XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake calipers: Replace or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake calipers: Replace or rebuild?

I recently tore into the front brakes on my XJ-S knowing I had a rotor that was being assaulted by bare metal brake pads (previous owner). I ordered pads and rotors and began the job knowing most likely I had a caliper problem hence the no pad on one side and meat left on the other. I didn't want to order a caliper until I got into the job and verified exactly what was wrong.

Once I got my driver's side apart, I could see that the dust boots were cracked and once I pushed them back in, the one piston started weeping brake fluid. Honestly the caliper looked like such hell once I got the wheel off I figured I would need one anyway. The passenger side seems just fine.

The pistons were not completely seized but there was a definite loss of fluid around them. My thoughts turned toward replacing the caliper. However, this is the first time I have ever had the time to actually rebuild the caliper myself as I don't need the car (it is a nice weather fun car and it is not regularly used in the winter.) I thought about it and I actually never rebuilt a caliper before period.

Opinions on this gents. Do I replace the caliper with one that is already rebuilt or do it myself? This will be my first time but it looks like after cleaning everything up and checking the pistons that I need a seal kit and that is about it. Is there anything else? Has anyone done this before? I am pretty handy with a car and the job seems easy enough but I don't know for sure. If it is easy as it seems, I may get two kits and redo both calipers for good measure while the car is apart. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You can buy a whole reman front caliper for under $50. It makes no sense in my mind to do it yourself. Rears are a little more expensive, so there might be some argument there.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Lots of guys have good luck with DIY caliper rebuilding....especially if done before the calipers have turned into rusty lumps of junk. Since yours seem to be in good shape I can't think of any overwhelming reason to advise *against* a DIY rebuild.

I'll only add that, with respect to the rears, you'll want to take the path which offers the highest probability of success first time at bat. If you open up the calipers and you any doubts, buy professionally rebuilt units

Cheers
DD

Old 01-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Doug: My calipers are actually not that bad but the dust boots were so dry rotted on the one that when I looked at it I could see it wasnt any good. The pistons still move but when I re-compressed them, a little fluid was weeping. Figured on just replacing/repairing them.

The rears are relatively new. I have photographic and invoiced evidence of the previous owner doing that job. He did a rear end rebuild and did calipers, pads and rotors all while the rear was out. I am not to worried about them there has been nothing there to indicate any problems.

I only asked about the rebuild because I have never actually done one. I have rebuilt engines a couple of times and done mostly everything you can with a car minus automatic transmission rebuilding. Every time I worked on a car for a customer or friend (used to be a mechanic way back) I used reman or new stuff when it came to calipers. I never had the time to leave the car apart while cleaning, sanding and rebuilding calipers.

The car is stationary right now due to the climate here. I am in the northeast and road salt is everywhere in the winter. I figured it is best to not drive my 35 year old British car on the road salt so that the body doesn't disintegrate under my feet.

Darel: Please send me a link if you have found a reman caliper for under 50 bucks. The cheapest I found for a front left was 58 bucks and the same for a front right. I figured on replacing/repairing both calipers as I never repair brakes on just one side of a vehicle. In my experience replacing one side of a cars brake system and not the other leads to uneven braking and the obvious uneven wear.

I thought since I had the time I'd rebuild them instead of shelling out 132 dollars (with shipping from rockauto). If you know of somewhere cheaper either on the internet or in a parts store I'd love to go the easy route. We have NAPA, Autozone and Advance plus smaller stores here if that helps.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am leaning toward the rebuild as it would only be 12 bucks for both calipers and the satisfaction of doing it myself. Any advice on the rebuild would help.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Check for wear and excees scuffing on the pistons and bores. If there's any doubt then play safe and renew the caliper.
Bear in mind that any "remanned" caliper is rebuilt anyway with possibly new pistons, so if your pistons and bores are ok then it's a good bet to rebuild them yourself.

Make sure everything including the area you are working in is spotlessly clean.
Clean the calipers before dissambly elsewhere to get all the crud off.

Clean all metal parts thoroughly with thinners before assembly. Do not use Wd-40, oil or grease of any sort (except special brake grease as below)

Use new brake nipples, for the cost it's worth it.

Use brake fluid on the ring seal to aid assembly, make sure it goes in square so the rubber is undamaged.

Use rubber/ brake grease to seal the dust cap aound the piston

Oh and keep everything spotless, did I mention that???

Once fitted and bled test carefully.

One more thing check out the quality of caliper rebuild kits, I'm not sure how but if you can buy the OEM part.

Last edited by anjum; 01-08-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My front calipers were $44 each from Rockauto. Could have been a closeout, although this was just a month ago. Let me know if you need a discount code.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

my 2 cents are... it really isn't much work to do the rebuild and seeing as you have to remove the caliper and bleed either way i say reman them, unless money isn't much of an issure to you

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM

I rebuilt my sticking driver-side front caliper using a Centric seal kit ($8.35 including shipping from ebay) about a month ago. It was my first time also and it took about 1 1/2 hours mainly because I had to go purchase a 5" C-clamp to push the piston in. Getting the dust boot on was a little tricky.
Pulled the tire off last weekend and there was not the slightest leak from the caliper and it has been functioning well.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 years ago I rebuilt two rears. After 4 years of the car rusting, this time I paid for four rebuilt calipers because it was cheaper than buying the new seals and pistons. Straight economics but I wish I had only paid $44

Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ss calipers worth it?

Ssbc offers stainless lined calipers. Are they worth it? My 82 could lock up standard and loose all steering! Nothing helps after that! But fast reflexes! 225s are overwhelmed by the stock setup!