-10-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Hey there,

Brain fart because I'll never be able to do this, but considering that the V12 is a guzzler and that you can still pick up some XJ-S for rather low 4 digit numbers, and since there nas been so many built, I was wondering if an eletric XJ-S would be a way to have fun? I'm sure it would

So, what would be required to do it? I'm no technician bit it would probably be an easier conversion than making a 5.3l V12 go faster...

- Batteries
- Motor
- Controls

That is basically everything required... With large eletric motors now readily available, for example from locomotives (or trams, smaller trams have smaller motors with loads of torque and pullong power), you could probably build a great torque monster... Chuck all the batteries in the trunk/boot, somehow wire it up and you'd be in for a blast... At least in my thoughts

Anyone else had these ideas before? Or am I alone?

DIAM ; google Electric Mustang, Zombie 222,, that car is 1/2 mile from wher i live!

went for a short ride , 0-60mph in 2.34 seconds,, since then new grip tires, and some small computer mods , maybe world record 1.94 seconds 0-60MPH
, i see him at car shows locally, Sandeez hamburger Hut Austin tx.

he keeps all track timing slips case some dont believe it!

he also set a top speed standing mile , of 174mph, using highest rear gear ratio made for his final drive, and 2(two) overdrive units installed,30% each!

motors run out of RPM, but torque at stand still 1800 lbs ft, so you gear it for your needs.

Attached Thumbnails Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?-electric-mustang-001.jpg   Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?-electric-mustang-002.jpg   Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?-electric-mustang-003.jpg   Brain fart: electric XJ-S monster?-electric-mustang-013.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 09-06-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I did a little research while waiting on my motorless XJS to arrive from California. The Zombie Mustang is inspirational, and they have started a conversion business - they'd be happy to do the same for your classic muscle car for about $200k.

But there are a lot of resources for DIY folks. An electric motor (or two) will cost $3-6k. The batteries another $5k+, the controller, a few $k, a couple $k for the transmission.

Some of the issues that arise:
- AC or DC motor.
- How much reserve capacity? What's your range goal?
- Transmissions are usually manual 2, 3, or 4-speed. Lots of options on how to connect them, usually not easy. It drives differently than an ICE car, e.g. you can drive around town all day in one gear, because the electric motor basically revs from 1-10000 rpm with tons of torque.
- Auto transmissions are possible, but still new. Some use a Powerglide.

Lots of other issues: battery weight, warranties, shocking yourself to death, things like that.

Here are some sites I browsed:
DIY Electric Car Forums - Electric Vehicle Build and Conversion Community
EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

In the end, I'm sticking with my LS1 conversion, because I know the motor. But it's still fun to think about the possibilities.

Padre

ronbros (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM

BTW, I drove a Chevy Volt for a year (lease). Absolutely brilliant car. Great for around town daily, but also good for long trips.

And that's a must have for me if I were ever to go EV on an old Jaguar: a range extender. The Volt has an ICE motor that charges the batteries on the fly. The ICE does not drive the wheels, like a hybrid, but keeps the batteries topped up so the electric motor powers the car.

Practically, what this meant was 300+ mile effective range, and just fill up and keep driving if you need to. Overall MPG on long trips was about 35mpg.

There's a company developing a range extender, which the DIY market may be able to us:
EVDrive » EVDrive-Train? Architecture Configured for Series PHEV Powertrain sized for the BMW e46 Conversion Technology Testbed

In the end, I traded the Volt lease because I found my '07 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe (for about $10k), which is a completely briliant car that still gets 32mpg on the highway. The Volt had the torque for quick driving around town, but the Z4 is just another class of driving.

So anyway, given my propensities, I naturally had to drag race the Volt.

Padre

Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I saw that Mustang on A Velocity show recently, an absolute monster of a car. Very impressive.

ronbros (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Sadly I think the weight of the XJS makes it a very poor candidate. Same reason I wouldn't use one for drag racing. These cars are tanks. Nice. But tanks

Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

As said, I'll never be able to do thos, but would love to see someone else do it!

Juat looked up the proce for a 1200 KW motor from a diesslelectric locomotive... A mere £4000... Torque figures are 4 digits... Would probably just snap the axle in two

Old 09-07-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BC XJS
Sadly I think the weight of the XJS makes it a very poor candidate. Same reason I wouldn't use one for drag racing. These cars are tanks. Nice. But tanks
That's why my Z4 is a better candidate. If the motor ever goes (it has 125k+ miles), I'd consider doing it just for the fun of it.

Padre

Old 09-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

On another forum, a Canadian guy came to CA and bought an XJS convertible lumped with an L98 TPI engine. He used it as a family car and did some drag strip time. smokey burnouts looked slick.
But, sold it looking for a better chassis for a hot LS1.

Makes his bones doing really nice exhaust work, much on exotic cars. Of course, the Jaguar enjoyed his expertise.

Oh, any idea as to just how big a motor is that powers electric locomotives!!!!

One way to get power by volts is two fork lift motors, in tandem.

Padre; I wonder how the leasee would react to the Volt on the drag strip??

In about 58, I tried two cars on the old strip at Holtville, Ca.
A. Wifey's somewhat scruffy 41 Cadillac convertible. Hydromatic and flat head V8.
B. The T speedster I built from discarded parts.

Neither set any record????

One really slick car there was the Tucson Speed Sport Special.
27 T roadster body. Rear mounted early Chrysler Hemi. 8 flex pipes for exhaust, one per cylinder. it screamed....

Carl

Carl

Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

The motor I was looking at is about the same length and width as the I6 (3.6/4.0l) so rather compact. The dieselengine is a lot bigger

Or from a tram...They aren't as powerful (hp) but have high acceleration capabilities...

Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Padre; I wonder how the leasee would react to the Volt on the drag strip??
Carl
Oh, my dealer worked on my 720rwhp Camaro. Everyone at the dealership loved it and bragged on it, especially the guys in back. When working on it, they'd park it out front so they could crank it up for kids and potential buyers.

I raced the Volt while the Camaro was in their shop, and told them all about it. They got a kick out of it.

Of course, I doubt they told GMAC.

Padre

Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Padre
I did a little research while waiting on my motorless XJS to arrive from California. The Zombie Mustang is inspirational, and they have started a conversion business - they'd be happy to do the same for your classic muscle car for about $200k.

But there are a lot of resources for DIY folks. An electric motor (or two) will cost $3-6k. The batteries another $5k+, the controller, a few $k, a couple $k for the transmission.

Some of the issues that arise:
- AC or DC motor.
- How much reserve capacity? What's your range goal?
- Transmissions are usually manual 2, 3, or 4-speed. Lots of options on how to connect them, usually not easy. It drives differently than an ICE car, e.g. you can drive around town all day in one gear, because the electric motor basically revs from 1-10000 rpm with tons of torque.
- Auto transmissions are possible, but still new. Some use a Powerglide.

Lots of other issues: battery weight, warranties, shocking yourself to death, things like that.

Here are some sites I browsed:
DIY Electric Car Forums - Electric Vehicle Build and Conversion Community
EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

In the end, I'm sticking with my LS1 conversion, because I know the motor. But it's still fun to think about the possibilities.

Padre

padre, i have spoken with the mustang guy( Mitch Medford), i'm quite sure he can convert an XJS for around $100K (not $200K), lets not forget , he has much experience with electric cars, if you had it done it would be well sorted
and save DIY guys a lot of headaches!

he is right now doing a 1963 Lincoln 4dr hardtop, complete motors and drive train + plus all the electrics!

car owner said big old Lincoln barge 5200 lbs, was to slow driving around town, needed more TORQUE. 1800ft lbs should get it done!!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

some info electric mustang,, he does NOT use any transmission at all,NO clutch either, its direct drive from elec. motor shaft to the drive shaft into the rear end, thats for the 0-60 runs!

for top speed he adds 2 two gear vendor overdrive units, he can change it over in hour or so!

he is going to add a third overdrive for maybe 200 mph(TEXAS MILE).

actually the DC motors peak rpm is around 3500 rpm, its the torque that has to be managed properly!

Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Gents, a time will come when electric motors, batteries, and vehicle control systems are advanced and affordable enough that the following will happen:

A new industry springs up - retrofitting classic vehicles with modern powertrains & safety systems. Imagine the following. You bring your 80s XJ-S V12 to Jimmy's Hot Rod Shop and choose from the following menu of upgrades:

- xmegawatt battery for maximum cruise range
- xhorsepower electric motor per wheel
- regenerative braking / charging system
- efficient 3 cylinder turbo diesel replaces the V12 to supplement electric motors

Apply this to any car with classic design that you want to keep on the road with a modern drivetrain and undoubtedly improved performance and reliability.

It's gonna happen.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

I doubt you'll even need an ICE im future. Modernnbattery technology and charging has come a good way but will go a lot further yet!

Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Gents, a time will come when electric motors, batteries, and vehicle control systems are advanced and affordable enough that the following will happen:

A new industry springs up - retrofitting classic vehicles with modern powertrains & safety systems. Imagine the following. You bring your 80s XJ-S V12 to Jimmy's Hot Rod Shop and choose from the following menu of upgrades:

- xmegawatt battery for maximum cruise range
- xhorsepower electric motor per wheel
- regenerative braking / charging system
- efficient 3 cylinder turbo diesel replaces the V12 to supplement electric motors

Apply this to any car with classic design that you want to keep on the road with a modern drivetrain and undoubtedly improved performance and reliability.

It's gonna happen.

its already here ,there are two shops around here, there is one just 1/2 mile from me, and another about 20 miles, specializing in full Electric converssions!

i also know a guy back in Florida that does ICE and electric boost motors!

but you tube says its a world wide phenominom business, 1000s showing up!