XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front hub: seals, bearings, ABS rotor

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Smile Front hub: seals, bearings, ABS rotor

Bonjour!

I've got a couple of questions regarding the front hubs... I've done many bearings and co before, but they were all pressed in... A sealed unit, pressed into the hub and done... The XJ-S with "separate" bearings which can be changed individually is something new so excuse the possible weird questions.

Firstly:
as I took my hubs off, I had two bearings - that is normal of course. The smaller outer bearing and the larger inner bearing. Is it normal, that the rollers of the bearings run against the hub or is there maybe a ring in the hub which they press against?

Secondly:
the rear seal of the hub is a rubber seal - obviously. Is it just a rubber seal with no metal ring in it or is there a metal ring (like a crank seal etc.) in it as well? I removed my seals in order to get all "nasty" parts off and find it a little weird, that there are two metal rings on the stubs (see picture below)

Thirdly and lastly:
as I noted in the "what did you ..." thread, one of the rotors for the ABS system has cracked and can't be used anymore. So I need to purchase a new one. How are they fitted? Are they pressed on or done via heat (heat in oven and then carefully push it in place)?

Cheers for your help guys!

Damien

Old 09-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Firstly:
Is it normal, that the rollers of the bearings run against the hub or is there maybe a ring in the hub which they press against?
The bearing rollers ride against a "race". The inner race is part of the bearing itself. The outer race, sometimes called a "cup", is pressed into the hub. There are two, one for the inner bearing, one for the outer. These are a light interference fit in the hub and can driven out with a punch and new ones tapped into place...but this is typically only done when new bearings are installed

Secondly:
the rear seal of the hub is a rubber seal - obviously. Is it just a rubber seal with no metal ring in it or is there a metal ring (like a crank seal etc.) in it as well? I removed my seals in order to get all "nasty" parts off and find it a little weird, that there are two metal rings on the stubs (see picture below)

As far as I know the ABS cars use the later, all rubber seal....as used on XJ40s and X300s. Non-ABS models have the earlier metal-and-rubber type.

On the X300s, at least, this later type seal is not pressed into the hub (as most of us are accustomed to) but, rather, is installed onto the stub axle and the hub installed over it. Installing it onto the stub axle can be a real stinker. Not sure if the same method is used on the ABS-equipped XJS. Others will chime in.

I'm not really sure what metal rings you are referring to

Thirdly and lastly:
as I noted in the "what did you ..." thread, one of the rotors for the ABS system has cracked and can't be used anymore. So I need to purchase a new one. How are they fitted? Are they pressed on or done via heat (heat in oven and then carefully push it in place)?

Do you mean the toothed reluctor wheel?

In my experience (again, on X300s...and other cars) these are a light interference fit. They can be carefully tapped into place with a hammer and drift. Others might have had different experiences.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Daim (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Daim
Would it be one or both of 4 or 5 below?

Hub and Stub Axle Carrier - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Also, how did you prepare the surface of the forgings before applying the PoR15, please?
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (09-11-2016), orangeblossom (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Daim, unless your stub axles are pristine l would seriously consider fitting new ones while you have everything apart. It takes very little wear on them to cause ride and steering issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
Daim (09-11-2016), warrjon (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Bax is right, they wear on the underside, and in the big scheme of things not that expensive to replace while you have it all apart.

Your car is the MY as mine, I bought front seals for a 1989 XJS with ABS and they were different from what was on there. I took them to my Jag parts guy and ended up with XJ40 seals.

Not sure about the reluctor ring mine were good so didn't need to remove them.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

@ Greg

Your pic shows two parts which aren't highlighted on the ABS version with reluctor wing. Parts 4 and 5. 5 looks like the ring I have on my hubs at the moment...

Regarding the POR15 preps:

Technically you just need to clean them and then paint. I wash them, remove the rust to get a rather even surface, degrease them and then wash them again using fresh water. Dry them and then mask off areas which shouldn't get a layer of paint due to either needing to reülace that part again or because it would make other parts not fit (like nut behind stub, stub itself, opening for lower balljoint, abs sensor opening). Apply it with a brush in 2 thim coats and done. When dry, you can scrape it off ot some areas it shouldn't have gotten.

@ Baxtor

I was going to do that, but I'm getting all parts I need in first. I will assemble the hub again on the old stubs but will replace them when I do the front brakes (as my XJ-S is stored outside and as I need to do the rear before I can drive again, the brakes would be rusty again before I can drive the car again...).

@ Warrjon

Now THAT sounds quite familiar. XJ40 parts lickily do pop into place... Just!

Last edited by Daim; 09-11-2016 at 09:51 AM.